Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon mixed reef, with about a 3" sand bed. I already have a sand star, but I was thinking of adding a red sea star or a fromia. Is that to much?
The sand star is not competition for the other two, but the other stars are significantly more demanding. Due to their specific dietary needs, both the Red Sea or Fromia need a well established tank of 100+g.
I've got a 35g cube (20"x20"x20") that is still cycling and I'm planning out my fish list. Tell me what you think.

Fish owned
Line spot flasher wrasse
Golden Dwarf Moray
Ocelaris clown(2)

Fish wanted
Black cap basslet
Clown Goby
Two spot goby
Sapphire Damsel
Pink streak wrasse
Starry blenny
Lemon chromis
I would be wary of a two spot goby in a 35g tank. Though they are small, they can really burn through microfauna in a aand bed.

Also, I have found lemon chromis to be pretty territorial, and would not be a good fit with the other species in a 35g tank.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be wary of a two spot goby in a 35g tank. Though they are small, they can really burn through microfauna in a aand bed.

Also, I have found lemon chromis to be pretty territorial, and would not be a good fit with the other species in a 35g tank.

I was worried about those two. The two spot would be a late addition, if at all, once the tank has built up a bunch of microfauna in the sand. Lemon chromis is an attempt to get yellow color in a fish. Any suggestions on a peaceful yellow fish, and possibly a smaller sand sifter? I'm really looking for something to keep the sand churned up.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand star is not competition for the other two, but the other stars are significantly more demanding. Due to their specific dietary needs, both the Red Sea or Fromia need a well established tank of 100+g.
That's what I was thinking, they are just to big. Guess I'm going to have to get a bigger tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about those two. The two spot would be a late addition, if at all, once the tank has built up a bunch of microfauna in the sand. Lemon chromis is an attempt to get yellow color in a fish. Any suggestions on a peaceful yellow fish, and possibly a smaller sand sifter? I'm really looking for something to keep the sand churned up.
For a peaceful yellow fish, a yellow assessor can't be beat.

Personally, I recommend leaving the sandbed alone and letting the beneficial microfauna in the sandbed do it's job. But, if you really want something for the sandbed, hectori or rainsfordi gobies, while not easy, are easier than twin spot gobies. A small conch, such as a fighting conch can also keep the top of the sand clean. Also, a handful of nassarius snails can turn over the sand without depleting the microfauna.
What fish on my list need to be in before the damsels? Everything but the tangs? Or doesn't mater?
Get the cardinals and goby before the damsels. After that, order doesn't matter.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a peaceful yellow fish, a yellow assessor can't be beat.

Personally, I recommend leaving the sandbed alone and letting the beneficial microfauna in the sandbed do it's job. But, if you really want something for the sandbed, hectori or rainsfordi gobies, while not easy, are easier than twin spot gobies. A small conch, such as a fighting conch can also keep the top of the sand clean. Also, a handful of nassarius snails can turn over the sand without depleting the microfauna.

Thank you @eatbreakfast

QuixoticReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 Gallon cube with bommie style reef with a lot of caves and holes
Current stock:
2x Ocellaris Clownfish
2x Kaudern's Cardinalfish
1x Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse
1x Social Fairy wrasse

looking to add:

1x Flame Angel (I know it might nip at corals, clams )
1x Tailspot Blenny

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 Gallon cube with bommie style reef with a lot of caves and holes
Current stock:
2x Ocellaris Clownfish
2x Kaudern's Cardinalfish
1x Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse
1x Social Fairy wrasse

looking to add:

1x Flame Angel (I know it might nip at corals, clams )
1x Tailspot Blenny
As long as the filtration is adequate, those fish should be compatible.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast can you please tell me if this is a good stocking order for my 90g/40b sump? I have also separated the new additions into how they will be quarantined together or in some cases alone (20g). I am trying to be more calculated with my fish stocking this time around. Thanks!

Current Livestock
2 x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
1 x Helfrichi Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
1 x Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)

Planned Livestock
1 x Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)

1 x Red Tail Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses chrysocephalus)

1 x Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
1 x Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)

1 x Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia)
1 x Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula)

1 x Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus flavicauda)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast can you please tell me if this is a good stocking order for my 90g/40b sump? I have also separated the new additions into how they will be quarantined together or in some cases alone (20g). I am trying to be more calculated with my fish stocking this time around. Thanks!

