Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on this stocking list for a long time, about 6 months. That's when I found out I was moving for my job and would be going with a bigger tank (which is supposed to arrive in the next 2 days).

Any way, this is what I would LIKE to have. I know it is a lot of fish, but due to their size and the spaces they inhabit, I think its OK.

I think bioload will be manageable as well as I will be using a skimmer and an algae scrubber.

Tank will be mixed corals but predominately LPS / soft corals. I wont be chasing numbers and a little "dirty" water does not bother me.

tank dimensions are 59"L x 22.6"W x 22"H (RSR 525XL). 108 gallon display.

The rock work will consist of reefcleaners for base rock. The base will be for the sake of a better term "outlined" down low with tonga plate. I will provide plenty of caves and swim throughs as I know many of the fish I have chosen like that.

1 bristletooth tomini tang (added last)
3 royal gramma
3 anthias (bartletts or dispar)
1 McCoskers flasher wrasse
1 linespot flasher wrasse
1 orangeback fairy wrasse
1 hooded fairy wrasse
3 zebra barred dartfish
2 purple firefish
3 harptail blenny
2 tailspot blenny
4 barnacle blenny
1 sifting goby
2 orange stripe prawn goby w pistol shrimp
2 hi fin redband goby w pistol shrimp

This is a total of 30 fish, approximately 95 inches when full grown according to Live Aquaria.

If you think I'm nuts (and have the experience to justify calling me nuts), please do so! I tend to listen very well to certain experienced folks on here.

I'm really looking for activity at all levels, as well as groups or pairs..........and PEACE!

Thanks for your opinions and experience in advance, and please feel free to offer up modifications to this list to help me get what I am looking for.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on this stocking list for a long time, about 6 months. That's when I found out I was moving for my job and would be going with a bigger tank (which is supposed to arrive in the next 2 days).

Any way, this is what I would LIKE to have. I know it is a lot of fish, but due to their size and the spaces they inhabit, I think its OK.

I think bioload will be manageable as well as I will be using a skimmer and an algae scrubber.

Tank will be mixed corals but predominately LPS / soft corals. I wont be chasing numbers and a little "dirty" water does not bother me.

tank dimensions are 59"L x 22.6"W x 22"H (RSR 525XL). 108 gallon display.

The rock work will consist of reefcleaners for base rock. The base will be for the sake of a better term "outlined" down low with tonga plate. I will provide plenty of caves and swim throughs as I know many of the fish I have chosen like that.

1 bristletooth tomini tang (added last)
3 royal gramma
3 anthias (bartletts or dispar)
1 McCoskers flasher wrasse
1 linespot flasher wrasse
1 orangeback fairy wrasse
1 hooded fairy wrasse
3 zebra barred dartfish
2 purple firefish
3 harptail blenny
2 tailspot blenny
4 barnacle blenny
1 sifting goby
2 orange stripe prawn goby w pistol shrimp
2 hi fin redband goby w pistol shrimp

This is a total of 30 fish, approximately 95 inches when full grown according to Live Aquaria.

If you think I'm nuts (and have the experience to justify calling me nuts), please do so! I tend to listen very well to certain experienced folks on here.

I'm really looking for activity at all levels, as well as groups or pairs..........and PEACE!

Thanks for your opinions and experience in advance, and please feel free to offer up modifications to this list to help me get what I am looking for.
That list looks good. My only concerns would be the 3 harptail blennies, as they can be intolerant of their own kind, unless a bonded pr. And also the stigmatura pr, as they also can fight.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That list looks good. My only concerns would be the 3 harptail blennies, as they can be intolerant of their own kind, unless a bonded pr. And also the stigmatura pr, as they also can fight.
Thanks for your input eatbreakfast.
for the harptail and stigmatura, I would be willing to watch DD patiently to find a pair or trio. Same with both goby pairs.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if i can put a harlequin shrimp in my tank with a melanarus wrasse? I have a MASSIVE asterina starfish problem and i want one to help take care of it. After the problem is taken care of i plan to either put in a nano tank and buy starfish or pass along to other club members with the same problem.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if i can put a harlequin shrimp in my tank with a melanarus wrasse? I have a MASSIVE asterina starfish problem and i want one to help take care of it. After the problem is taken care of i plan to either put in a nano tank and buy starfish or pass along to other club members with the same problem.
I have added harlequin shrimp to tanks with melanurus and mystery wrasses for the exact same reason and the shrimp was ignored. For some reason the shrimp's markings convey that he is venomous. However, I would still be wary adding one because melanurus can strike before realizing what they are striking at.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Lagoon 25 gallon - 24 x 20 x 12"

I'm beginning to work on the stand and brainstorming a stock list. I haven't had a tank this small before and I don't want to overstock it. I do want a decent amount of action in the tank though. Hard line to walk!

Option 1: 3 x chromis and 2 x clown fish be to much for a tank this size? I know clown fish get territorial of space.
Option 2: 3 x chromis , 2 x bangaii cardinal

Thoughts? Thanks!

