Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have that same tank for freshwater!

Foxface, tangs, and butterflies are not good options for that size tank with those dimensions.

A dwarf angel is a good choice.

Flame hawkfish are very personable.

Watchman goby is a good choice.

Let the tank mature for 6+ months before adding the diamond goby.

People often report chromis picking each other off.

Chrysiptera species of damsels are better behaved than many of the other damsel types.

Is there a particular angel to either focus on or perhaps ones to stay away from. Would like to get two but they would need to be different. Say a flame and lemon peel or Potter ?

Also thinking about a wrasse. But man there are a lot of choose from.

Anthias?? Have seen a lot of people mention them. I’m not sure I find them that interesting but have only see a few in person.

Chalk bass is a new discovery for me.

There are so many fish to choose from( Oh looks something shiny!!! ) I don’t even know where to start other than general groups.

Time to spend some time at the LFSs and watch!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a particular angel to either focus on or perhaps ones to stay away from. Would like to get two but they would need to be different. Say a flame and lemon peel or Potter ?

Also thinking about a wrasse. But man there are a lot of choose from.

Anthias?? Have seen a lot of people mention them. I’m not sure I find them that interesting but have only see a few in person.

Chalk bass is a new discovery for me.

There are so many fish to choose from( Oh looks something shiny!!! ) I don’t even know where to start other than general groups.

Time to spend some time at the LFSs and watch!!
Only 1 angel in that size tank.

Chalk bass would be great.

Those dimensions aren't ideal for anthias.

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a loaded question (so many variables), but what's a good stopping point when it comes to adding fish? I'd like to add more, but not sure if I should / if I'm getting close to being maxed.
250 deep w/ 50 gallon sump. 30 Gallon water change every Sunday.
Current Stocking...
1-French Angel
1-Juvie Emperor
1-Purple Tang
1-Yellow Tang
1-Hippo Tang
1-Sailfin Tang
2-Clowns
2-Neon Damsels (thinking about taking out)
1-Yellow Tail Damsel (also thinking about taking out)

Can I add more? If so, what are some good suggestions?? Should I stop with the tangs? Help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a loaded question (so many variables), but what's a good stopping point when it comes to adding fish? I'd like to add more, but not sure if I should / if I'm getting close to being maxed.
250 deep w/ 50 gallon sump. 30 Gallon water change every Sunday.
Current Stocking...
1-French Angel
1-Juvie Emperor
1-Purple Tang
1-Yellow Tang
1-Hippo Tang
1-Sailfin Tang
2-Clowns
2-Neon Damsels (thinking about taking out)
1-Yellow Tail Damsel (also thinking about taking out)

Can I add more? If so, what are some good suggestions?? Should I stop with the tangs? Help!
You have a few fish that will get quite large, so it really depends on what species you had in mind and if your nutrients can remain under control.

Would a one spot FoxFace and Scribbled Rabbitfish coexist in a 6ft 125G?
Maybe, maybe not.

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been answered before, but with 162 pages, not sure if I'd ever find it. Is there another blenny I can put with a lawn mower blenny in a 55 gallon 36" wide tank without them duking it out? Thanks all.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been answered before, but with 162 pages, not sure if I'd ever find it. Is there another blenny I can put with a lawn mower blenny in a 55 gallon 36" wide tank without them duking it out? Thanks all.
A fang blenny or pike blennies. Other than that the lawnmower will take issue with other blennies.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
525xl Red Sea reefer

2 black ice clowns
2 purple fire fish
1 niger trigger (small)
1 purple tang
1 powder blue tang
1 diamond watchman goby
1 flame angel
1 carpenter flasher wrasse
1 snowflake eel(small) ???

Compatible/overstocked or no?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
525xl Red Sea reefer

2 black ice clowns
2 purple fire fish
1 niger trigger (small)
1 purple tang
1 powder blue tang
1 diamond watchman goby
1 flame angel

Only 1 firefish. They are intolerant unless they are a bonded pair.

I have a 525 as well and IMO it is too small for a purple or powder blue.

You will be limited on any inverts with the trigger.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 1 firefish. They are intolerant unless they are a bonded pair.

I have a 525 as well and IMO it is too small for a purple or powder blue.

You will be limited on any inverts with the trigger.

I have a bonded pair!

