Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info on two spots, ill stay away. I haven't added him yet, do you still think it is a good idea if I upgrade? Also is 3 banded pipefish too many/not enough?
I would still avoid it personally - I find most gobies that soft sand and aren’t CB should be left for more experienced reefers or left for the larger tanks with deep sandbeds.
I’d push 3 pipefish down to 2 personally. The more pod eaters you add the more likely you’ll end up with some starving others out.

I personally would stick to 6 pod eaters (Although my 6th doesn’t really eat pods and goes more for sponges) in a 4’ tank. 7 if you are 100% sure you can keep up with them. However 8-9 is where it begins to push it unless you’re weekly adding pods and feeding nutrient rich foods.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallon 120x50x50 plans
Fish:
6x yellow banded possum wrasse
2x Yasha hase gobies
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
2x Baby scooter blennies
2x Baby clown fish
1x Small lawnmower blenny
1x Pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
2x One spot gobies
3?x Banded pipefish

Inverts:
6x Turbo snails
5x Nassarius snails
2x Bumble bee shrimp
2x Harlequin shrimp
10x Sexy shrimp
2x Blue leg saron shrimp
1x Skunk cleaner shrimp
2x Candycane pistol shrimp
1x Peppermint shrimp
1x Fighting conch
1x Blue tuxedo urchin
2x Small Pom Pom crabs
1x Small bubble tip anemone
Let me know opinions and order of adding.
If anyone wants to suggest anything, here are all the fish that are available in my area that might be suitable for my tank. The ones crossed off are all that I have decided unfit for the tank.
Gobies: Blue streak goby, yellow clown goby, green clown goby, black clown goby, yellow watchman goby, diamond watchman goby, orange stripe prawn goby, pinkbar goby, yasha hase goby, sleeper banded goby, two spot goby, wheeler's watchman goby, orange spotted goby.
Blennies: Pictus blenny, lawnmower blenny, bicolor blenny, black combtooth blenny, harptail blenny.
Wrasse: sixline wrasse, yellow banded possum wrasse, white banded possum wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, green wrasse, carpenter's flasher wrasse, naoko fairy wrasse.
Pipefish: Dragonface pipefish, banded pipefish.
Misc fish: Flying jet seamoth, small flying gurnard.

Last edited:

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still avoid it personally - I find most gobies that soft sand and aren’t CB should be left for more experienced reefers or left for the larger tanks with deep sandbeds.
I’d push 3 pipefish down to 2 personally. The more pod eaters you add the more likely you’ll end up with some starving others out.

I personally would stick to 6 pod eaters (Although my 6th doesn’t really eat pods and goes more for sponges) in a 4’ tank. 7 if you are 100% sure you can keep up with them. However 8-9 is where it begins to push it unless you’re weekly adding pods and feeding nutrient rich foods.
Would you say 2 banded pipefish or one dragonface pipefish?
Edit: or even 2 dragonface pipefish?

Last edited:

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallon 120x50x50 plans
Fish:
6x yellow banded possum wrasse
2x Yasha hase gobies
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
2x Baby scooter blennies
2x Baby clown fish
1x Small lawnmower blenny
1x Pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
2x One spot gobies
3?x Banded pipefish

Inverts:
6x Turbo snails
5x Nassarius snails
2x Bumble bee shrimp
2x Harlequin shrimp
10x Sexy shrimp
2x Blue leg saron shrimp
1x Skunk cleaner shrimp
2x Candycane pistol shrimp
1x Peppermint shrimp
1x Fighting conch
1x Blue tuxedo urchin
2x Small Pom Pom crabs
1x Small bubble tip anemone
Let me know opinions and order of adding.
Purple leg saron shrimp*

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you do it? I have a 225g 6-foot tank, HNSA aqua scape, thinking of adding 3 Azure Damsels. Tank currently has:

Male Genicanthus Bellus angel
White tailed bristletooth tang
Gem tang
Blonde naso tang (4 inch juvenile)
Orange shoulder tang (4-5 inch juvenile)
Melanurus wrasse
Radiant wrasse
Exquisite wrasse
Ornate leopard wrasse
Gold rhomboid wrasse male
Midas blenny
Royal gramma
Male Lyretail anthias
Female Lyretail anthias

What do you think? Would you add the 3 Azure damsels? (These would be the last fish I add…or I’ll just keep the current population as is)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you do it? I have a 225g 6-foot tank, HNSA aqua scape, thinking of adding 3 Azure Damsels. Tank currently has:

Male Genicanthus Bellus angel
White tailed bristletooth tang
Gem tang
Blonde naso tang (4 inch juvenile)
Orange shoulder tang (4-5 inch juvenile)
Melanurus wrasse
Radiant wrasse
Exquisite wrasse
Ornate leopard wrasse
Gold rhomboid wrasse male
Midas blenny
Royal gramma
Male Lyretail anthias
Female Lyretail anthias

What do you think? Would you add the 3 Azure damsels? (These would be the last fish I add…or I’ll just keep the current population as is)
Would I? No
But then I've never seen the appeal in damselfish seeing as they have such a reputation for aggression and for me the only plus for them are how easy and tough they are. I'd go with another wrasse like a naoko but then I'm a wrasse nerd.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I? No
But then I've never seen the appeal in damselfish seeing as they have such a reputation for aggression and for me the only plus for them are how easy and tough they are. I'd go with another wrasse like a naoko but then I'm a wrasse nerd.
Big no. Not worth the risk given your existing highly priced stock

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I? No
+1 No!

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I? No
Thanks everyone. It’s the nice blue that’s attractive to me and my wife and I had heard Azures aren’t big jerks like many other damsels. But like @sc50964 said, probably not worth the risk to my other fish

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. It’s the nice blue that’s attractive to me and my wife and I had heard Azures aren’t big jerks like many other damsels. But like @sc50964 said, probably not worth the risk to my other fish
Good decision, it is not worth the risk or the price (of your other fish) as they are still aggressive.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For blue I'd suggest Biotas blue streak cleaner wrasse or a blue angelfish like a Watanabei.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add a female Wantanabei with a male Bellus already in there? I didn’t think that was an option
That would be an issue. You could try giving him two female bellus at much smaller size but again - you have to go through the QT process then hope that the newbies won’t get stressed and get sick. Is it really worth it?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back