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a diamond goby or sand sifting goby. The issue I have is that I really like sand bed LPS like plate and brain coral. I've talked to a few LFSs and they seem to think it's case by case or won't be an issue. My tank is a Reefer 250 that is currently stocked with 2 clowns and a midas blenny. Thoughts?

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Lagoon 25 gallon - 24 x 20 x 12"

I'm beginning to work on the stand and brainstorming a stock list. I haven't had a tank this small before and I don't want to overstock it. I do want a decent amount of action in the tank though. Hard line to walk!

Option 1: 3 x chromis and 2 x clown fish be to much for a tank this size? I know clown fish get territorial of space.
Option 2: 3 x chromis , 2 x bangaii cardinal

Thoughts? Thanks!

Imo keeping a small group of chromis don't really work well. I recommend just keeping 1. How about a pair of clowns, a pair of bangaii cardinals and 1 chromis.
Looking to add a diamond goby or sand sifting goby. The issue I have is that I really like sand bed LPS like plate and brain coral. I've talked to a few LFSs and they seem to think it's case by case or won't be an issue. My tank is a Reefer 250 that is currently stocked with 2 clowns and a midas blenny. Thoughts?
Instead of a goby how about nassarius snails or a conch? They stir up sand without the risk of covering corals and eat leftover food.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo keeping a small group of chromis don't really work well. I recommend just keeping 1.
I agree to an extent. I started with a group of 7. I’m down to 3. And have stayed at 3 for close to a year. If doing Chromis, do add numbers 5 or 7. The other route would be a large school of at least 15.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to an extent. I started with a group of 7. I’m down to 3. And have stayed at 3 for close to a year. If doing Chromis, do add numbers 5 or 7. The other route would be a large school of at least 15.

15 chromis in a 25 gallon and I bet the assasinations would start before I got the lid on lol.

Maybe I can do 5 and see if that spreads out aggression enough. Probably wouldn’t do other fish at that point.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about a one spot foxface in a 93 cube? I’ve seen most recommendations at 70 gallons, but I know the cube would have less less horizontal swimming space.

Other fish in the tank are: potters angel, banggai cardinal pair, striped blenny pair, clownfish

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about a one spot foxface in a 93 cube? I’ve seen most recommendations at 70 gallons, but I know the cube would have less less horizontal swimming space.

Other fish in the tank are: potters angel, banggai cardinal pair, striped blenny pair, clownfish
It should be fine.

6Bolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specs:
120 gallon display tank
40 gallon breeder for my sump

Theme:
Passive Set-up

Current Critters:
Snails, Crabs and Sea Anemones

New Stocking List:
Clown x2
Flame Angel Fish x1
Flame Hawkfish x1
Carpenters Flasher Wrasse x1
Royal Gamma Basslets x1
One Spot Foxface x1
Blue Reef Chromis x5

20180103_195251.jpg

Please give me some feedback. Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specs:
120 gallon display tank
40 gallon breeder for my sump

Theme:
Passive Set-up

Current Critters:
Snails, Crabs and Sea Anemones

New Stocking List:
Clown x2
Flame Angel Fish x1
Flame Hawkfish x1
Carpenters Flasher Wrasse x1
Royal Gamma Basslets x1
One Spot Foxface x1
Blue Reef Chromis x5

20180103_195251.jpg

Please give me some feedback. Thanks!
That list looks good. The only issue is that sometimes chromis don't do well in groups, slowly whittling their numbers down.

Mick1of10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that this is the proper place to ask this question. I have a RSR 500 peninsular tank - 105 gallon DT - I do not want to stock fish that will grow over 4 inches in length, and am enamored of Blennies, Wrasses, and Anthias. Could you suggest a stocking list? Cost is not a particular concern, as I don't plan on leaving a bunch of $ to my kids - they have enough - maybe the grand kids will luck out. I would like some fish at most levels of the water column. The tank will be mixed reef. Clowns are not particularly interesting to me, and I think tangs will be too big for this sized tank. Thought???

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that this is the proper place to ask this question. I have a RSR 500 peninsular tank - 105 gallon DT - I do not want to stock fish that will grow over 4 inches in length, and am enamored of Blennies, Wrasses, and Anthias. Could you suggest a stocking list? Cost is not a particular concern, as I don't plan on leaving a bunch of $ to my kids - they have enough - maybe the grand kids will luck out. I would like some fish at most levels of the water column. The tank will be mixed reef. Clowns are not particularly interesting to me, and I think tangs will be too big for this sized tank. Thought???
A group of dispar or randalls anthias
Pintail or lunatus wrasse
Lubbocks wrasse
Mckoskers /carpenter/filamentosus flasher wrasses
Royal gramma
Leopard wrasse
Group of Scissortail dartfish
Watchman goby/pistol shrimp pr.

Dane Gyduska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 32 gal Biocube. Looking to add some type of star fish to the tank any suggestions?
Currently Have:
1 Maroon Clownfish
3 Green Chromis
1 Cardinal Fish
5 Turbo Snails
2 Peppermint Shrimp

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back