Was going for a fowlr tank but was interested in the 525 due to my LFS having it already built and ready for pick up if i decide to get it! Also compatible in a reef tank if i decide to later get back into corals

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon SCA cube with a ton of rock. tank is about 4 months old, live rock and sixline have been with me from a prior non saltwater friendly setup for about 7 months
2 ocellaris clowns
1 bangaii cardinal
1 midas blenny
1 springeri damsel
1 female lyretail anthias (upon further review after I got her I guess a cube isn't big enough even for 1, might rehome eventually)
1 sixline wrasse (doesn't seem like a murdering psychopath yet..)
various snails and hermits, black brittle star somewhere in the rocks, and 1 peppermint shrimp for good measure that I haven't seen in quite awhile
and a conch. dude puts in work on that sandbad

everything seems to hold its own in there. I've read enough about sixlines to know he's my looming issue (probably) but i'm also kind of attached to him. He was one of the first fish I got and has been a trooper, everything else I got at that time died. also, pretty sure I can't catch him.

fish I'm interested in:
from another thread apparently I could try to add one of the friendly damsels, possibly a tracey if I could find it or a rollands or azure

orchid dottyback: sounds like it will defend itself but also not be the spawn of satan, but i have a sixline. from what i've read those two probably wont work

flame angel: pretty sure i want this one. I went through two in the prior tank without proper cycling (thanks LFS) but dang they're beautiful. hopefully doesn't munch on my corals

kamohara blenny: looks cool and it's a swimmer, but I'm wondering if it's compatible with the midas blenny?

anything else anyone can recommend. another LFS said I should add an eel, thats going to be a negative, ghostrider. no eels.

I do plan on upgrading from the stock SCA skimmer and getting a heavy bioload type one, but for now I do a weekly water change and clean things up. i also have a ton of rock and a ton of seachem matrix and marinepure balls. Nitrates stay below 10 so I'm hoping I can squeeze a couple more fish in there, seems there's a lot of people on here that have my same tank with a lot more fish. But I'm also a newbie at this so yeah, maybe overstocking shouldn't be the plan. Let me know, thanks!

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon Waterbox 100.3 aquarium. I have to dose nitrates and phosphates to keep both above 0.

5 Chromis
2 Percula Clowns
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yellow Tang (3 inch)

No aggression. The tang is pretty passive. Would I be crazy to add a White Tail Bristletooth Tang?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
525xl Red Sea reefer

2 black ice clowns
2 purple fire fish
1 niger trigger (small)
1 purple tang
1 powder blue tang
1 diamond watchman goby
1 flame angel

In addition to the concerns mentioned by mta_morrow, I would also be wary of the snowflake eel. I have had the majority of them go rogue toward tankmates as they mature.
50 gallon SCA cube with a ton of rock. tank is about 4 months old, live rock and sixline have been with me from a prior non saltwater friendly setup for about 7 months
2 ocellaris clowns
1 bangaii cardinal
1 midas blenny
1 springeri damsel
1 female lyretail anthias (upon further review after I got her I guess a cube isn't big enough even for 1, might rehome eventually)
1 sixline wrasse (doesn't seem like a murdering psychopath yet..)
various snails and hermits, black brittle star somewhere in the rocks, and 1 peppermint shrimp for good measure that I haven't seen in quite awhile
and a conch. dude puts in work on that sandbad

everything seems to hold its own in there. I've read enough about sixlines to know he's my looming issue (probably) but i'm also kind of attached to him. He was one of the first fish I got and has been a trooper, everything else I got at that time died. also, pretty sure I can't catch him.

fish I'm interested in:
from another thread apparently I could try to add one of the friendly damsels, possibly a tracey if I could find it or a rollands or azure

orchid dottyback: sounds like it will defend itself but also not be the spawn of satan, but i have a sixline. from what i've read those two probably wont work

flame angel: pretty sure i want this one. I went through two in the prior tank without proper cycling (thanks LFS) but dang they're beautiful. hopefully doesn't munch on my corals

kamohara blenny: looks cool and it's a swimmer, but I'm wondering if it's compatible with the midas blenny?

anything else anyone can recommend. another LFS said I should add an eel, thats going to be a negative, ghostrider. no eels.

I do plan on upgrading from the stock SCA skimmer and getting a heavy bioload type one, but for now I do a weekly water change and clean things up. i also have a ton of rock and a ton of seachem matrix and marinepure balls. Nitrates stay below 10 so I'm hoping I can squeeze a couple more fish in there, seems there's a lot of people on here that have my same tank with a lot more fish. But I'm also a newbie at this so yeah, maybe overstocking shouldn't be the plan. Let me know, thanks!
The damsels or flame angel should be ok. The orchid won't work in that size tank with a sixline in that size tank, and a midas may not tolerate a kamahora in that size tank.

75 gallon Waterbox 100.3 aquarium. I have to dose nitrates and phosphates to keep both above 0.

