Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by mdbannister, May 8, 2015.

1. MiguelCS71

MiguelCS71 Well-Known Member

Both loving the hobby makes everything sooooo much easier and fulfilling!

MamaLovesHerReefTank likes this.

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

It should be fine. The Cori's may or may not be a little aggressive the first day or so, but use a social acclimation box and you should be fine.

MamaLovesHerReefTank likes this.
  3. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

I'll go next - I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 (32 gallon display) that currently houses a common clownfish (not sure whether percula or ocellaris) and a Midas blenny that don't bother each other. I have a pink streaked wrasse in QT (who is obviously going in next). The mobile invert is a cleaner shrimp who runs all over the place, and there's a brittle star that lurks in the background (or foreground) - not the olive one that eats fish.

My questions:
    1) I'm thinking of adding either a P. fridmani (not P. porphyreus!) or a royal gramma next, or a pair if my tank has enough volume and I can determine how to find a pair that won't fight each other; I was initially thinking P. fridmani but since the pink streaked wrasse is quite shy in QT, I'm wondering if a gramma isn't a better tankmate.
    2) I'm wondering if a Yasha shimp goby would be a good addition as well (or if that would be too many fish); my goal would be a social, colorful, sand level fish that doesn't actually drop sand on coral frags. There's a candy cane pistol in there . . . somewhere. In theory.
    3) If I did go with a gramma, how do I make sure that I'm getting the milder G. loreto and not the more aggressive one from Brazil?

Thanks in advance!

4. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Pink streak wrasses are very peaceful. Even though a fridmani is more peaceful than a porphyrus, it still may be too much for a pink streak in a 32g, a Gramma is a better choice.

A yasha should be fine, they add very little bioload.

5. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Thanks! If I wanted to add a pair of grammas, should I just add 2 small ones and hope that they aren't both male? Or is there a better way to do this . . . I read an article that said to get 2 very differently sized grammas and do it that way

6. eatbreakfast

In that size tank I would recommend only 1 gramma. Clownfish, midas blenny, and royal gramma all defend a territory. Having 3 territorial fish in a 32g is beyyer than 4 territorial fish.

Orm Embar likes this.
  7. bean2986

bean2986 Well-Known Member CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

How are Scissortail Dartfish when being added to conspecifics in a DT (180g)? I ordered a trio from LA and 2 came DOA. I’d rather not have a single, but I also don’t have a third QT to get new fish into the DT at the same time as this lone survivor...

Thanks for any input.

8. eatbreakfast

They are super peaceful with each other. No problem adding new ones to an existing one.

bean2986 likes this.
  9. tidefanjam

tidefanjam Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

OK, DT is finally ready, 65 gallon w/ a 20 gallon sump, reef octopus 2000 HOB skimmer, was thinking about starting with 3 pajama cardinals and a starry night blenny, would this be ok for a start?

D4B21F19-2AF9-4592-A726-8591F4FD803F.jpeg

10. eatbreakfast

I would recommend starting with the Cardinals, wait a couple of weeks, test parameters, then if everything is fine add the starry blenny.

11. tidefanjam

tidefanjam Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

what would be a suitable wrasse for my size tank?

12. Novareefer57

Novareefer57 Member

Wandering if a melanaurus(however you spell it) wrasse would work in my 45G mixed reef with the Carib sea Hawaiian Arag-alive substrate. Sand bed is 2-3in

13. eatbreakfast

Falsher wrasse or one of the smaller fairy wrasse species.
    That's a borderline too small tank, but should be ok.

14. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Active Member

Will be upgrading to a 50 gallon in the near future (36x18x18)
    Currently stock
    2 ocellaris
    1 decorated firefish
    Couple snails and hermits

Frogspawn
    Kenya tree
    Assorted Polyps

Have had this setup for about 3 years and havent experimented much with other fish.

Would the following mix well with the above
    1 Chalk Bass
    and then i was lost lol
    A peaceful wrasse or long fin cardinal pair? Want something that is striking in coloration and swims in open water so not a blenny lol

15. Instigate

Instigate Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

6' 135 Gallon

What I've got:
    Tailspot Blenny (Still in QT)

Green Tip Torch
    Neon Green Candy Cane
    Eagle Eyes Zoa
    Radioactive Dragon Eyes Zoa
    Hollywood Stunner Chalice
    Purple Hammer
    Christmas Favia
    Striped Favia

2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

What I want:
    Melanurus Wrasse
    3 Schooling Bannerfish (Heniochus diphreutes)
    Banggi Cardinal Pair
    Hi Fin Red Banded Goby and Red Banded Snapping Shrimp
    Bubble Tip Anemone
    Ocellaris Clownfish Pair
    Two Barred Foxface
    Dwarf Flame Angel or Coral Beauty Angel
    Azure Damsel
    Blue Sapphire Damsel (Chrysiptera springeri)
    Yellow Eye Kole Tang and Yellow Tang
    Tridacna Clam
    Maybe a Powder Blue Tang if I'm feeling confident.

Clean Up Crew:
    -As Needed-
    Trochus Snail
    Cerith Snail
    Nassarius Snail
    Peppermint Shrimp
    Emerald Crab
    Blue Tuxedo Urchin

Pretty sure that list is all good except I'm not sure about the two damsels. They're suppose to be the more peaceful damsels but seems sketchy. Let me know, thanks.

/Also I think with all those fish I feel like I would be pushing it as far as bio load and space.
    Interested in thoughts about that. This is what the rock structure looks like right now:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-first-fish-tank.317153/page-5

16. eatbreakfast

Those options should be fine with what you have.

The biggest issues are that the coral beauty or flame angel may nip at some of the corals or clam.

The other issue is that Heniochus acuminuatus is frequently mislabeled as H. diphreutes, H. acuminuatus will eat some corals.

Instigate likes this.
  17. Instigate

Instigate Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Oh good, I was aware of those issues and really the angels are more of a maybe. I'm glad I can have a couple damsels, love the look but hate the reputation.

18. eatbreakfast

Azure and springeri damsels are quite mellow.

Instigate likes this.
  19. Roy 9121

Roy 9121 Well-Known Member SCMAS Member

I have a 55 gallon mixed reef, with about a 3" sand bed. I already have a sand star, but I was thinking of adding a red sea star or a fromia. Is that to much?

20. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I've got a 35g cube (20"x20"x20") that is still cycling and I'm planning out my fish list. Tell me what you think.

Fish owned
    Line spot flasher wrasse
    Golden Dwarf Moray
    Ocelaris clown(2)

Fish wanted
    Black cap basslet
    Clown Goby
    Two spot goby
    Sapphire Damsel
    Pink streak wrasse
    Starry blenny
    Lemon chromis