Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed this!

I was thinking in a tank that big two small blennies wouldn’t fight and I am going to have to correct myself, I am definitely not getting a blue spotted jawfish because they are 300$ compared to all my other fish that were less than 5$ including my YBPW. I would definitely get a shrimp goby pair or two and in the 80 gallon I would want to go for a pair of scooter blennies as they would have more than enough pods.
My goal for this tank is going to be a large nano tank so no fish too big because I don't like big fish and I love a big ecosystem of small fish instead of just big fish circling the tank. I am planning on upgrading at least to a 30 gallon as they are only 18$ and I could use the extra space.
So for now my list consists of what I already have
Small yellow banded possum wrasse
Small lawnmower blenny
Two very small baby clownfish
I am getting a super small scooter blenny soon
What I would plan for the 80 gallon
Another small scooter blenny for a pair
A wheeler's shrimp goby pistol shrimp pair
A yasha goby pair pistol shrimp trio
Pictus blenny
Any other ideas? Or is that full capacity?
Hmmm. What about darters/firefish and I wonder if a group of possum wrasse would work? @i cant think ?
A nice colony of firefish would look beautiful in a peaceful tank. Also for the 80 I would still suggest a small species of flasher or fairy wrasse. Their energy would add a lot without adding aggression.

However by now I feel like you are the expert in nano fish with all that research you’ve done!

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. What about darters/firefish and I wonder if a group of possum wrasse would work? @i cant think ?
A nice colony of firefish would look beautiful in a peaceful tank. Also for the 80 I would still suggest a small species of flasher or fairy wrasse. Their energy would add a lot without adding aggression.

However by now I feel like you are the expert in nano fish?
I really like the idea of a group of some sortI and I have thought about the group of possum wrasse becuase it would be absolutely amazing but copepod wise it might not be the best idea? If it would be fine please let me know as I have done my own research into keeping a pair in my current tank and it can be done and I will 100% do that (even if it means I can only have one of the two small scooter blennies(or neither because I haven’t gotten the first yet but that would be if it is 100% not possible)). Haha thanks, I know quite a few species of fish and their requirements but I would definitely not say I am an expert.

I would like to add to what I have already said, I am looking for fish that aren’t aggressive or even semi aggressive because the tank is based on small fish and I don’t want any aggression or deaths. Also I might add a few corals so no not Reef safe or semi reef safe fish and safe thing with fish that are invert safe.
This tank would have quite a few inverts, two candycane pistol shrimp, two bumble bee shrimp, potentially two harlequin shrimp, a not apraxia eating peppermint shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, maybe around ten sexy shrimp as I am getting 5 already, two blue leg saron shrimp. I currently have a cleanup crew sufficient for an 80 gallon in my 17 gallon, 5 nassarius, 6 turbo, 1 blue tux urchin.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small group of Chromis could be nice but if I have the group of possum wrasse that would be preferable. BTW I will be moving the clown pair to the sump because they will get too big for my liking and might annoy or be aggressive towards other fish plus I don’t particularly want the BTA in the display.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small group of Chromis could be nice but if I have the group of possum wrasse that would be preferable. BTW I will be moving the clown pair to the sump because they will get too big for my liking and might annoy or be aggressive towards other fish plus I don’t particularly want the BTA in the display.
should be fine, as long as you have alot of lr and big refuge

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

Typo, 6 should be fine, more is better to disperse ggression
I was thinking that might be the case, what a beautiful school of fish that would be and not too pricey as they are around 5-10$ each. How many other small fish could I add with six yellow banded possum wrasse? Also if you think it would work, there are also white banded possum wrasse available here so I could do a mix but I’m not too sure if that would work and what the ratio and numbers should be.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that might be the case, what a beautiful school of fish that would be and not too pricey as they are around 5-10$ each. How many other small fish could I add with six yellow banded possum wrasse? Also if you think it would work, there are also white banded possum wrasse available here so I could do a mix but I’m not too sure if that would work and what the ratio and numbers should be.
Possum wrasses don’t do well in groups, especially the Yellow Banded (Wetmorella nigropinnata). These guys are much like the pink streaks in which in the wild they are only found in small groups of 3-4, rarely exceeding the 5-6 range. Nigropinnata does best alone or in pairs however even then, a pair will likely not work.

What size tank are we taking about here?

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasses don’t do well in groups, especially the Yellow Banded (Wetmorella nigropinnata). These guys are much like the pink streaks in which in the wild they are only found in small groups of 3-4, rarely exceeding the 5-6 range. Nigropinnata does best alone or in pairs however even then, a pair will likely not work.

What size tank are we taking about here?
80 gallons, they would be the main attraction.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I take your thumbs up as a that could work @i cant think ?
It could work however I wouldn’t risk it.
I say this to everyone wanting a pair/trio or larger group:
If you try Atleast 2 attempts that aren’t part of the trio/pair and you keep both long term or you know what went wrong in one Attempt and kept the other long term (1-2 years) you should gain an idea of how easy this species is in your care and then decide whether you want a trio or pair.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could work however I wouldn’t risk it.
I say this to everyone wanting a pair/trio or larger group:
If you try Atleast 2 attempts that aren’t part of the trio/pair and you keep both long term or you know what went wrong in one Attempt and kept the other long term (1-2 years) you should gain an idea of how easy this species is in your care and then decide whether you want a trio or pair.
Ok thanks, I have had my little guy for not very long but he is super active super peaceful only eats frozen and pods and I think he could benefit from being in a group. Would you say it would be better to do three YBPW and three WBPW? Or would there be inter tribal aggression and other problems?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I have had my little guy for not very long but he is super active super peaceful only eats frozen and pods and I think he could benefit from being in a group. Would you say it would be better to do three YBPW and three WBPW? Or would there be inter tribal aggression and other problems?
I wouldn’t do a group of 6 of any of the 4 nano species. The maximum I’d go is probably 4 of one species.

So for example this would likely work out;
2-3x Pseudocheilinops ataenia
2-3x Wetmorella tanakai

However, mixing Wetmorella species would likely cause a riot with them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking for what people would say about stocking a 80 gallon with small fish and no angelfish or anthias or Chromis and damsels.
That would absolutely work and in fact that’s much like my dream tank (Although I’d have to mix in some Tilefish personally)
Just look at that face!
5E84873C-0ACB-4A4D-865D-281A2795396D.jpeg

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a group of 6 of any of the 4 nano species. The maximum I’d go is probably 4 of one species.

So for example this would likely work out;
2-3x Pseudocheilinops ataenia
2-3x Wetmorella tanakai

However, mixing Wetmorella species would likely cause a riot with them.
Ok thanks, I’ll keep that in mind and appreciate the feedback but as I haven’t really seen any other tanks with more than two possum wrasse I think having a small school of them might be a cool experiment and if there are no problems it would make an impeccably beautiful tank.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 106 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back