Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your feelings on blue head wrasses? I have a Caribbean blue tang,a surgeon fish a slippery dick wrasse a 4 eye butterfly fish and several gobies. Will a blue head get along or will he be a bully? Btw I'll be getting it as a juvenile
It may be problematic with the gobies, but will be fine with the other fish.
Sounds like lyretails are out then. If I add 2 dispar females will they be okay with the existing one?
Adding more dispars will be perfectly fine.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more question, will I be able to add any inverts? I have a Arrowhead crab that no one messes with and some hermits. I had a banded coral shrimp for about 2 days but he disappeared. Im figuring the slippery dick took him out but not sure.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question, will I be able to add any inverts? I have a Arrowhead crab that no one messes with and some hermits. I had a banded coral shrimp for about 2 days but he disappeared. Im figuring the slippery dick took him out but not sure.
No, both the bluehead and the slippery dick will eat inverts.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon biocube mixed reef. I have a shrimp/goby pair, a pair of clowns, and a Valentini Puffer. Can I add one more fish? Thinking a firefish or a coral hawkfish. Also a few inverts...peppermint shrimp and some snails. Thanks for any help

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon biocube mixed reef. I have a shrimp/goby pair, a pair of clowns, and a Valentini Puffer. Can I add one more fish? Thinking a firefish or a coral hawkfish. Also a few inverts...peppermint shrimp and some snails. Thanks for any help
If your water quality is in check then you should be able to add a fish. With the puffer I would recommend the hawkfish over the firefish. Hawks are a 'sturdier' fish.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more research and window shopping I do the more awesome fish I learn about and it’s so hard to decide! So thanks to everyone answering all my questions!

At one LFS they have a pintail fairy wrasse and at my other they have a gorgeous flasher wrasse. Would both of these be okay with a ruby head wrasse in a 75g? Would the pintail and flasher be okay together in a 10g QT? I think the flasher was either a carpenters or McCoskers

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding Blue Star Leopard wrasses to the tank, is it more ideal to add 3-4 females at once, rather than adding 1 male and 2-3 females as the most dominant female will turn male?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding Blue Star Leopard wrasses to the tank, is it more ideal to add 3-4 females at once, rather than adding 1 male and 2-3 females as the most dominant female will turn male?
Either way should work, though adding only females will work a little better for peace, but Macropharyngodon aren't as eager to transition than other wrasses, so it's not guaranteed you'll get a male.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way should work, though adding only females will work a little better for peace, but Macropharyngodon aren't as eager to transition than other wrasses, so it's not guaranteed you'll get a male.
Interesting. Good to know.

Reef flakes sand adequate for wrasses? It isn't too large but large enough for no sand storms [emoji16]

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank. At this point I have 3 purple Firefish and 2 white spotted Pygmy Filefish. A few softies and a small cuc.
Looking to add a couple of new fish; bottom dweller and someone that sits on rock. Looking at a Blackheaded Jawfish and a Starry Blenny.
Anyone see any problems with this? I'm open to all suggestions and advice!

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank. At this point I have 3 purple Firefish and 2 white spotted Pygmy Filefish. A few softies and a small cuc.
Looking to add a couple of new fish; bottom dweller and someone that sits on rock. Looking at a Blackheaded Jawfish and a Starry Blenny.
nope! no problems

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish in question is a sixline wrasse. My tank is a 20 long reef, with a chaeto reactor, a few corals, a watchman goby and pistol shrimp, and a clownfish pair. CUC is light, 1 turbo, 1 trochus, 1 astrea, 2 emerald crabs, 1 scarlet legged hermit. I'm currently waiting until my tank matures more so biodiversity is enough for it. My system can easily handle the extra nutrients. Does it need more swimming room or will it be fine? I have about 20 lbs of live rock with tons of nooks and crannies. How big do they get?

@evolved, @eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 2 will be fine.
What’s your opinion on a clownfish pair in an IM nuvo 10?
Shouldn't be an issue.
Fish in question is a sixline wrasse. My tank is a 20 long reef, with a chaeto reactor, a few corals, a watchman goby and pistol shrimp, and a clownfish pair. CUC is light, 1 turbo, 1 trochus, 1 astrea, 2 emerald crabs, 1 scarlet legged hermit. I'm currently waiting until my tank matures more so biodiversity is enough for it. My system can easily handle the extra nutrients. Does it need more swimming room or will it be fine? I have about 20 lbs of live rock with tons of nooks and crannies. How big do they get?

@evolved, @eatbreakfast
A sixline will live just fine in a 20g. It may eventually go after some of your inverts and can be a real pain in the buttocks to other fish in that size tank. A couple other similar but better behaved choices would be a wetmorella wrasse or pink streak wrasse.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my planned stock list for my 90g reef:

Current Livestock
2 x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
1 x Helfrichi Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
1 x Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
1 x Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)
1 x Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)

Planned Livestock
1 x Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
1 x Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
1 x Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia)
1 x Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula)
1 x Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus flavicauda)

My problem is that I thought midas blenny were herbivores and mine eats zero algae obviously. I feed extra heavy and I currently have no herbivores in the tank and have had a hard time keeping up with algae. I know the tang and maybe even the angel will help with that but I planned on adding them last due to aggression. I know a one spot foxface could work but that's a big bioload to add to 11 fish in a 90g (40 sump). Any suggestions for another herbivore I could add before the other fish or would adding the angel and tang before the chromis/anthias/Christmas wrasse not be a big deal?

Could I qt the flame and tang together?

Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back