Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some input. I’m not certain on what fish I want in my biocube 32. I know I for sure want 2 clownfish and either a flame angel or coral beauty. Other than those I don’t know what else I would want. Any ideas?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix several differing type goby's? I have Lawn Mower blenny now. Will it get rowdy with the similar goby? Thanks.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix several differing type goby's? I have Lawn Mower blenny now. Will it get rowdy with the similar goby? Thanks.

Try not to mix body types, like lawnmower and starry. Other than that you will probably be okay unless your tank is small or you have particularly aggressive gobies and blennies. My starry is a jerk, has no problem going after anybody lol

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright tons of progress lately. Our 120g is finally cycled. We currently have 5 Chromis in the tank swimming and eating well. So let me throw my list out and see what y'all think.

Wondering overall compatibility for all of these. If I need to eliminate any because of another particular fish on the list. Or at what fish on the list is it too many for a 120g(or am I light on fish). They are ordered in the line of importance to my wife haha not the order in which we would add them. Mandarin will be last likely.

Chromis x 5
Clown Fish x 2
Midas Blenny
Green Mandarin
Yellow Tang
Kole Tang
Zebra Barred Dartfish/Goby x 2
Red Head Solon Wrasse OR Red Velvet Wrasse OR Orange Back Wrasse (Trying to eliminate down to a single wrasse that will be the best fit.)
Yellow Watchman Goby + Tiger Pistol
Swales Swiss Guard Basslet

Not sure how compatible these two are with the other options

Firefish
Marine Betta

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some input. I’m not certain on what fish I want in my biocube 32. I know I for sure want 2 clownfish and either a flame angel or coral beauty. Other than those I don’t know what else I would want. Any ideas?
Flame and coral beauty angels are big and active for a biocube. If you go with one and a pr of clowns, maybe a watchman goby or a stigmatura blenny, otherwise not much else for bioload.
Lawn mower blennies are most aggressive toward other fish that perch, so a watchman or sifter goby will be fine, as these stay on the sand and the blenny stays to the rocks.
Alright tons of progress lately. Our 120g is finally cycled. We currently have 5 Chromis in the tank swimming and eating well. So let me throw my list out and see what y'all think.

Wondering overall compatibility for all of these. If I need to eliminate any because of another particular fish on the list. Or at what fish on the list is it too many for a 120g(or am I light on fish). They are ordered in the line of importance to my wife haha not the order in which we would add them. Mandarin will be last likely.

Chromis x 5
Clown Fish x 2
Midas Blenny
Green Mandarin
Yellow Tang
Kole Tang
Zebra Barred Dartfish/Goby x 2
Red Head Solon Wrasse OR Red Velvet Wrasse OR Orange Back Wrasse (Trying to eliminate down to a single wrasse that will be the best fit.)
Yellow Watchman Goby + Tiger Pistol
Swales Swiss Guard Basslet

Not sure how compatible these two are with the other options

Firefish
Marine Betta
All of those fish are compatible.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the Marine Betta and Firefish will get along with all of the others?

Is it too many fish for a 120g or could I actually pull off having all of those fish?

Any pro/con on the Wrasse? Or all pretty similar? They are all fairy Wrasse so maybe they are all pretty similar?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the Marine Betta and Firefish will get along with all of the others?

Is it too many fish for a 120g or could I actually pull off having all of those fish?

Any pro/con on the Wrasse? Or all pretty similar? They are all fairy Wrasse so maybe they are all pretty similar?
Yes, including the marine betta and firefish.

That bioload seems reasonable for a 120.

Those fairy wrasses care and disposition is comparable.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. Big help and really exciting. Seems like a ton of stuff after having my little biocube for so long.

Any recommendations on the order to add them. We own the chromis, clowns, and Midas already.

Assumed the mandarin will be last. Any other ones on the list I need to add early or late?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. Big help and really exciting. Seems like a ton of stuff after having my little biocube for so long.

