Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scribbled rabbitfish (2.5”) and 3 azure damsels(1” each) going into my 29 gallon QT for 45 days - should I get a tank divider or can they all coexist before they go into the 125G

truth954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All..

Thoughts on adding a Tomini and/or Blue throat trigger to my 150?

Currently have mixed sps & lps.

Redsea sailfin
Purple
Hippo
1 Blue/Green chromis
Flame angel
Mated pair clowns
single maroon clown. (trying to catch)

Thanks

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 Gallon Dt, 4” Longhorn Cowfish, 8” Blue Hippo Tang, a Bonded pair of ocelaris clowns, 3” and 1.5”. A 2” maroon clown. Other stuff: 5 Anenomes, a few LPS, A few softies and very few SPS. What would be good fish to add to my tank to add more movement and color.
Thanks!

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All..

Redsea sailfin
Purple
Hippo
1 Blue/Green chromis
Flame angel
Mated pair clowns

Thanks

Do you have a thread or pics of your tank? If you’ll look a few posts back I’m looking at a list very similar and I’d like to know your success/struggles with it!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scribbled rabbitfish (2.5”) and 3 azure damsels(1” each) going into my 29 gallon QT for 45 days - should I get a tank divider or can they all coexist before they go into the 125G
They'll be fine.
Hi All..

Redsea sailfin
Purple
Hippo
1 Blue/Green chromis
Flame angel
Mated pair clowns

Thanks
The purple tang may make adding a tomini difficult. The blue throat should be fine.
I have a 180 Gallon Dt, 4” Longhorn Cowfish, 8” Blue Hippo Tang, a Bonded pair of ocelaris clowns, 3” and 1.5”. A 2” maroon clown. Other stuff: 5 Anenomes, a few LPS, A few softies and very few SPS. What would be good fish to add to my tank to add more movement and color.
Thanks!
Some fairy or flasher wrasses, a group of dispar or randalls anthias, a group of scissortail or zebra dartfish.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll be fine.

The purple tang may make adding a tomini difficult. The blue throat should be fine.

Some fairy or flasher wrasses, a group of dispar or randalls anthias, a group of scissortail or zebra dartfish.
Got it. I will go to the FS and see what they have.

truth954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a thread or pics of your tank? If you’ll look a few posts back I’m looking at a list very similar and I’d like to know your success/struggles with it!

No build thread or tank shots worth posting. Sorry

They'll be fine.

Thank you..

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 Gallon with a 40 gallon sump. My current fish stock is in order of first added to tank:

1 - Tomini Tang
1 - Copperband Butterfly
1 - Flame Angel
1 - Cleaner Wrasse
1 - Yellow Watchman Goby, paired with a Pistol shrimp. (the goby was kicked out of the cave for a month, but is now back in it)
2 - Leopard Wrasse (one has recently just changed to male!)
1 - Purple Tang
2 - Maroon Clownfish

Is there anything else I can add to the tank? did I overload the tank? I really like having fish in the tank, but I don't want to overload it and have them fighting all the time. Thanks for any suggestions, or comments!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 Gallon with a 40 gallon sump. My current fish stock is in order of first added to tank:

1 - Tomini Tang
1 - Copperband Butterfly
1 - Flame Angel
1 - Cleaner Wrasse
1 - Yellow Watchman Goby, paired with a Pistol shrimp. (the goby was kicked out of the cave for a month, but is now back in it)
2 - Leopard Wrasse (one has recently just changed to male!)
1 - Purple Tang
2 - Maroon Clownfish

Is there anything else I can add to the tank? did I overload the tank? I really like having fish in the tank, but I don't want to overload it and have them fighting all the time. Thanks for any suggestions, or comments!
If your parameters are stable and you don't have aggression you may be able to add more. Any species in particular you were drawn to?

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are stable and you don't have aggression you may be able to add more. Any species in particular you were drawn to?

