Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping for some input on a final stocking list. The tank is 6' x 2.5' x 22", 205 G. Tank has been running for almost 9 years, but experienced major neglect for the last five years due to major health issues on my part. Parameters have been stable and appropriate care has resumed for several months now.
Currently have:
1 ocellaris clownfish (the lone survivor of the last five years)
5 lyretail anthias
1 linespot flasher wrasse
1 diamond goby

Would like to add:
1 carpenter wrasse
1 pintail wrasse
1 blue hippo tang
1 convict tang
1 purple firefish
1 ruby longfin wrasse
1 adorned wrasse - would not be able to add if I include the cleaner shrimp below.
1 cleaner shrimp

In an ideal world I'd like to add a purple tang some day, but I'm concerned about aggression. Can the others coexist successfully? I feed at least 3 times a day and current inhabitants are doing well.
I think the purple tang would be good as it a different type of tang to the others. Be careful adding the tangs especially the blue due to disease. Add the tangs last and preferably together.

Cirrhilabrus isosceles and Cirrhilabrus rubeus? The isosceles (pintail) is pretty peaceful and the rubeus (ruby long fin) is medium peaceful which is why I worry a little about the carpenter flasher wrasse as flashers are shy fish. @i cant think ?

As for the adorned wrasse I have never had a problem with halichoeres wrasse and cleaner shrimp you should be good to go there!

The only problem I do see is that firefish can be cowards so be warned it may hide a lot and will try to jump.

Fish4Me2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the purple tang would be good as it a different type of tang to the others. Be careful adding the tangs especially the blue due to disease. Add the tangs last and preferably together.

Cirrhilabrus isosceles and Cirrhilabrus rubeus? The isosceles (pintail) is pretty peaceful and the rubeus (ruby long fin) is medium peaceful which is why I worry a little about the carpenter flasher wrasse as flashers are shy fish. @i cant think ?

As for the adorned wrasse I have never had a problem with halichoeres wrasse and cleaner shrimp you should be good to go there!

The only problem I do see is that firefish can be cowards so be warned it may hide a lot and will try to jump.
Thank you! I have always run a fully medicated qt process, so hopefully that will keep disease out of the main tank. I’ve got the best fitting lid I can manage with the eurobracing, and so far the goby and existing wrasse have stayed safe, but I know fish can find the smallest holes to escape from. Will think more about the fire fish.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be debating whether I should get a Regal Angel or not… hesitant cuz I’m also a Zoa guy.
They're more likely to eat LPS and may avoid zoas due to their toxicity. It may or may not. Stick to a species of genicanhtus if you're worried.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i have a small reef tank which is 40cm*40cm*40cm running for 9 months. Now my tank already have one blue tang(5cm), two amphiprion ocellaris (6cm*1 and 3cm*1), one chromis viridis (4cm). For SPS i have Starburst Polyp*1 Colony Polyp*1 Lemnalia Tree Corals*1. i want to ask what else can i add-in. Because i love all fish or coral, so i would happy to add anything into my tank.
Gobies, Blenny, royal gramma, Cardinal fish.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i have a small reef tank which is 40cm*40cm*40cm running for 9 months. Now my tank already have one blue tang(5cm), two amphiprion ocellaris (6cm*1 and 3cm*1), one chromis viridis (4cm). For SPS i have Starburst Polyp*1 Colony Polyp*1 Lemnalia Tree Corals*1. i want to ask what else can i add-in. Because i love all fish or coral, so i would happy to add anything into my tank.

Welcome to R2R! Nice sized tank. I would avoid adding any more fish, though. In a 60 litre tank, I'd personally stick to about 3-4 fish. In your case, the two established clownfish would probably attack any new fish. Clowns can be very territorial little dudes. I'd also recommend taking the tang out. While it's fine for now and will be for a few more months, it will eventually reach about 20 cm in length, and within only a few years. In a tank less than 150 cm, the fish will likely become stressed and potentially get sick or jump out. Instead, a springeri or azure damselfish will add similar color without the space issues. As far as coral goes, you can't go wrong with zoanthids and mushrooms. I would also recommend Sinularia and Sarcophyton leather corals. I hope that this helps, and good luck with your tank!

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Nice sized tank. I would avoid adding any more fish, though. In a 60 litre tank, I'd personally stick to about 3-4 fish. In your case, the two established clownfish would probably attack any new fish. Clowns can be very territorial little dudes. I'd also recommend taking the tang out. While it's fine for now and will be for a few more months, it will eventually reach about 20 cm in length, and within only a few years. In a tank less than 150 cm, the fish will likely become stressed and potentially get sick or jump out. Instead, a springeri or azure damselfish will add similar color without the space issues. As far as coral goes, you can't go wrong with zoanthids and mushrooms. I would also recommend Sinularia and Sarcophyton leather corals. I hope that this helps, and good luck with your tank!
Thanks a lot bro. I’m also afraid that adding more fish will destroy my system. Besides, recently my tank’s No3 are near 80-100, I wonder if I adding a little refugium would help to decrease the No3?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some catching up to do haha, sorry I haven’t been as active - a lot got in the way.