Any recommendations on the order to add them. We own the chromis, clowns, and Midas already.

Assumed the mandarin will be last. Any other ones on the list I need to add early or late?
Firefish early, tangs late. Other than those order isn't important on this list.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. I’ll add the firefish next. Probably going to wait 2 weeks and let the chromis settle first. Make sure my tank is doing it’s thing. I have a feeling catching my Midas Blenny in the other tank is going to be a nightmare.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, So figure if I want several other goby types / rock perchers ,the lawn mower is gonna have to go.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again ! Not sure what I want at this point but a clown goby(pretty small ) would be .
Sorry I can't figure how to quote 1 LOL. I'll figure it out. Thanks Man

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6' 135 Gallon LPS Dominant Mixed Reef

What I've got:
Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
2x Banggi Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni) <-- In QT
Saphire Damsel (Chrysiptera springeri) <-- In QT; This guy will be living in my frag tank (once out of QT) until I get the rest of the more peaceful fish in the DT.

2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
1 Emerald Crab (Mithraculus sculptus)
10 Trochus Snail (Trochus sp.)
8 Nassarius Snail (Nassarius distortus)

What I want:
Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
Randall's Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli) or Yellow Prawn Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)
Azure Damsel (Chrysiptera hemicyanea)
Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
Scribbled Rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus) or Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus)
Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish Pair (Amphiprion ocellaris var.)
Yellow Eye Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or Two Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) and Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) or Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
Maxima Clam Blue (Tridacna maxima)

Maybe:
Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) - Scared of tang aggression and poor survivability in QT.
Dwarf Flame Angel (Centropyge loricula) or Coral Beauty Angel (Centropyge bispinosa) - Scared of them eating my corals.
3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis) - Poor survivability in QT. OR maybe a trio of Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis) or Randall's Anthias (Pseudanthias randalli) - I only feed twice a day and don't really want to set up an auto feeder.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6' 135 Gallon LPS Dominant Mixed Reef

What I've got:
Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
2x Banggi Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni) <-- In QT
Saphire Damsel (Chrysiptera springeri) <-- In QT; This guy will be living in my frag tank (once out of QT) until I get the rest of the more peaceful fish in the DT.

2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
1 Emerald Crab (Mithraculus sculptus)
10 Trochus Snail (Trochus sp.)
8 Nassarius Snail (Nassarius distortus)

What I want:
Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
Randall's Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli) or Yellow Prawn Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)
Azure Damsel (Chrysiptera hemicyanea)
Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
Scribbled Rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus) or Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus)
Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish Pair (Amphiprion ocellaris var.)
Yellow Eye Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or Two Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) and Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) or Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
Maxima Clam Blue (Tridacna maxima)

Maybe:
Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) - Scared of tang aggression and poor survivability in QT.
Dwarf Flame Angel (Centropyge loricula) or Coral Beauty Angel (Centropyge bispinosa) - Scared of them eating my corals.
3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis) - Poor survivability in QT. OR maybe a trio of Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis) or Randall's Anthias (Pseudanthias randalli) - I only feed twice a day and don't really want to set up an auto feeder.
If your only feeding twice daily then I would be concerned about increased aggression from the tangs, so I would leave out the powder blue. It would also cause me to worry about the angels nipping corals or your clam as they graze for more to eat. And I would skip the anthias on only two feedings a day.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only feeding twice daily then I would be concerned about increased aggression from the tangs, so I would leave out the powder blue. It would also cause me to worry about the angels nipping corals or your clam as they graze for more to eat. And I would skip the anthias on only two feedings a day.

What would you feed in auto feeder during the hours we are at work? Just curious, as I will have a few tangs in my new build.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you feed in auto feeder during the hours we are at work? Just curious, as I will have a few tangs in my new build.
I feed New Life Spectrum Ther A sinking pellets, but there are a variety of pellets that would be fine.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back