5 Chromis
2 Percula Clowns
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yellow Tang (3 inch)

No aggression. The tang is pretty passive. Would I be crazy to add a White Tail Bristletooth Tang?
That tank is barely big enough for one tang, let alone another. Don't do it.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the concerns mentioned by mta_morrow, I would also be wary of the snowflake eel. I have had the majority of them go rogue toward tankmates as they mature.

The damsels or flame angel should be ok. The orchid won't work in that size tank with a sixline in that size tank, and a midas may not tolerate a kamahora in that size tank.

That tank is barely big enough for one tang, let alone another. Don't do it.

dang, I was just starting to really like the kamohara. would it have worked if i put them in at the same time or the kamohara went in first?

thanks for your help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, I was just starting to really like the kamohara. would it have worked if i put them in at the same time or the kamohara went in first?

thanks for your help!
It would be more likely to work out if the kamahora were in first.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

How close am I getting to max stocking on my 125G + 55G Sump assuming this batch of fish make it through QT:

1. Tank Raise Occ Clownfish x2
  2. Orchid Dottyback
  3. Melanurus Wrasse
  4. Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse
  5. Kole Tang
  6. Scribbled Rabbitfish (In QT)
  7. Azure Damselfish x 3 (In QT)
  8. Yellow Tang (Next QT Round)
  9. ? (Next QT Round)
I think #9 will be the last additions as I think I'll be at max stock. Wife is saying 2 cardinalfish. I think the tank may be too aggressive for them at that point given the order. I was thinking of a small or mid-sized fish like a dwarf angel (Flame or CB), another trio of damsels (Was thinking lemons - Pomacentrus moluccensis), or another Wrasse that could get along with the 2 I currently have that is yellow or purple or red. I still have no corals but I am planning to get some eventually (will be Euphyllia, Shroom, & Zoa heavy)

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

How close am I getting to max stocking on my 125G + 55G Sump assuming this batch of fish make it through QT:

1. Tank Raise Occ Clownfish x2
  2. Orchid Dottyback
  3. Melanurus Wrasse
  4. Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse
  5. Kole Tang
  6. Scribbled Rabbitfish (In QT)
  7. Azure Damselfish x 3 (In QT)
  8. Yellow Tang (Next QT Round)
  9. ? (Next QT Round)
I think #9 will be the last additions as I think I'll be at max stock. Wife is saying 2 cardinalfish. I think the tank may be too aggressive for them at that point given the order. I was thinking of a small or mid-sized fish like a dwarf angel (Flame or CB), another trio of damsels (Was thinking lemons - Pomacentrus moluccensis), or another Wrasse that could get along with the 2 I currently have that is yellow or purple or red. I still have no corals but I am planning to get some eventually (will be Euphyllia, Shroom, & Zoa heavy)

Max stocking comes down to 2 things really. Tank size and filtration. Tank size can be fine for 15 fish if they are and stay small. Filtration needs to be on Par because your eventual intent is to have coral which are much more technical than fish and need good water. More fish is more feeding, more nutrients, bigger filtration equipment etc. Decide well. Good luck

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max stocking comes down to 2 things really. Tank size and filtration. Tank size can be fine for 15 fish if they are and stay small. Filtration needs to be on Par because your eventual intent is to have coral which are much more technical than fish and need good water. More fish is more feeding, more nutrients, bigger filtration equipment etc. Decide well. Good luck

I have an oversized Aquamaxx skimmer and a large ATS + flex area in my sump. My main issue is too low nutrients right now and I shut down my ATS because the tank isn't producing enough nutrients. I haven't done a WC in 3 weeks because I keep dropping to 0's even with me dosing phosphate and nitrates. I've been trying to add more fish to get the nutrients up - but it takes time due to the QT process.

I guess the question is there enough space for all these fish given territory, aggression, etc.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns in a 50g tank. The tank is 3 mo. new and will be a mixed reef. What fish do you recommend that will help with pests/agae and will do well together (and look cool :) ? I don't need to go fast since the tank is new, just trying to develop a plan. Also, how soon can I introduce another fish without too much stress on the fish? I have a 10g QT which is empty now that the clowns are in the DT so I am iching to get another fish in the QT.

Thank you for your help.

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an oversized Aquamaxx skimmer and a large ATS + flex area in my sump. My main issue is too low nutrients right now and I shut down my ATS because the tank isn't producing enough nutrients. I haven't done a WC in 3 weeks because I keep dropping to 0's even with me dosing phosphate and nitrates. I've been trying to add more fish to get the nutrients up - but it takes time due to the QT process.

I guess the question is there enough space for all these fish given territory, aggression, etc.

I get ya. Fish are individuals. No fish is guaranteed to behave. Its all anecdotal in the end. Enjoy the fish you want or it makes no sense. Just make sure introduction is correct and that you have the option of moving the fish out should there be issues. Good luck

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back