Need advice on aussie elegance please

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up one about 10 inches when fully opened for $200. Is this a good price? Are they hardy? I just set up a 25g nano a couple of days ago with 1/2” of sand and 50% water from an existing tank.

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just put one in my brand new tank last week and it's fine. i would just keep an eye on it and make sure you're not overloading the tank too soon

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didnt come with a shrimp. When you say brand new tank you mean nothing was transferred from an existing tank? How old is your system?

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my elegance about 8 months ago, he is probably 8-10 inches across when fully opened, got him for $125 at LFS, so as far as price i guess it depends on where you live, also prices are going up on livestock due to covid. As far as hardiness, ive had no issues with mine at all

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you set up this new tank with existing media, sand, or rock from the old tank, not just water? If not check ammonia levels the tank is probably still cycling. Good luck with the elegance though sounds awesome!

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing i put into the new tank is 1/2 inch of sand and 50% water from my existing system.

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the sand should definitely help cycle the tank are your ammonia levels 0? If so I think you should be good just keep up with water changes and make sure that Ammonia stays at 0. I also believe elegance like to be target fed so maybe do some of that. Hope this helps!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pederson cleaner shrimp that's hosting in it too and it's the perfect addition to the tank
That cleaner shrimp will make a tasty snack for that elegance. It won't host it for very long. lol I have 3 currently, and anything that gets too close to become stuck by the tentacles, becomes a tasty snack.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent tested my water yet. Will do a WC in a couple of days. Thanks

Transferring water from an old tank doesn’t do anything to help the avoid a cycle. The sand will help a bit but I’d still expect a full cycle if you aren’t using well established live rock. I definitely think you jumped the gun on buying coral. I wish you luck though. Elegance aren’t always easy even in a well established tank.

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That cleaner shrimp will make a tasty snack for that elegance. It won't host it for very long. lol I have 3 currently, and anything that gets too close to become stuck by the tentacles, becomes a tasty snack.
it's been fine for the several weeks i've had them both in the tank. the shrimp is all over it, tentacles and all and hasn't been eaten. it literally does not leave the coral

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didnt come with a shrimp. When you say brand new tank you mean nothing was transferred from an existing tank? How old is your system?
i bought them separately, the shrimp just happened to chill in and around the coral so i just let it happen. it was originally in my 32g system that's about 4 months old and i put it in my brand new tank, but the tank is using cycled media from my 32. i'm not adding them to a fresh new tank with no bio filtration

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's been fine for the several weeks i've had them both in the tank. the shrimp is all over it, tentacles and all and hasn't been eaten. it literally does not leave the coral
Until one day it's not...... An elegance will eat anything it can, and gets within it's grasp. Ask the many poor departed snails, or several cleaner shrimp that my aussie elegance has eaten whether they think it's ok.

It's a wild creature that loves to eat, it's going to happen one day. Might not be tomorrow or the next day, but it will happen when the elegance gets hungry enough.

Anyone that has had an elegance for any amount of time, will trumpet what I've just said.

Their absolute beauty outweighs their voracious appetites for anything that gets to close.

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my current 180, Ive had a rather large Aussie elegance for over 18months now. It's skeleton is about 6-8" and when fully inflated, it extends over 18" with it's tentacles.

I'll say this. Aussie elegance corals are 100x easier to care for than Indo elegances.

A few tips:
•They're easy to feed but take forever to consume foods (reef roids, mysis shrimp, etc)
•They can and will kill and consume snails, crabs and shrimp as stated above especially if they're not fed to their liking
•They can and will also consume small fish especially if they're already in bad shape
•They also like low light to medium light and flow
•I always put them in the sand bed and cover most of their skeleton almost to the flesh which makes sure flow can't move them and keeps them secure

Figured I'd give you a bit of insight as to what I've figured out over the years.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mokan that’s a wealth of info. Thanks!
Mine is the first coral to open up when went on a frag binge a couple of days ago. The other ones are still closed up. Dont have any fish, shrimps, etc right now. About to do a 25% wc so i hope evryone will come out to play when the lights come on tonight.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back