No not all. I don't have the Anthias, Midas Blenny or Firefish yet.
  • I added all the tangs at the exact same time, they get along pretty well so far. I've had them 1.5 months. No physical aggression that I've seen but they do kind of splay out their fins and swim next to each other kind of like they're sizing each other up sometimes. I just worry my tank will be too small for all 4 of them long term. I based my tang selection on the Reef Builders "Kitchen Sink" 4 foot tank which has the same 4 tangs I have plus a Powder Blue and that tank is 50 gallons less than mine. Based on this I thought I'd be OK.
  • I had 3 chromis but one carpet surfed and didn't make it. I got a screen top after that. The 2 left seem fine/no visible aggression.
  • I have an Avast Plank autofeeder. Currently it runs 3x per day for 45 seconds. Filled with TDO pellets, PE pellets, and nori flakes. When I add the Anthias I'll probably increase to 4 or 5x per day. This is in addition to feeding a variety or frozen food and/or a half nori sheet 1x per day.
  • As for the Firefish being too shy, what would be the worst case scenario here? Are you saying it will be killed/starve or are you saying it will hide all the time but be otherwise healthy?
  • I was thinking about a Yellow Coris Wrasse or a Leopard Wrasse. My only reservation is what if someday I get an Aiptasia outbreak and and want to use Burgiha nudis. Wouldn't be able to with the Wrasse. On the other hand they eat flatworms which is great.
Unfortunately berghia nudibranchs may be on the menu for wrasses. Unlike many other nudibranchs the Berghia’s are non-toxic and therefore are likely to be prey. I have personally never had luck with Berghia nudibranchs anyway - every aiptasia outbreak I’ve had was only fixed manually with Aiptasia-X.

Leopard Wrasses are more likely to be safe with Berghia Nudibranchs as they tend to mainly hunt pods and not much else in terms of live food. However there are some leopards that will hunt nudibranchs it’s really a 50/50.
A Yellow ‘Coris’ Wrasse (NOT a true Coris) will however hunt Nudibranchs, Flatworms ect. and most in the Genus Halichoeres are known for hunting these. I have heard of Halichoeres iridis being a 50/50 on whether they hunt pests or not however I have yet to find one that doesn’t doubt pests efficiently so even they're not 100%.

If you want wrasses but you don’t want to risk berghia nudibranchs, then look into the Cirrhilabrus genus (And if your tank is 4’ long or longer, the Paracheilinus genus is also open).

I'm hoping for some input on a final stocking list. The tank is 6' x 2.5' x 22", 205 G. Tank has been running for almost 9 years, but experienced major neglect for the last five years due to major health issues on my part. Parameters have been stable and appropriate care has resumed for several months now.
Currently have:
1 ocellaris clownfish (the lone survivor of the last five years)
5 lyretail anthias
1 linespot flasher wrasse
1 diamond goby

Would like to add:
1 carpenter wrasse
1 pintail wrasse
1 blue hippo tang
1 convict tang
1 purple firefish
1 ruby longfin wrasse
1 adorned wrasse - would not be able to add if I include the cleaner shrimp below.
1 cleaner shrimp

In an ideal world I'd like to add a purple tang some day, but I'm concerned about aggression. Can the others coexist successfully? I feed at least 3 times a day and current inhabitants are doing well.
This is a common misconception I’ve seen. It’s that ‘Halichoeres wrasses can’t be kept with shrimp’. This isn’t actually 100% true.
You can have a Halichoeres cosmetus with a Cleaner Shrimp, they both get large but also their role is too much of a risk on the reef. The fish relies on the shrimp as a way to remain healthy, without the shrimp the fish is risking more disease. Also, the size of a mature Lysmata amboinensis isn’t small. Mine has to be 3 inches at this point, he’s around 2.5 years old and was bought as a 1-1.5 inch specimen. I have him in with two Halichoeres wrasses - a Radiant and a Jade. Neither of the wrasses bother the shrimp. I do have a Golden Dwarf Boxer and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp in the tank as well (I would love to add a few other shrimp into the tank and know I can be successful as the only shrimp I didn’t add after the wrasses was the Cleaner).

