Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my planned stock list for my 90g reef:

Current Livestock
2 x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
1 x Helfrichi Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
1 x Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
1 x Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)
1 x Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)

Planned Livestock
1 x Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
1 x Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
1 x Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia)
1 x Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula)
1 x Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus flavicauda)

My problem is that I thought midas blenny were herbivores and mine eats zero algae obviously. I feed extra heavy and I currently have no herbivores in the tank and have had a hard time keeping up with algae. I know the tang and maybe even the angel will help with that but I planned on adding them last due to aggression. I know a one spot foxface could work but that's a big bioload to add to 11 fish in a 90g (40 sump). Any suggestions for another herbivore I could add before the other fish or would adding the angel and tang before the chromis/anthias/Christmas wrasse not be a big deal?

Could I qt the flame and tang together?

Thanks!
IMO you are fine on adding a tang. I added my blue tang first before any other fish. only problem I ever had was with a watenabi angelfish. I dont really see the tang going after any chromis or anthias. i dont know how big your QT is but yes i dont think that would be an issue

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my planned stock list for my 90g reef:

Current Livestock
2 x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
1 x Helfrichi Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
1 x Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
1 x Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)
1 x Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)

Planned Livestock
1 x Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
1 x Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
1 x Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia)
1 x Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula)
1 x Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus flavicauda)

My problem is that I thought midas blenny were herbivores and mine eats zero algae obviously. I feed extra heavy and I currently have no herbivores in the tank and have had a hard time keeping up with algae. I know the tang and maybe even the angel will help with that but I planned on adding them last due to aggression. I know a one spot foxface could work but that's a big bioload to add to 11 fish in a 90g (40 sump). Any suggestions for another herbivore I could add before the other fish or would adding the angel and tang before the chromis/anthias/Christmas wrasse not be a big deal?

Could I qt the flame and tang together?

Thanks!
I've had bristletooth tangs take a strong dislike to leopard wrasses, so much so that the tang had to be removed.

The best algae eater I've had was a seahare, followed by halloween urchin. The nice thing about these is that they don't add nearly as much bioload as the fish.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had bristletooth tangs take a strong dislike to leopard wrasses, so much so that the tang had to be removed.

The best algae eater I've had was a seahare, followed by halloween urchin. The nice thing about these is that they don't add nearly as much bioload as the fish.

Wow really? I've never heard of a tang going after leopards, that's wild. What type of bristletooths and were they established before adding the leopards? Would a scopas tang be less likely to tango? I don't think a yellow is a good idea with a copperband, and I wanted something unique in the white tail, but I love my leopards.....how likely is that to occur?

Unfortunately I don't have enough to sustain a seahare and urchins bulldoze frags lol.

Also, where should I add a goby into my list, maybe a Japanese bella or pink spotted watchman, or would my midas fight with it?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really? I've never heard of a tang going after leopards, that's wild. What type of bristletooths and were they established before adding the leopards? Would a scopas tang be less likely to tango? I don't think a yellow is a good idea with a copperband, and I wanted something unique in the white tail, but I love my leopards.....how likely is that to occur?

Unfortunately I don't have enough to sustain a seahare and urchins bulldoze frags lol.
I had it happen with a kole and with a tomini and the leopards were in there first. It may not be the norm, but it's happened enough where I won't mix them again.

I wouldn't put a Zebrasomma species with a butterfly.

Emerald crabs, turbo snails, trochus snails are all options too.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it happen with a kole and with a tomini and the leopards were in there first. It may not be the norm, but it's happened enough where I won't mix them again.

I wouldn't put a Zebrasomma species with a butterfly.

Emerald crabs, turbo snails, trochus snails are all options too.

Ok, so basically no tang or try a bristletooth. But do you think adding it before the chromis/anthias/Christmas wrasse is a big deal? Can I qt it in a 20g with a flame angel?

I have a ton of trochus (they reproduce in my tank), a couple emeralds, some ceriths, various hermits. They all do a great job but don't touch the leafy long stuff I have currently, ulva I believe. Not a big deal but imo tangs are one of the best "clean up crew" so I wanted one regardless. I'll keep an eye out for the leopard thing though.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so basically no tang or try a bristletooth. But do you think adding it before the chromis/anthias/Christmas wrasse is a big deal? Can I qt it in a 20g with a flame angel?

I have a ton of trochus (they reproduce in my tank), a couple emeralds, some ceriths, various hermits. They all do a great job but don't touch the leafy long stuff I have currently, ulva I believe. Not a big deal but imo tangs are one of the best "clean up crew" so I wanted one regardless. I'll keep an eye out for the leopard thing though.
I had an ulva outbreak in my own tank. I brought some in to an LFS. The only things that ate it were seahares urchins, rabbitfish and foxfaces. Most of the tangs didn't look at it and the ones that did spit it out and didn't eat it, even when it was left in the tank for a few days.

I haven't tried a white tail bristletooth with leopards, but have found the care and temperament to be on par with other Ctenocheatus tangs and the Ctenochaetus tangs I have tried with them were very problematic, so I won't recommend the genus for leopards.

I don't recommend tangs as clean up crew anyway as any of the algae they eat they produce a comparable amount of waste, so their value is off-setting.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ulva outbreak in my own tank. I brought some in to an LFS. The only things that ate it were seahares urchins, rabbitfish and foxfaces. Most of the tangs didn't look at it and the ones that did spit it out and didn't eat it, even when it was left in the tank for a few days.

