Need advice on adding fish

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon Cube. Up until 2 days ago I had 2 clowns, 1 Starry Blenny, 1 engineer goby.
Unfortunately my female clown jumped the tank and I now only have 1 clown...

I am a newbie and am nervous about adding fish and risking illness as well as adding fish now that I have an established Starry Blenny.

My plan was to have a clown goby which I purchaser the same time I purchased the Starry. Unfortunately the clown goby died after 24 hours in QT. So, the Blenny ended up being added to the main tank and is now established there.

I want to add more fish but am not sure how to do it now that the Blenny hangs out all over the tank.

I LOVE my Starry!!! It is so funny to watch and it is always peeking at me. I don’t want to upset this personality.

I would like to add another clown to have a pair. I would also like to add. Few more fish that will swim around a bit in the open water.

I welcome any advise/comments.

Thanks

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about those losses. Typically here are things to consider when stocking fish:

- Try to have a plan ahead of time to see which fish are compatible or not. Make a list and try to narrow it down to what could work.
- Add fish in this order: from least aggressive to most aggressive
- If you are concerned about adding a new fish due to fish aggression, you can try using a small hang on/suction acclimation box in the tank. You put the new addition in there for a few days. This gives all the fish time to get familiar with each other without instant physical altercations
- It is up to you to decide if you want to continue QT'ing or not before adding in new additions. It is recommended, but recognizing its a bit of work to do so.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should absolutely get a tight lid, if you haven't already. All fish (except seahorses) can jump in the right circumstances.

Agreed with the above advice.

Engineer gobies get very large, over a foot long, and burrow/scape extensively. You may want to reconsider him.

Blennies are most likely to be aggressive towards other blenny-shaped fish. If you want midwater fish, look into cardinalfish. They are very much not blenny-shaped fish.

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about those losses. Typically here are things to consider when stocking fish:

- Try to have a plan ahead of time to see which fish are compatible or not. Make a list and try to narrow it down to what could work.
- Add fish in this order: from least aggressive to most aggressive
- If you are concerned about adding a new fish due to fish aggression, you can try using a small hang on/suction acclimation box in the tank. You put the new addition in there for a few days. This gives all the fish time to get familiar with each other without instant physical altercations
- It is up to you to decide if you want to continue QT'ing or not before adding in new additions. It is recommended, but recognizing its a bit of work to do so.
Thanks for your reply, I intend to continue QT'ing as I have a 10 gallon tank set up.

Unfortunately my plan that I had ahead of time about what fish to add when got messed up when the Clown Goby died... I wanted to have both the clown goby and the Starry Blenny in my tank but ended up having to add the Blenny without the goby since it died while the 2 were being QT'd side by side (divider between) in my 10 gallon. Now I find myself with my Blenny in the tank and concerned about possible agression.

The hanging box sounds like a good idea, I will check into that.

I'm thinking that I probably won't be able to add a clown goby now since the Blenny has established in the tank...?? What fish would be ok to add now that my Blenny is established?

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should absolutely get a tight lid, if you haven't already. All fish (except seahorses) can jump in the right circumstances.

Agreed with the above advice.

Engineer gobies get very large, over a foot long, and burrow/scape extensively. You may want to reconsider him.

Blennies are most likely to be aggressive towards other blenny-shaped fish. If you want midwater fish, look into cardinalfish. They are very much not blenny-shaped fish.
Thank you for your reply, I have already gone to the home store and bought screen and framing to make a new lid.

I intend to remove the engineer goby, although it is cool to watch. It belonged to my son.

I have thought about cardinal fish... I have heard that they can pick each other off... I was thinking about getting 3 ( not sure if that would work). I was looking a the pajama cardinals.

Any other peaceful fish you would recommend?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Threadfin cardinalfish should be kept in shoals, as they're shoaling fish. Other species will probably pick each other off. Best to just get one, unless they're a mated pair.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Cardinals are good open water swimmers and nice looking. Or you could have a Javanese and a Blue Damsel instead; they swim about really well and are very beautiful fishes for the paltry prices they bring.

IMG_2202.JPG

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back