The Flasher Wrasse will be perfect for that tank and may actually get your Blue to display more often. Just be cautious with the introduction as the established flasher may chase the newbie (I wouldn’t expect it to be aggressive aggressive but it may not be 100% peaceful either).

The Cirrhilabrus isosceles should be alright too, however the Ruby Longfin has 2-3 species that go under the name and not all of them are good candidates with peaceful wrasses. Do you have a photo or scientific name of the one you want?

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never understood why people think blennies and Gobies can’t cohabitate with eachother, I’d love to know why you think that :)

As for the Cleaner Shrimp, they’re honestly a shrimp you can’t regret. They do perfect with larger wrasses as they tend to get ignored due to their job of keeping the wrasse pest free and they also have a funny personality.

If you must have a tang, is there a fish you can convince them is ‘Dory’ without them realising it actually isn’t ‘Dory’?
So for example, a similar body shaped blue fish that isn’t going to get 1’ long or aggressive before it outgrows the tank?
I’ve never understood why people think blennies and Gobies can’t cohabitate with eachother, I’d love to know why you think that :)

As for the Cleaner Shrimp, they’re honestly a shrimp you can’t regret. They do perfect with larger wrasses as they tend to get ignored due to their job of keeping the wrasse pest free and they also have a funny personality.

If you must have a tang, is there a fish you can convince them is ‘Dory’ without them realising it actually isn’t ‘Dory’?
So for example, a similar body shaped blue fish that isn’t going to get 1’ long or aggressive before it outgrows the tank?
I have convinced my LFS to take it back for store credits once it outgrows the tank. Also my family knows the difference between powder blue, hippo, royal blue etc. I checked that already. LOL. So I doubt they will settle for a blue fish.

And as for the blennies and goby, they are both bottom dwellers and assumed they will fight for territory. Or is Blenny a rock dweller?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have convinced my LFS to take it back for store credits once it outgrows the tank. Also my family knows the difference between powder blue, hippo, royal blue etc. I checked that already. LOL. So I doubt they will settle for a blue fish.

And as for the blennies and goby, they are both bottom dwellers and assumed they will fight for territory. Or is Blenny a rock dweller?
Blennies are more so rock dwellers and prefer to poke their head outside of small holes that they back themselves into.

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies are more so rock dwellers and prefer to poke their head outside of small holes that they back themselves into.
Updated list after the suggestions.
Details of tank
3ft wide 55G with 30G sump. Added lots of pods already. Have a refugium.

Here is the list
2 x Clown fish[1" now] in QT
1 x Yello Goby[1" now] in QT

Planning to add in this order

2 x Bangai Cardinal
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Firefish [orange color]
1 x Orange spotted blenny
2 x BG Mandarin pair[tank bred, will add to tank 4 months from now]
1 X Blue hippo tang[Plan is to trade it in as soon as it hits 5", also add 4 months from now]

Is this a compatible list? I have an option to order all of this at once, all quarantined and conditioned before delivery and get it delivered first 4 in a week or two and last two in 4 months from now. I want to make sure that these fish can live together before placing the order.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details of tank

Here is the list

2 x Bangai Cardinal
1 x Royal Gramma
1 X Blue hippo tang[Plan is to trade it in as soon as it hits 5", also add 4 months from now]

Is this a compatible list? I have an option to order all of this at once, all quarantined and conditioned before delivery and get it delivered first 4 in a week or two and last two in 4 months from now. I want to make sure that these fish can live together before placing the order.
I give the
1671763855412.gif

of approval. I would say have it up to 4” just because 5” is a decent sized Hippo Tang.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details of tank

Here is the list

2 x Bangai Cardinal
1 x Royal Gramma

Agreed. Slight chance the firefish will be scared of the blenny so give it a little while to find a good hole. A week or so will do.

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of approval. I would say have it up to 4” just because 5” is a decent sized Hippo Tang.

Agreed. Slight chance the firefish will be scared of the blenny so give it a little while to find a good hole. A week or so will do.
Will keep it to 4" then. How long do you think it will take to get to 4" and 5" for a blue hippo tang? Also is it OK to add Mandarins and tang at once in 4 months? My tanks age would be around 5 months from full setup and almost 6 months since cycle complete. Pods should take a good hold of it by that time.
And I was also suggested to add some kind of a wrasse to eat pests but I didn't want to add for two reasons. One, I think it will compete with Mandarin for pods and also I think I have many slow feeders and they may not get any food. Do I really need one?

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will keep it to 4" then. How long do you think it will take to get to 4" and 5" for a blue hippo tang? Also is it OK to add Mandarins and tang at once in 4 months? My tanks age would be around 5 months from full setup and almost 6 months since cycle complete. Pods should take a good hold of it by that time.
And I was also suggested to add some kind of a wrasse to eat pests but I didn't want to add for two reasons. One, I think it will compete with Mandarin for pods and also I think I have many slow feeders and they may not get any food.
So that really depends on how much you feed him, and healthy he is. They can grow quick so in a few months he should get around that size. You can aim for a small healthy one and that one will last you longer. Make sure to feed them plenty of Nori.

