Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the snails, just one pistol, remove bumblebees, they are notoriously hard and will get lost in that tank

No not really. Mine picks at floating debris
I already have all the snails in my 17 gallon. Not my best decision ever in this hobby not realizing that was way too big a CUC for my size tank or any tank much much bigger. I have a backup for the bumble bees if they get lost.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I have never seen or heard about anyone else doing it and they do live in groups so it would be magnificent if it works out :)
I’ve only seen it accomplished in very large tanks. Your tank doesn’t have enough real estate for that many possums to establish territories so it’s too risky. We can’t reliably sex them so you could end up with several males fighting with each other. I would stick with just 2 possums and not a grouping.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only seen it accomplished in very large tanks. Your tank doesn’t have enough real estate for that many possums to establish territories so it’s too risky. We can’t reliably sex them so you could end up with several males fighting with each other. I would stick with just 2 possums and not a grouping.
Could you let me know what tank dimensions this has been done in and how many individuals and any photos or sources so I can research this? But if both are male than it would be even worse no? Also if I could reliably know if they were male or female what would be the ratio I would be looking for for 6 or 4? If 4 then 1 male to three females and 2 males to 2 females each for 6?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you let me know what tank dimensions this has been done in and how many individuals and any photos or sources so I can research this? But if both are male than it would be even worse no? Also if I could reliably know if they were male or female what would be the ratio I would be looking for for 6 or 4? If 4 then 1 male to three females and 2 males to 2 females each for 6?
It was not my tank it was a member of my reef club, he had a trio of yellow bands in an 8’ x 2’ x 2’ 240g. Two of them spawned together the 3rd we suspect was another male. Yes, two males can fight but your 80g should give them enough space away from each other. Ideally you would want only 1 male to 2-3 females.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not my tank it was a member of my reef club, he had a trio of yellow bands in an 8’ x 2’ x 2’ 240g. Two of them spawned together the 3rd we suspect was another male. Yes, two males can fight but your 80g should give them enough space away from each other. Ideally you would want only 1 male to 2-3 females.
Oh ok. Call me crazy but I have a bit of an idea on how to sex them. Here it is seemingly possible as I have seen pairs and groups being kept together if fish store and the Males that lead the group are a very dark red, even darker than my profile picture like this.
1677468837700.png
I know this guy must be very stressed being in that little water so he is flaring up but even still they exhibit a color similar to this in water compared to the so called "females" that look completely different like this.
1677469072512.png
This is not a one time only thing, there is always a very clear distinction between the two.
Please let me know if I am wrong.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Call me crazy but I have a bit of an idea on how to sex them. Here it is seemingly possible as I have seen pairs and groups being kept together if fish store and the Males that lead the group are a very dark red, even darker than my profile picture like this.
1677468837700.png
I know this guy must be very stressed being in that little water so he is flaring up but even still they exhibit a color similar to this in water compared to the so called "females" that look completely different like this.
1677469072512.png
This is not a one time only thing, there is always a very clear distinction between the two.
Please let me know if I am wrong.
My "female" looks like that but some also look a bit like this
1677469269475.png

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bit hard to see here but there is quite a difference in coloration between these two being kept in the same tank
I disagree, this theory seems amazing however one is likely more stressed than the other or one has been in the tank for longer. The ‘lighter’ one in the quoted photos above seems to be transitioning from a juvenile (Juvenile Wetmorella nigropinnata have two white bars between the yellow bars). The other thing is that ‘darker’ specimen looks to be under more shade than the ‘lighter’ specimen.

6 Possums in a 4’ tank will likely go downhill. I have tried 3 Pink Streaks in my 3’x16”x1’ tank and albeit that’s abnormal dimensions and you’re talking about a 4’x2’x18” tank, yes that added 1’ and extra few inches in width will help, I still recommend you stick to a trio if not a pair. 6 Possums will not have the real estate to cohabitate in a 4’ tank and I personally think you should have 1-2’ per fish. 2’ per fish will leave you with 2 possums that will likely thrive however 1’ per fish will leave you with 4 possums that may whittle eachother down to 2.
So even with that theory, my advice sticks. You shouldn’t go over 3 but even then, you may end up failing. As Salty has said, anyone that has successfully done this has done it in an 8’ tank.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, this theory seems amazing however one is likely more stressed than the other or one has been in the tank for longer. The ‘lighter’ one in the quoted photos above seems to be transitioning from a juvenile (Juvenile Wetmorella nigropinnata have two white bars between the yellow bars). The other thing is that ‘darker’ specimen looks to be under more shade than the ‘lighter’ specimen.