I haven't tried a white tail bristletooth with leopards, but have found the care and temperament to be on par with other Ctenocheatus tangs and the Ctenochaetus tangs I have tried with them were very problematic, so I won't recommend the genus for leopards.

I don't recommend tangs as clean up crew anyway as any of the algae they eat they produce a comparable amount of waste, so their value is off-setting.

Well i could add a foxface before the others without aggression issues right? (Chromis/anthias/Christmas wrasse/flame angel) How did you get rid of the ulva, with urchin and seahare?

I don't think the offsetting value concept is true across the board but that's a whole other topic! Definitely would apply in some instances though.

Do you think there is chance of aggression between the established CBB and the flame angel if I get a baby flame?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I wanted to get opinions on my stock list for my 150 gallon tank (6ft) ive revised it a bit since last posting it.

2 clowns
Royal gramma
Midas blenny
Watchman goby with pistol shrimp
Diamond goby
Group of anthias (5-7)
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
Kole tang
Foxface (magnificent?)
Blue throat trigger
Flame angel
1-2 wrasses

Is this too many fish?
Any certain order i should add these guys in? I know the powder blue will be the last in of the tangs but as far as the rest?

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I wanted to get opinions on my stock list for my 150 gallon tank (6ft) ive revised it a bit since last posting it.

2 clowns
Royal gramma
Midas blenny
Diamond goby
Group of anthias (5-7)
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
Kole tang
Foxface (magnificent?)
Blue throat trigger
Flame angel
1-2 wrasses

Is this too many fish?
Any certain order i should add these guys in? I know the powder blue will be the last in of the tangs but as far as the rest?
looks good in my opinion. powder blue last, but besides that not really

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i could add a foxface before the others without aggression issues right? (Chromis/anthias/Christmas wrasse/flame angel) How did you get rid of the ulva, with urchin and seahare?

I don't think the offsetting value concept is true across the board but that's a whole other topic! Definitely would apply in some instances though.

Do you think there is chance of aggression between the established CBB and the flame angel if I get a baby flame?

Thanks!
Yes you can add the foxface first without issues.

I got rid of thevulva through a seahare, 2 tuxedo urchins, 1 halloween urchin, and manually removing as much as I could every week. It took about 3-4 weeks to get rid of it.

Matter is neither created or destroyed, so unless it is manually being removed, the nutrients are staying in the tank.

Aggression between an established CBB and a new flame should be practically nonexistent.
Hey guys,

2 clowns
Royal gramma
Midas blenny
Diamond goby
Group of anthias (5-7)
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
Kole tang
Foxface (magnificent?)
Blue throat trigger
Flame angel
1-2 wrasses

Is this too many fish?
Looks good. I would add the midas after the gramma and anthias. And would add the foxface before the tangs, and the kole before the yellow tang, and the yellow tang before the powder blue.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can add the foxface first without issues.

I got rid of thevulva through a seahare, 2 tuxedo urchins, 1 halloween urchin, and manually removing as much as I could every week. It took about 3-4 weeks to get rid of it.

Matter is neither created or destroyed, so unless it is manually being removed, the nutrients are staying in the tank.

Aggression between an established CBB and a new flame should be practically nonexistent.

Thanks for the fish advice.

As far as the algae, the other part of that law is that it can be changed however. I dont need the nutrients out of the tank, I just need them to take another form, like food for corals or chaeto fuel. Anything that eats the slow growing ulva would accomplish that. But like I said, I didn't want to have this debate on a fish advice forum since it's more biology/chemistry, so agree to disagree.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 75g mixed reef with two clownfish, mandarin, YLNB, oranate leopard wrasse, tangaroa goby and a few inverts. Any suggestions for other fish additions? Looking for something that’s a bit more active in the water column and visible during the day. The clowns basically hide in their anemone and the goby is MIA 90% of the time so the only fish you really see are the wrasse occasionally and the butterfly.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 75g mixed reef with two clownfish, mandarin, YLNB, oranate leopard wrasse, tangaroa goby and a few inverts. Any suggestions for other fish additions? Looking for something that’s a bit more active in the water column and visible during the day. The clowns basically hide in their anemone and the goby is MIA 90% of the time so the only fish you really see are the wrasse occasionally and the butterfly.
Longnose or flame hawk, a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

2 clowns
Royal gramma
Midas blenny
Diamond goby
Group of anthias (5-7)
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
Kole tang
Foxface (magnificent?)
Blue throat trigger
Flame angel
1-2 wrasses

Is this too many fish?
Would a copperband butterfly fit ok into this list. I could loose the kole tang to make room for it if needed.
I'm not sure i want to try one but if there wouldnt be any problems with the other tankmates i may see if i can get one and get it eating frozen

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a copperband butterfly fit ok into this list. I could loose the kole tang to make room for it if needed.
I'm not sure i want to try one but if there wouldnt be any problems with the other tankmates i may see if i can get one and get it eating frozen
Yes it would work with that group if you get one that eats.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks. I don't know that ill try it but something to keep in mind. Do you think there would be room with that whole list or would that be too many
There should be room, but each tank is different.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not concerned with the established yellow or powder blue bullying a new copperband?
The copperband would need to get in there before the tangs, but i have found when there are multiple tangs in a tank, they focus on each other rather than other fish.

cookr959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 gallon biocube one oc clown. I will be getting another shortly. Would a pink striped wrasse be fine also?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back