OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently switched off of the nopox for my nutrient export right now I'm just running phosguard I was waiting for the vertex zeovit 2.0 reactor to be in stock and I was going to try running a zeovit system I haven't had any other problems with no pox in my other tank but the guys at my local fish store told me it might be the nopox that was hurting my corals so I stopped using it. As for Rodi water I have a newer 6 stage Bulk Reef Supply Rodi I've had it for about a month or two and I use the Red Sea Pro salt. I do a 20% water change weekly. Also I apologize I checked my reef log when I got home I had the phosphate mixed up with my smaller tank the phosphate in this tank is 0.08 and that's using the Red Sea nitrate and phosphate test kit. Crabs I don't know if you remember you try to help me out last time this happened a couple of months ago when my frogspawn died same thing it just started to generate slowly and it took one head then another had then finally a completely died that's when I lowered my lights.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can grow Hammer's and the whole lot, but always had torches melt away over time :confused:

Anyways,
Nitrates are too low as stated, above.

Could the leather be releasing toxins (chemical warfare) from sensing the other corals in the water flow?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently switched off of the nopox for my nutrient export right now I'm just running phosguard I was waiting for the vertex zeovit 2.0 reactor to be in stock and I was going to try running a zeovit system I haven't had any other problems with no pox in my other tank but the guys at my local fish store told me it might be the nopox that was hurting my corals so I stopped using it. As for Rodi water I have a newer 6 stage Bulk Reef Supply Rodi I've had it for about a month or two and I use the Red Sea Pro salt. I do a 20% water change weekly. Also I apologize I checked my reef log when I got home I had the phosphate mixed up with my smaller tank the phosphate in this tank is 0.08 and that's using the Red Sea nitrate and phosphate test kit. Crabs I don't know if you remember you try to help me out last time this happened a couple of months ago when my frogspawn died same thing it just started to generate slowly and it took one head then another had then finally a completely died that's when I lowered my lights.
JMO...
You have a wonderful mixed reef.
You can do what you want, but I would not go Zeovit.

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll agree with this and also add that high phosphate with zero nitrate could also be a contribution. soft and LPS corals tend to like a little dirtier water with nitrates around 5ppm. But your phosphate is high at .64 What are your nutrient export methods? Are you running a refugium or any reactors? Do you use ro/di water for your water changes and if so when were the filters last changed?

I just recently switched off of using nopox cuz it's someone at my local fish store told me that that could be the cause for the corals dying but I use nopox in my other tank and I haven't stopped and I have no loss in my other tank it's just really random when it happens that's why I'm trying to pinpoint what it is nothing really changes. I have to apologize to I messed up when I got home I looked at my reef log and I was confused with my other tank my phosphate in this tank is 0.08 and that's what the Red Sea nitrate and phosphate test kit. I do have a r o d i unit it's a bulkreefsupply 6 stage r o d i unit it's about a month or two old and I use Red Sea Pro salt. I do 20% water changes weekly. Besides two-part dosing with calcium and alkalinity daily control by the Apex dose I dose before Red Sea Trace elements a b c and d. Krabs I don't know if you remember but a couple of months ago you tried to help me with my frogspawn was dying that's when I lowered my lights. Thank you again and thank you for trying to help me now

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting for sure. I'm curious to see if it's related to the softies. As frustrating as it is, this hobby keeps us learning.
Yes it is frustrating and it's at our expense when we learn but it would be nice to figure out what's causing it to not only help myself but help others in the future with the same issue.

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long does it take for them to start melting away after adding them to the tank?

the tank is absolutely BEAUTIFUL btw.
Thank you very much :)
That or should I just posted that is currently degenerating away I've had that for almost a year in the tank now it started off as two heads it recently split into three it just hasn't completely split yet.

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO...
You have a wonderful mixed reef.
You can do what you want, but I would not go Zeovit.

Thank you very much. Do you have another suggestion for nutrient export I was just looking for something to get away from the nopox because that's what I was told might be damaging my corals. I am open to any suggestions. I'll be truthful with you I am actually afraid of switching to the zeovit system because of the zero nutrients you keep your tank at.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just based on my own experience but I wouldn't be so sure the leather is the culprit. I have lost a few euphyllias over the years and have never had a leather in my tank. not saying your reason for loss is the same as it was for me, just an observation.

I've bought euphyllias from multiple vendors. Only once did they perish, and from a single vendor, one-two weeks after arrival. I narrowed it down to either damage during shipping and/or BJD (they deteriorated rapidly, in one day they went from alive to dead). That was a year ago and since them I've purchased Euphyllias from other vendors without a single death. I can't help but think it has something to do with the vendor....

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. Do you have another suggestion for nutrient export I was just looking for something to get away from the nopox because that's what I was told might be damaging my corals.
I do things pretty different, but I don't carbon dose either.

Run: Bare Botton
Run: an Purigen reactor to work with my skimmer
Tumble Rowa (GFO) in it's own reactor
Preform an 18% weekly water change and feed on the heavy side.

What works for one might not work for the other.
I'd drop the Phosguard (it contains aluminum) and tumble (GFO) in it's own reactor, but start out at a very low dose, to bring down the phosphates real slow.

