Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is a goby that eats hair algae, but I can’t remember which it was.

I have little bits of it here and there, and I would like something small to graze on it.

I already have a tail spot blenny so I don’t want to add a lawnmower.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are You speaking of a Lawn Mower 'Blenny" I have no ideas what difference is between Blenny's & Goby's dunno.gif
So , what's is the diff? I'm wanting a fish that will mix up the sand bed.
I was also eye balling a nice looking Coral Hogfish(( adult color) . After some research, too rowdy for now.
Here is the Kicker, I can only have one new fish at a time ! This patience concept is getting on my Big Nerve !

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is a goby that eats hair algae, but I can’t remember which it was.

I have little bits of it here and there, and I would like something small to graze on it.

I already have a tail spot blenny so I don’t want to add a lawnmower.
Randall's, hectori, and bullet gobies eat hair algae.
Are You speaking of a Lawn Mower 'Blenny" I have no ideas what difference is between Blenny's & Goby's dunno.gif
So , what's is the diff? I'm wanting a fish that will mix up the sand bed.
I was also eye balling a nice looking Coral Hogfish(( adult color) . After some research, too rowdy for now.
Here is the Kicker, I can only have one new fish at a time ! This patience concept is getting on my Big Nerve !
blennies have cirrhi on their head, and most can turn their body completely in a U shape. Gobies have fused pelvic fins.

Last edited:

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randall's, hectori" and bullet gobies eat hair algae.
blennies have cirrhi on their head, and most can turn their body completely in a U shape. Gobies have fused pelvic fins.

Thanks!

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a sumpless 40B FOWLR with a modified AC70 HOB filter which is mainly used for added water volume, but occasionally used for filter floss and / or carbon to help clear the water after a heavy duty WC.
My livestock are 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 emerald crab, 1 feather duster, various snails - astrea, cerith, nassarius, and I have a bicolor blenny in QT that will go in the 40B.
I really like the Court jester goby and the Hector's goby. With those being similar in body shape to the blenny, would it be advisable to have one of the gobies in the same tank as the blenny?
I am also interested in the yellow clown goby and the neon blue goby. Would there be any issues with combining those with each other or with the blenny? Would it be possible to keep more than one neon blue goby?
Lastly, I'm looking at adding a yellow striped cardinalfish and possibly a chalk bass. I'm not sold on the chalk bass, but want to ask about them.
Thank you in advance for advice or suggestions.
~ Rebecca

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a sumpless 40B FOWLR with a modified AC70 HOB filter which is mainly used for added water volume, but occasionally used for filter floss and / or carbon to help clear the water after a heavy duty WC.
My livestock are 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 emerald crab, 1 feather duster, various snails - astrea, cerith, nassarius, and I have a bicolor blenny in QT that will go in the 40B.
I really like the Court jester goby and the Hector's goby. With those being similar in body shape to the blenny, would it be advisable to have one of the gobies in the same tank as the blenny?
I am also interested in the yellow clown goby and the neon blue goby. Would there be any issues with combining those with each other or with the blenny? Would it be possible to keep more than one neon blue goby?
Lastly, I'm looking at adding a yellow striped cardinalfish and possibly a chalk bass. I'm not sold on the chalk bass, but want to ask about them.
Thank you in advance for advice or suggestions.
~ Rebecca
The gobies will be fine with the blenny. As long as they are a pr you can keep more than one neon goby. If they are not a pr then only keep one.

The yellowstriped cardinal and chalk bass are botn peaceful, hardy fish.

ducks4rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 90g setup I bought used. Has over 100lbs. Live rock in it and 40g sump. Came with a scopas tang which is currently in QT. My wife insists that we have a copperband butterfly and at least 2 banggai cardinals. With those in mind, would also like to add the ubiquitous pair of clowns. Also want a melanarus wrasse or something that may get a few bristleworms. I like several of the fairy and flashing wrasses. Others on the list are a flame angel or coral beauty. A fire fish, royal gramma, and an orchid dottyback. Also looking for suggestions for gobbies, blennies, and wrasses that may work. Accidentally bought a couple tanks at Petco $1 gallon sale. A 29 and 20l. Planned on one being a frag tank but can put a couple on the list in there. The larger tank will be mixed reef. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Kiala

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I've currently got a pair of ocellaris clownfish, the male is about an inch and a half in length. I've also got a high fin perchlet, a court jester goby and a lantern bass (which was sold to me as a chalk bass- impulse buy- please don't judge). After I got home I realised it was a lantern and I found out that they tend to eat small fish. Do you think the male clown could potentially become dinner? I've had the lantern for about 2 months and it eats like a pig, and has doubled in size already. Thanks!