Current Livestock
2 x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
1 x Helfrichi Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
1 x Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)

Planned Livestock
1 x Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)

1 x Red Tail Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses chrysocephalus)

1 x Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
1 x Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)

1 x Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia)
1 x Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula)

1 x Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus flavicauda)
That should work.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a flame, coral beauty, and a lemon peel angelfish be okay together in a 75g? Would they need to be added all at the same time if so?
I would recommend against 3 Centropyge in a 75g tank. Figure each angel needs 50g apiece.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 150 gallon (72x18X28) as a (mostly) FOWLR tank to keep fish I'm interested in that either won't fit or wouldn't do well in my 40 gallon reef tank. I don't believe I will be able to keep all fish in the below list together but I'd like your thoughts on which fish from the list should not be put together so I can start deciding which to remove from the list. If you could also tell me which fish from the list should for sure be added together, that would be great too!

3x Bangaii Cardinals Pterapogon kauderni
5-7x Blue/Green Chromis Chromis viridis
One Spot Foxface Siganus unimaculatus
Blue Spotted Puffer Canthigaster solandri
Harlequin Tusk Choerodon fasciatus
Rectangle Triggerfish Rhinecanthus rectangulus
Blue Throat Triggerfish Xanthichthys auromarginatus
Powder Blue Tang Acanthurus leucosternon (Could I keep a couple yellow tangs with this guy?)
Six Line Wrasse Pseudocheilinus hexataenia
Eibli Angelfish Centropyge eibli
Bicolor Angelfish Centropyge bicolor

Thanks in advance!

KCDallas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be putting this on the wrong spot - sorry first post.

Im currently cycling my 57G and finding I'm more interested in inverts when it comes time. Snails, shrimp, clams, urchins, stars, slugs and cucumbers. What are some absolute no no fish for a set up like this, and what potential problems/cons do you see?

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 150 gallon (72x18X28) as a (mostly) FOWLR tank to keep fish I'm interested in that either won't fit or wouldn't do well in my 40 gallon reef tank. I don't believe I will be able to keep all fish in the below list together but I'd like your thoughts on which fish from the list should not be put together so I can start deciding which to remove from the list. If you could also tell me which fish from the list should for sure be added together, that would be great too!

3x Bangaii Cardinals Pterapogon kauderni
5-7x Blue/Green Chromis Chromis viridis
One Spot Foxface Siganus unimaculatus
Blue Spotted Puffer Canthigaster solandri
Harlequin Tusk Choerodon fasciatus
Rectangle Triggerfish Rhinecanthus rectangulus
Blue Throat Triggerfish Xanthichthys auromarginatus
Powder Blue Tang Acanthurus leucosternon (Could I keep a couple yellow tangs with this guy?)
Six Line Wrasse Pseudocheilinus hexataenia
Eibli Angelfish Centropyge eibli
Bicolor Angelfish Centropyge bicolor

Thanks in advance!
Don't get 3 bangaii Cardinals. Two will probably up and kill the third.

In a 150g only get one yellow tang.

A yellow tang will be fine with a powder blue, but put the yellow tang in first.

The rest should be fine if the filtration can handle the bioload.

I might be putting this on the wrong spot - sorry first post.

Im currently cycling my 57G and finding I'm more interested in inverts when it comes time. Snails, shrimp, clams, urchins, stars, slugs and cucumbers. What are some absolute no no fish for a set up like this, and what potential problems/cons do you see?

Thanks
Triggers, puffers, eels, and non reef safe wrasses will go after much of this stock.

Without specific species on the inverts it's impossible to predict all the complications. Some species in all these varieties of inverts can be more predatory than others.

Get NO groupers! Avoid all meat eaters actually...
Groupers are fine with urchins, clams, stars, slugs, and cukes.

Really most fish are opportunistic meat eaters.

MiguelCS71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let you know from experience...."shrimp & groupers" don't go well together! Except as food!!! And when your chromis start disappearing, guess who![emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]groupers [emoji176][emoji176][emoji176]chromis too!
I only say this from 'personal experience' that's all.....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back