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just based on my own experience but I wouldn't be so sure the leather is the culprit. I have lost a few euphyllias over the years and have never had a leather in my tank. not saying your reason for loss is the same as it was for me, just an observation.

I've bought euphyllias from multiple vendors. Only once did they perish, and from a single vendor, one-two weeks after arrival. I narrowed it down to either damage during shipping and/or BJD (they deteriorated rapidly, in one day they went from alive to dead). That was a year ago and since them I've purchased Euphyllias from other vendors without a single death. I can't help but think it has something to do with the vendor....
That's what they first said when I first had this happen my local fish store where I bought the tank and a lot of my corals from they thought it was brown jelly when I lost my first gold torch so he had me you know do a bunch of water changes and stuff but you see in the picture how is deteriorating does that look like brown jelly disease to you?

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do things pretty different, but I don't carbon dose either.

Run: Bare Botton
Run: an Purigen reactor to work with my skimmer
Tumble Rowa (GFO) in it's own reactor
Pre-form an 18% weekly water change and feed on the heavy side.

What works for one might not work for the other.
I'd drop the Phosguard (it contains aluminum) and tumble (GFO) in it's own reactor, but start out at a very low dose, to bring down the phosphates real slow.

Thank you very much for the advice I know each tank is its own entity but like I said I was kind of afraid of the zeovit and I have been kicking back and forth the gfo in its own reactor

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the rest of the torch looks okay. I suspect BJD possibly. Unless you have a worm attacking it or possibly a peppermint shrimp, they can kill Euphyilla corals.

If it's expelling "brown" jelly:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-there-a-way-to-eliminate-brown-jelly-disease.213055/
Thank you for the reply and I will look up the link you have posted and try anything to stop this from happening. I just don't see the brown jelly but all the symptoms may point to that.

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK @Flippers4pups I read the thread and I dipped the torch in a peroxide dip 50 50 and sucked off the dead pieces and glued over the skeleton. Fingers crossed I hope it works. Thank you all again for the advise. Still open to suggestions

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update from last night the torch is still dying on the same head slowly but surely :( I will try and remove as much dead tissue as possible and dip again.

20180517_190539.jpg

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my Euphyllia corals when my carbon needs replacing. If not using already, get a couple PhosBan reactors (or similar) and one have GFO and the other one with a quality Carbon.

I had been having issues with LPS, mainly Euphyllia for sometime in my current tank, which is a mixed LPS/ Softie. I had a bag of carbon in high flow area, but didn’t really see any improvement until I started running a reactor with the carbon.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat currently and or getting out of it.

Everything was doing great and I remember the first time Reefer Deez posted about his Euphyllia coral issue. Then all of a sudden I started to loose one torch head over night for brown jelly. Then one more and it continued!!!

I attribute that to flow changes and nutrient export methods I choose. I Never ran Bio Pellets, so I decided to try. That’s the big change and boom the issues started. So I removed my Bio, started to run carbon and gfo separately in each reactor vs. mixing them. Re adjusted my flow. I am seeing some stability.

If this helps u in any things to consider: in my experience I have 3 root causes.
A. Flow change due to aqua scape changes
B. Dreadful Bio Pellets or anything that makes Nitrates goto zero
C. BrownJelly spreading and killing my other Euphyllia?? Doubtful but not off the list....

But As I reverted back to how my tank initially was, I am seeing that it’s gaining stability.

You have a great looking tank and don’t give up. Keep us posted. It’s the same torch that I lost too!!’

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my Euphyllia corals when my carbon needs replacing. If not using already, get a couple PhosBan reactors (or similar) and one have GFO and the other one with a quality Carbon.

I had been having issues with LPS, mainly Euphyllia for sometime in my current tank, which is a mixed LPS/ Softie. I had a bag of carbon in high flow area, but didn’t really see any improvement until I started running a reactor with the carbon.

I am in the same boat currently and or getting out of it.

Everything was doing great and I remember the first time Reefer Deez posted about his Euphyllia coral issue. Then all of a sudden I started to loose one torch head over night for brown jelly. Then one more and it continued!!!

I attribute that to flow changes and nutrient export methods I choose. I Never ran Bio Pellets, so I decided to try. That’s the big change and boom the issues started. So I removed my Bio, started to run carbon and gfo separately in each reactor vs. mixing them. Re adjusted my flow. I am seeing some stability.

If this helps u in any things to consider: in my experience I have 3 root causes.
A. Flow change due to aqua scape changes
B. Dreadful Bio Pellets or anything that makes Nitrates goto zero
C. BrownJelly spreading and killing my other Euphyllia?? Doubtful but not off the list....

But As I reverted back to how my tank initially was, I am seeing that it’s gaining stability.

You have a great looking tank and don’t give up. Keep us posted. It’s the same torch that I lost too!!’
Thank you very much @mahindra.dev I really appreciate the compliment :)
I already run carbon rox in a reactor but my plans are to go tonight when I get off from work and buy 2 reactors
1 for gfo
1 for purigun for Nitrate control
Once again thank you everyone for all the help! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back