Austin Wiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a Melanurus wrasse and a McCoskers flasher wrasse for my 45 gallon. Are they too big for my tank and should I add them at the same time? Also will they east flakes and pellets?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 90g setup I bought used. Has over 100lbs. Live rock in it and 40g sump. Came with a scopas tang which is currently in QT. My wife insists that we have a copperband butterfly and at least 2 banggai cardinals. With those in mind, would also like to add the ubiquitous pair of clowns. Also want a melanarus wrasse or something that may get a few bristleworms. I like several of the fairy and flashing wrasses. Others on the list are a flame angel or coral beauty. A fire fish, royal gramma, and an orchid dottyback. Also looking for suggestions for gobbies, blennies, and wrasses that may work. Accidentally bought a couple tanks at Petco $1 gallon sale. A 29 and 20l. Planned on one being a frag tank but can put a couple on the list in there. The larger tank will be mixed reef. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.
Those species should work. My only concern would be adding a copperband to an established scopas tang. Tangs can be aggressive toward other laterally compressed fish.
Hi I've currently got a pair of ocellaris clownfish, the male is about an inch and a half in length. I've also got a high fin perchlet, a court jester goby and a lantern bass (which was sold to me as a chalk bass- impulse buy- please don't judge). After I got home I realised it was a lantern and I found out that they tend to eat small fish. Do you think the male clown could potentially become dinner? I've had the lantern for about 2 months and it eats like a pig, and has doubled in size already. Thanks!
The clown shouldn't be eaten. I'd be more concerned about the court jester being eaten. Clowns are "taller" proportionally, which can limit what fish can eat them.

I want to get a Melanurus wrasse and a McCoskers flasher wrasse for my 45 gallon. Are they too big for my tank and should I add them at the same time? Also will they east flakes and pellets?
Should be fine. They may not take pellets and flakes right away, but usually learn to accept them fairly quickly.

ducks4rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those species should work. My only concern would be adding a copperband to an established scopas tang. Tangs can be aggressive toward other laterally compressed fish.

The clown shouldn't be eaten. I'd be more concerned about the court jester being eaten. Clowns are "taller" proportionally, which can limit what fish can eat them.

Should be fine. They may not take pellets and flakes right away, but usually learn to accept them fairly quickly.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid and zoster butterflies are mostly reef safe.

Introducing the cbb first will help.

Kiala

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, not good :s I've been feeding it more to try and stop it from wanting to eat anyone, but with the appetite of this fish I'm not sure it actually will help. I'm probably going to have to try to re-home it anyway just incase, I'm doing a tank upgrade soon so if no-one wants it I guess I'll just keep it in my old tank and move everyone across to the new tank to be safe

ducks4rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up question. Ran into a buddy and he gave me all the equipment he used on a 180g he ran for a few years. Everything except the tank. The wife lady likes 1 spot fox face and longnose butterfly. Will those coexist in a 90g for a year until I upgrade?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up question. Ran into a buddy and he gave me all the equipment he used on a 180g he ran for a few years. Everything except the tank. The wife lady likes 1 spot fox face and longnose butterfly. Will those coexist in a 90g for a year until I upgrade?
That should be fine.

captan42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on stocking the rest of my tank not just the best addition. I will add them slowly over the course of several months. Just don’t want to grab a fish and have it be wrong for my tank/livestock.

I have a 30g breeder with 2 osc clowns, skunk cleaner shrimp, royal gramma. Have a few LPS in the tank now will be adding more as the tank matures, I might add a few hardy sps later as well.

I don’t have a full lid as all of my equipment is HOB. I have a glass lid that covers most but not all of the tank, so worried about jumpers.

Looking for peaceful tank mates, I have been considering a single damsel (other than the clowns) Chromis, gobies, blennies, cardinalfish and a 6 line wrasse. I know I don’t have room for all but looking for recommendations of what would be good tankmates for my current livestock.

Thanks!

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on stocking the rest of my tank not just the best addition. I will add them slowly over the course of several months. Just don’t want to grab a fish and have it be wrong for my tank/livestock.

I have a 30g breeder with 2 osc clowns, skunk cleaner shrimp, royal gramma. Have a few LPS in the tank now will be adding more as the tank matures, I might add a few hardy sps later as well.

I don’t have a full lid as all of my equipment is HOB. I have a glass lid that covers most but not all of the tank, so worried about jumpers.

Looking for peaceful tank mates, I have been considering a single damsel (other than the clowns) Chromis, gobies, blennies, cardinalfish and a 6 line wrasse. I know I don’t have room for all but looking for recommendations of what would be good tankmates for my current livestock.

Thanks!

Azure damsel, yellow or wheelers goby, tailspot blenny. Damsel last.

6 line wrasse is not a good addition to a peaceful tank, and wrasse are jumpers.

It’s good that you are adding slowly.

Austin Wiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 small young osc clowns. Would getting a melanurus wrasse and mccoskers wrasse pick on them? And if I purchased both should I add them at the same time?
7d5e433ac84aea5a33ed5169e6951014.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back