Adding the Tang and the Mandarins at the same time? Yes. Adding the Mandarins at 6 months? Maybe. This all depends on the population of pods and health of your reef. The more corals and pods the better with them. I would personally wait around a year just to have pod numbers stabilize and by then I’d have around at least 50% of my corals, but that’s just me. As long as you dose and grow pods repeatedly (helpful if you have a refugium) their numbers stay at a reasonable number (they eat them all day long), it should be alright to keep them. The fish will tell you if they are ok.

While it is true they can compete for Pods, it is helpful to add one such as a Halichoeres. In the long run it can help you to be on top of the Pod population. A Yellow Coris or an Iridis would be a good Halichoeres to start with. Just keep in mind the Iridis can get a bit finicky.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is such a great thread. I’ve got a 70 gallon aio that’s been running an over a year. I currently have a flame angel, a pair of clowns, an engineer goby, Swiss guard, leopard wrasse, and a mystery wrasse. I’m wanting to add a mandarin but I’m concerned that the wrasses will out compete it for the pods. I have a refugium with chaeto but have never dosed pods and have never seen them in the tank. In a previous tank I only needed to buy pods once since they would propagate in the fuge but I didn’t have any wrasses. I don’t want to have to continually buy pods or rely on teaching the mandarin to take pellets. Should I pass on the mandarin or will it be able to find enough pods?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is such a great thread. I’ve got a 70 gallon aio that’s been running an over a year. I currently have a flame angel, a pair of clowns, an engineer goby, Swiss guard, leopard wrasse, and a mystery wrasse. I’m wanting to add a mandarin but I’m concerned that the wrasses will out compete it for the pods. I have a refugium with chaeto but have never dosed pods and have never seen them in the tank. In a previous tank I only needed to buy pods once since they would propagate in the fuge but I didn’t have any wrasses. I don’t want to have to continually buy pods or rely on teaching the mandarin to take pellets. Should I pass on the mandarin or will it be able to find enough pods?
Why not get a captive bred mandarin? If you get them from the right source they will already be eating frozen and pellets.

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that really depends on how much you feed him, and healthy he is. They can grow quick so in a few months he should get around that size. You can aim for a small healthy one and that one will last you longer. Make sure to feed them plenty of Nori.

Adding the Tang and the Mandarins at the same time? Yes. Adding the Mandarins at 6 months? Maybe. This all depends on the population of pods and health of your reef. The more corals and pods the better with them. I would personally wait around a year just to have pod numbers stabilize and by then I’d have around at least 50% of my corals, but that’s just me. As long as you dose and grow pods repeatedly (helpful if you have a refugium) their numbers stay at a reasonable number (they eat them all day long), it should be alright to keep them. The fish will tell you if they are ok.

While it is true they can compete for Pods, it is helpful to add one such as a Halichoeres. In the long run it can help you to be on top of the Pod population. A Yellow Coris or an Iridis would be a good Halichoeres to start with. Just keep in mind the Iridis can get a bit finicky.
This is some really good information and thank you. Yellow corris wrasse was in my original list and removed it once I decided I'll get a Mandarin pair instead of just 1. Can the Mandarins keep Pod population in check or are there other pests that the Mandarins will not eat? Another info I missed to add was, both Mandarins will be captive bred. So I am assuming they will eat processed food and not just organic stuff.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some really good information and thank you. Yellow corris wrasse was in my original list and removed it once I decided I'll get a Mandarin pair instead of just 1. Can the Mandarins keep Pod population in check or are there other pests that the Mandarins will not eat? Another info I missed to add was, both Mandarins will be captive bred. So I am assuming they will eat processed food and not just organic stuff.
They will eat frozen and pellets so long as they were raised on that like biota does.

You could also get a smaller wrasse like a possum or pink streaked if you can find one. They will eat fewer pods and the pink will still eat those pests.

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat frozen and pellets so long as they were raised on that like biota does.

You could also get a smaller wrasse like a possum or pink streaked if you can find one. They will eat fewer pods and the pink will still eat those pests.
It is from Dr Reef and it just says captive bred. But not sure if it is like Biota. I will find out.

I will probably add more pods between now and before I receive them. Its been 2 days since I added the pods and I see them crawling around wherever there is not a lot of flow or light. Hope it stabilizes quick as there are no predators for pods in the tank now[no fish]. 'Those pests' like worms and things correct?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back