Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! so i really wanted something that isnt a fish (like an octopus or eel or something like that.) but it needs to be reef safe and fit in a 75g. it also can be a very interesting looking fish as well. not looking for an invert as i have a couple of those
Engineer goby maybe? All I’ve got are fish ideas cuz my non-fish ideas not sure how well they would do with your inverts. Maybe a Snake Eel but not sure if the tank is a tad bit small. @Slocke what do you think of a Snake Eel in that sized tank?

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer goby maybe? All I’ve got are fish ideas cuz my non-fish ideas not sure how well they would do with your inverts. Maybe a Snake Eel but not sure if the tank is a tad bit small. @Slocke what do you think of a Snake Eel in that sized tank?
Personally snake eels can fit, they don't get too big

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nvm, Might be doing a 180 gallon

Panther grouper
Porcupine puffer
Blue ribbon eel
Regal angelfish
Cubicus boxfish
Pbt/naso/sailfin tang
Niger trigger
Foxface
Maybe a random Australian stripey or a snowflake/zebra moray

This isn't a full plan, I'm just putting the possibility out

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! so i really wanted something that isnt a fish (like an octopus or eel or something like that.) but it needs to be reef safe and fit in a 75g. it also can be a very interesting looking fish as well. not looking for an invert as i have a couple of those
Not fish or invert? Then you are limited by taxonomy to hagfish as they are technically not inverts nor are they really fish but something in between. Of course you could consider things that evolved from fish not fish and that opens you up to sea snakes, turtles, cetaceans, penguins, and a few other species of marine birds and mammals. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Seriously though engineer gobies are fully reed safe but also impressive fish so that’s a great suggestion. Some snake eels are fish safe but none are safe with inverts. Cephalopods like octopi and cuttlefish are very effective hunters too. A brittle starfish is sadly the most octopi like thing that is reef safe. As for eels it is either as @Petcrazyson suggested with an engineer goby, a jawfish like the yellow headed, or if you really are open for a challenge then Garden eels.

The issue is Graden eels (and jawfish) need a lot of sand. Also garden eels need several feedings per day and often are very finicky and hard to get eating.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many anthias to add?

I have 180 reef current stocking:
Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
vrolik wrasse
flame angel
flameback angel
2 sand sifting wrasse
1 yasha goby
spotted mandarin female
green mandarin male
2 percula clowns
5 blue/green chromis
1 red linkia starfish
2 cleaner shrimp
1 red flame shrime
1 emerald crab
snails
5 BTAs
2 leather corals
kenya tree
Lots of LR

I have a male red lyretail anthias ready to go in tank... I was thinking of getting him 3 females to form a harem? is this to many fish? I read that anthias will be happier in a group? I would rather add them together so the females don't change male in QT?
How many anthias to add?

I have 180 reef current stocking:
Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
vrolik wrasse
flame angel
flameback angel
2 sand sifting gobies
1 yasha goby
2 purple firefish
spotted mandarin female
green mandarin male
2 percula clowns
5 blue/green chromis
1 red linkia starfish
2 cleaner shrimp
1 red flame shrime
1 emerald crab
snails
5 BTAs
2 leather corals
kenya tree
Lots of LR

I have a male red lyretail anthias ready to go in tank... I was thinking of getting him 3 females to form a harem? is this to many fish? I read that anthias will be happier in a group? I would rather add them together so the females don't change male in QT?
Bump?? I need to get the 3 females if this will work asap or one will start turning male? Is that too many fish for a 180 gallon reef? I will be adding more LR when I put them in so they can fit nd hiding spots :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump?? I need to get the 3 females if this will work asap or one will start turning male? Is that too many fish for a 180 gallon reef? I will be adding more LR when I put them in so they can fit nd hiding spots :)
Often times people have more luck with just one. But if you want a group the bigger the better as it spreads out aggression. 3-4 is probably just enough.

As for too many fish that’s down to your filtration and how aggressive your other fish are.
Anthias often fill the top of the tank where other fish don’t so they might not clash with other fish.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the thought process of debating whether to upgrade my little 17 gallon aquarium to a 90x45x45 48 gallon as the aquarium itself is new optic glass rimless compared to my tank which has long peices of glass holding it together on the top and the glass is not very nice. All I would need to buy is the aquarium 120$ a better skimmer 15$ 10kg more live sand 30$ tidal Seachem 55 waterfall filter 65$. I would be using my old aquarium as a sump so that no equipment is visible in the aquarium. Around 250-300$ including other expenses.

I currently have 2 small baby clown a small yellow banded possum wrasse and a small lawnmower blenny.
I would hope to add:
baby scooter blenny
Blue spotted jawfish
Pictus blenny
How many and wich of these/how many more could I add and some suggestions.

Please keep in mind I can only buy fish found in Indonesia.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back