6 Possums in a 4’ tank will likely go downhill. I have tried 3 Pink Streaks in my 3’x16”x1’ tank and albeit that’s abnormal dimensions and you’re talking about a 4’x2’x18” tank, yes that added 1’ and extra few inches in width will help, I still recommend you stick to a trio if not a pair. 6 Possums will not have the real estate to cohabitate in a 4’ tank and I personally think you should have 1-2’ per fish. 2’ per fish will leave you with 2 possums that will likely thrive however 1’ per fish will leave you with 4 possums that may whittle eachother down to 2.
So even with that theory, my advice sticks. You shouldn’t go over 3 but even then, you may end up failing. As Salty has said, anyone that has successfully done this has done it in an 8’ tank.
Ok thanks, the tank I am planning is 4’x1.6’x1.6’. Earlier you said 4 could work, but 3 sounds good as in ideal time circumstances it would be two females to a male. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for pink streaked wrasse to pop up.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
So I am setting up a 29 gallon and I am just wondering if about a orange back pygmy angelfish or a cherub angelfish in it.

Feedback pls.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, the tank I am planning is 4’x1.6’x1.6’. Earlier you said 4 could work, but 3 sounds good as in ideal time circumstances it would be two females to a male. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for pink streaked wrasse to pop up.
3 is a better number IMO, 4 could work however it would be pushing the limits from what I’ve seen.
I would also wait before trying a trio, have Atleast 2 other times with possums and make sure you know their care, I would aim for 3-4 tries before getting a trio as you can get how hard or easy they are in your care. I went for a trio of pink streaks after having 2 in my personal tank and caring for countless in an LFS environment.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 is a better number IMO, 4 could work however it would be pushing the limits from what I’ve seen.
I would also wait before trying a trio, have Atleast 2 other times with possums and make sure you know their care, I would aim for 3-4 tries before getting a trio as you can get how hard or easy they are in your care. I went for a trio of pink streaks after having 2 in my personal tank and caring for countless in an LFS environment.
I won’t really have any other tries as once I’m back in Australia it will be a struggle to get them and the prices are crazy high compared to here. Should I just go really slow and start with two then after a while if all goes well three? I like to think I am pretty familiar with their care, mine only eats frozen mysis and pods but I am buying frozen bbs soon which I am sure it will devour. I also know how shy/peaceful/skittish they are and I always try to feed her separately to make sure she hopefully gets enough food.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t really have any other tries as once I’m back in Australia it will be a struggle to get them and the prices are crazy high compared to here. Should I just go really slow and start with two then after a while if all goes well three? I like to think I am pretty familiar with their care, mine only eats frozen mysis and pods but I am buying frozen bbs soon which I am sure it will devour. I also know how shy/peaceful/skittish they are and I always try to feed her separately to make sure she hopefully gets enough food.
Plus they are very easily bullied hence the peaceful aquarium design. I had a baby bicolor dottyback and she was petrified of it and was really not doing too well so I removed it asap.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would aim to introduce all of them at the same time instead of slowly as that can risk causing aggression to the newest.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repost:
Hi!
So I am setting up a 29 gallon and I am just wondering if about a orange back pygmy angelfish or a cherub angelfish in it.

Feedback pls.

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a redsea XL300 G2.
65 gallons, 36"L x 22"H x 22.6"W

Current stock:

-purple firefish
-royal gramma
-2 ocellaris clowns
-rbta
-trochus snail
-turbo snail
-Halloween hermit
-3 blue leg hermits
-skunk cleaner shrimp
-tiger pistol shrimp
-mixed corals

I have a flame hawkfish in another tank I have yet to add because I am the point where I want to add other fish and I'm not sure which would be added next or if they will even get along. Hence my post here. Unfortunately I know the chances are high the hawkfish will eat my cleaner.

I would like to add/open to suggestions:

-maybe 5 to 9 green chromis
-a type of small tang
-some type of wrasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back