Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on adding the eel 2nd to last so it can grow up and adjust with everything to lessen the chances of that happening and do you think the lionfish would go after a Hardwicke wrasse?
A lion can eat anything that is the size of it's own body minus the fins.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lion can eat anything that is the size of it's own body minus the fins.
Might just scratch the maroons and the wrasse then and maybe go with a raccoon or longnose butterflyfish. Any problems there?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just scratch the maroons and the wrasse then and maybe go with a raccoon or longnose butterflyfish. Any problems there?
Get the butterfly in there well before the tangs. They can be aggressive to other laterally compressed fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the butterfly in there well before the tangs. They can be aggressive to other laterally compressed fish.

toddrparr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while... my tank is a 32 gallon biocube and has been up and running for 4 months. I’ve currently got a starry blenny and 2 Nemo clowns. I’m looking for another fish or 2 to round out my community. I tried a firefish pair and they lasted 4 days before the blenny bullied them and the hermit crabs got them and I lost both. Any suggestions on fish? Guessing something not so passive... thanks!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while... my tank is a 32 gallon biocube and has been up and running for 4 months. I’ve currently got a starry blenny and 2 Nemo clowns. I’m looking for another fish or 2 to round out my community. I tried a firefish pair and they lasted 4 days before the blenny bullied them and the hermit crabs got them and I lost both. Any suggestions on fish? Guessing something not so passive... thanks!
Try a royal gramma basslet. They add a good splash of color to the tank and from what I’ve seen they’re not scared to fight back against fish of similar size to them that try to pick on them and they won’t go out of their way to pick on a fish

Maximus52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! I currently have a RSM c250 with lps, soft corals, 2 clams, a ball sponge, foxface, green Chromis, 2 clowns, and a six line wrasse. My filtration is a stock skimmer, a biopellet Media Reactor, and a Carbon/gfo Reactor and all my parameters are in Reef range. I was thinking of adding a Bengaii Cardinal, a solar wrasse, and a fire fish.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I currently have a RSM c250 with lps, soft corals, 2 clams, a ball sponge, foxface, green Chromis, 2 clowns, and a six line wrasse. My filtration is a stock skimmer, a biopellet Media Reactor, and a Carbon/gfo Reactor and all my parameters are in Reef range. I was thinking of adding a Bengaii Cardinal, a solar wrasse, and a fire fish.

Your tank is not large enough to House a foxface and is Borderline for the 6 line or any other fairy wrasse.

Consider trading them in at your LFS.

then the firefish and cardinal will be ok to add.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Some options include kupang damsel, chalk basslet, royal gramma.
The foxface will outgrow that tank. A sixline will not tolerate a solorensis or firefish.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow-up to an earlier question, is a 160g tank large enough for a pair of bellus angels plus a swallowtail angel? Liveaquaria told me they recommend 225g or even 300g for this combo, which seems like way overkill.

Current stock list:

1 royal gramma
3 pj cardinals
1 tailspot blenny
1 engineer goby
2 zoster butterflys
1 pyramid butterfly
1 foxface
2 snowflake clowns
various shrimp/snails/crabs

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow-up to an earlier question, is a 160g tank large enough for a pair of bellus angels plus a swallowtail angel? Liveaquaria told me they recommend 225g or even 300g for this combo, which seems like way overkill.

Current stock list:

1 royal gramma
3 pj cardinals
1 tailspot blenny
1 engineer goby
2 zoster butterflys
1 pyramid butterfly
1 foxface
2 snowflake clowns
various shrimp/snails/crabs
It depends on the personality of the fish. Some can be pretty cruel to subordinate congenerics, some are pretty chill.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallon reef. So far I have ..

2 gladiator clowns
1 purple firefish
1 firefish
Diamond goby
Blue pygmy angel
One spot foxface
Cleaner shrimp
Yellow banded wrasse in QT

Tank has been up since march.
Next I'm thinking a flamehawkfish,anthias, and 2 tangs. In the end I want a blue throat trigger.
I want more swimmers.

Any other suggestions?

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on a stocking plan for my red sea max s-400 (100g display, 15g sump) reef tank. Still have the oversized stock skimmer, so should be able to handle any load. Mostly intend to keep softies and LPS, mostly easy stuff planned.

Currently I have a small CUC that I probably need to increase. 4 turbos, 5 nassarius, 10 hermit crabs. Not sure how many more I should aim for. I don't want peppermint shrimp, bad experience in the past with them.

I have 2 ocellaris clowns that hopefully are becoming forever friends. Added 5 days ago and are never apart.

Planning on:
  • Yellow tang
  • Sixline wrasse (Not until I get a lid)
  • Blenny - Starry or bicolor
Interested in some combination of these, not all of them of course..but I'm not totally sure what the right number is. (bolded ones are my faves)
  • Dottyback - bicolor or orchid
  • Banggai Cardinalfish
  • Flame angel
  • Copperband Butterflyfish - Heard they were good about eating stuff. Worried that LiveAquaria marks them as "difficult"
  • Coral Beauty
  • Dwarf lionfish
  • Powder blue tang - Really want some blue in the tank but I know two tangs is probably not ok since I don't have the long tank. Don't like chromis or blue damsels. Certainly open to the idea of getting a small one and selling him once he gets large, or I guess I'd go with the coral beauty instead.
  • Spotted puffer
  • Goby & pistol shrimp duo
Very open to suggestions. This is my second reef tank, biggest one I've ever owned. I was thinking that my next addition would probably be the blenny. Everyone will be quarantined before being added in my 20g qt tank. Or should I be getting more clean up crew next?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the concerns mentioned by mta_morrow, I would also be wary of the snowflake eel. I have had the majority of them go rogue toward tankmates as they mature.

The damsels or flame angel should be ok. The orchid won't work in that size tank with a sixline in that size tank, and a midas may not tolerate a kamahora in that size tank.

That tank is barely big enough for one tang, let alone another. Don't do it.

ok, I've read too many horror stories on here about the sixline so I'm going to attempt to catch him and give him the boot so I can get me an orchid dottyback. Will the dottyback be ok with a christmas wrasse or a melanarus wrasse if they both go in at the same time?

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the Atlantic longnose butterfly be akin to a copperband butterfly in they are fairly reef safe but hopefully eat aiptasia. Want a smaller easier to care for substitute.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea xl 425 mixed reef
current stock:
3 chack basslets
sailfin blenny
springeri damsel
purple firefish
flame wrasse
longnose hawkfish
mc cosker wrasse
want to add red line wrasse and some other active fish. maybe anthias?
my lfs has dispar and fathead now. which one would work? different?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the Atlantic longnose butterfly be akin to a copperband butterfly in they are fairly reef safe but hopefully eat aiptasia. Want a smaller easier to care for substitute.

They both require the same care, eat the same foods and get to almost the same size.

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both require the same care, eat the same foods and get to almost the same size.

Thank you for the reply. I was asking about this one. Live Aquaria states they only get to 4in
9B9D089C-8EE0-4D43-8481-2C353F05F62F.png

medicw131

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am wanting to put in a flametail blenny in my tank. I have a 75 gallon with the listed stocking:

1 yellow tang
1 midas blenny
2 ocellaris clowns
1 leopard wrasse

I'm mostly concerned about the midas not getting along with a flametail though. Is there much aggression between the two? The bio load in my tank is pretty low, so I'm not concerned about that. I'd also like to add a couple yellow coris wrasses and about 4 or 5 dispar anthias.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back