My Purple tang has been in the tank for just over 6 months, and seems to be working his way up the pecking ladder currently. The Flame angel will chase the wrasses a little, but nothing crazy. Other then that all the fish get along swimmingly. Parameters have been stable, starting using nopox to bring the nitrate and phosphate levels down, but they are coming down slowly.

As far as fish I would like, a potters angel would be great, but I think the flame being in the tank for over a year wouldn't have it. any sort of tang would be great as well, but with two, and the purple starting to show some dominance, I wouldn't think adding another tang would be smart. other then that, maybe a sand sifting goby or a jawfish. I was wondering if there would be any fish that would stay in the open and swim around that would be ok to add? maybe a fairy or flasher wrasse?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Purple tang has been in the tank for just over 6 months, and seems to be working his way up the pecking ladder currently. The Flame angel will chase the wrasses a little, but nothing crazy. Other then that all the fish get along swimmingly. Parameters have been stable, starting using nopox to bring the nitrate and phosphate levels down, but they are coming down slowly.

As far as fish I would like, a potters angel would be great, but I think the flame being in the tank for over a year wouldn't have it. any sort of tang would be great as well, but with two, and the purple starting to show some dominance, I wouldn't think adding another tang would be smart. other then that, maybe a sand sifting goby or a jawfish. I was wondering if there would be any fish that would stay in the open and swim around that would be ok to add? maybe a fairy or flasher wrasse?
I would be reluctant to add another tang to that tank, and definitely not add more angels.

Fairy and flasher wrasses would work well though.

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be reluctant to add another tang to that tank, and definitely not add more angels.

Fairy and flasher wrasses would work well though.

could another butterfly fish go in? or fight to much with the copperband? how about a foxface? would a mandarian be ok? or would the wrasse out compete it for food?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could another butterfly fish go in? or fight to much with the copperband? how about a foxface? would a mandarian be ok? or would the wrasse out compete it for food?
I don't think your tangs will allow any more laterally compressed fish, such as another butterfly.

An established q20g should be able to support both a leopard wrasse and mandarin.

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your tangs will allow any more laterally compressed fish, such as another butterfly.

An established q20g should be able to support both a leopard wrasse and mandarin.

Perfect! Mandarin and maybe a couple of either fairy or flasher wrasse and should be ok? or just one of the other? tank has been set up for almost 4 years now.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Mandarin and maybe a couple of either fairy or flasher wrasse and should be ok? or just one of the other? tank has been set up for almost 4 years now.
Fairy and flasher wrasses can be mixed and matched for the most part.

ducks4rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies and blennies. I'm getting 2 royal grammas, Canary blenny and 3 scissortail dartfish. Going to split them into 2 tanks. The smaller tank is 30 gallon and has 2 firefish gobies. The largest tank has none. Thinking large tank with the 3 scissortail and 1 royal gramma. Not sure where to put the canary blenny in that group. Also considering a sleeper gold head goby. Would the canary, sleeper, and gold head be ok together? That said, I need a fish for the bottom. Like lawnmower blenny or one of the wathcman gobies. Will those coexist with the other gobies, or is there another bottom dweller I should consider? Thanks as always.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies and blennies. I'm getting 2 royal grammas, Canary blenny and 3 scissortail dartfish. Going to split them into 2 tanks. The smaller tank is 30 gallon and has 2 firefish gobies. The largest tank has none. Thinking large tank with the 3 scissortail and 1 royal gramma. Not sure where to put the canary blenny in that group. Also considering a sleeper gold head goby. Would the canary, sleeper, and gold head be ok together? That said, I need a fish for the bottom. Like lawnmower blenny or one of the wathcman gobies. Will those coexist with the other gobies, or is there another bottom dweller I should consider? Thanks as always.
Put the canary blenny in the bugger tank.

The canary will be fine with the sleeper.

Skip the lawnmower blenny. A watchman would be fine.

ducks4rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch. Is 3 the max I can go on dartfish? I would have to add the other ones later if it is doable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back