Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the thought process of debating whether to upgrade my little 17 gallon aquarium to a 90x45x45 48 gallon as the aquarium itself is new optic glass rimless compared to my tank which has long peices of glass holding it together on the top and the glass is not very nice. All I would need to buy is the aquarium 120$ a better skimmer 15$ 10kg more live sand 30$ tidal Seachem 55 waterfall filter 65$. I would be using my old aquarium as a sump so that no equipment is visible in the aquarium. Around 250-300$ including other expenses.

I currently have 2 small baby clown a small yellow banded possum wrasse and a small lawnmower blenny.
I would hope to add:
baby scooter blenny
Blue spotted jawfish
Pictus blenny
How many and wich of these/how many more could I add and some suggestions.

Please keep in mind I can only buy fish found in Indonesia.
These is also a 120x50x50 80 gallon for 200$, 150x55x55 120 gallon for 525$, 180x60x60 170 gallon for 790$, 200x65x65 225 for 985$ and a 250x80x60 315 gallon for 810$. I was planning on getting the 48 gallon because I wont need to much new equipment but the 80 gallon seems even more worth it for the price?

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all,

I would for the reefing community here to consider my additions for my tank. Currently I have a Marine x 90.3. 60gal display w/ 18ish sump.

Currently the inhabitants are:
1 - Clownfish
1- Diamond Goby
1 - Long Nosed Hawkfish
1 - Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 - Red Serpent Star
1 - Pincushion Urchin

I would like to add:
1 - Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 - Hectors Goby
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Tailspot Blenny

Please note tank is 14 m/o and is mostly an LPS/Favia/Zoa tank.
Parameters:
Nitrate: 15-20
Phos: 0.08
Alk: 8.6
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 76
Mag: 1400

Please feel free to ask any questions. My main goal is to add smaller fish for a peaceful community.

ShawnS1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox Infinia 6025 (5’) Peninsula. Current residents are:
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang
2x Superstorm Clowns
Mccullochi Dottyback
Starry Blenny
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse

I’m looking to add some more color and movement. The tank is mixed with a ton of fleshy LPS, shrooms and Zoas. Just starting my SPS collection.
I’ve thought of a fox face but worried about loosing zoas. And i think im at my limit for tangs without disrupting the peace. Wishing I had added a yellow in the beginning.
The orange back is a bully with other wrasses, had to remove a pintail recently. Would love to do a leopard and a mystery, but again I don’t want any bullying. Everyone is very chill besides that.
I’m looking for bright and unique fish to add. Tank is fed 2 times a day with a frozen mixture.
what are your suggestions?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fish or invert? Then you are limited by taxonomy to hagfish as they are technically not inverts nor are they really fish but something in between. Of course you could consider things that evolved from fish not fish and that opens you up to sea snakes, turtles, cetaceans, penguins, and a few other species of marine birds and mammals. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Seriously though engineer gobies are fully reed safe but also impressive fish so that’s a great suggestion. Some snake eels are fish safe but none are safe with inverts. Cephalopods like octopi and cuttlefish are very effective hunters too. A brittle starfish is sadly the most octopi like thing that is reef safe. As for eels it is either as @Petcrazyson suggested with an engineer goby, a jawfish like the yellow headed, or if you really are open for a challenge then Garden eels.

The issue is Graden eels (and jawfish) need a lot of sand. Also garden eels need several feedings per day and often are very finicky and hard to get eating.
ok yes, octos are inverts but i meant swims around and stuff. also are there any different looking fish that are good?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all,

I would for the reefing community here to consider my additions for my tank. Currently I have a Marine x 90.3. 60gal display w/ 18ish sump.

Currently the inhabitants are:
1 - Clownfish
1- Diamond Goby
1 - Long Nosed Hawkfish
1 - Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 - Red Serpent Star
1 - Pincushion Urchin

I would like to add:
1 - Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 - Hectors Goby
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Tailspot Blenny

Please note tank is 14 m/o and is mostly an LPS/Favia/Zoa tank.
Parameters:
Nitrate: 15-20
Phos: 0.08
Alk: 8.6
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 76
Mag: 1400

Please feel free to ask any questions. My main goal is to add smaller fish for a peaceful community.
Those are all wonderful fish additions and honestly I think you can get away with adding all of them as long as you see there is enough territory. The Yellow Coris you were thinking about were you actually thinking about the H. chrysus or the leuxocanthus? The tail spot blenny is a little risk with coral as they as they get older tend to start to nip drastically at Sps especially the polyps on Millies.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox Infinia 6025 (5’) Peninsula. Current residents are:
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang
2x Superstorm Clowns
Mccullochi Dottyback
Starry Blenny
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse

I’m looking to add some more color and movement. The tank is mixed with a ton of fleshy LPS, shrooms and Zoas. Just starting my SPS collection.
I’ve thought of a fox face but worried about loosing zoas. And i think im at my limit for tangs without disrupting the peace. Wishing I had added a yellow in the beginning.
The orange back is a bully with other wrasses, had to remove a pintail recently. Would love to do a leopard and a mystery, but again I don’t want any bullying. Everyone is very chill besides that.
I’m looking for bright and unique fish to add. Tank is fed 2 times a day with a frozen mixture.
what are your suggestions?
A leopard wrasse shouldn't do any bullying. Getting a healthy eating one without a pinched stomach is 80% of the battle. Would do well in your tank most likely as long as you get a healthy one. Foxface are more like 80/20 or 90/10 reef safe. There are exceptions, but they're reef safe significantly more often than they're not reef safe, so it's all about how much risk you're willing to take on.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• E41B16F1-ADDC-4E70-8936-26E2007CDD00.jpeg
    E41B16F1-ADDC-4E70-8936-26E2007CDD00.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 5D3C79DE-DEB2-43A2-99AA-146AA3AB8AB4.jpeg
    5D3C79DE-DEB2-43A2-99AA-146AA3AB8AB4.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 05FE2389-832D-4CA4-AB60-9D64C1CA6023.jpeg
    05FE2389-832D-4CA4-AB60-9D64C1CA6023.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 15
  • CD11C4EE-88F1-447F-92EF-00ABCC13CF72.jpeg
    CD11C4EE-88F1-447F-92EF-00ABCC13CF72.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 23
  • E9860D9F-F8E6-45A3-840E-C035D1C28F86.jpeg
    E9860D9F-F8E6-45A3-840E-C035D1C28F86.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 17

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all wonderful fish additions and honestly I think you can get away with adding all of them as long as you see there is enough territory. The Yellow Coris you were thinking about were you actually thinking about the H. chrysus or the leuxocanthus? The tail spot blenny is a little risk with coral as they as they get older tend to start to nip drastically at Sps especially the polyps on Millies.
Thank you for your response and questions. To start yes, the Yellow Coris Wrasse is the H. Chrysus. And so far I have no plans of getting any sps corals. If I do itll be the ORA easy stuff that doesn't have too high of a price tag. i.e bali green, garf bonsai, etc. I am trying to keep the tank as low maintenance as possible.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed this!
These is also a 120x50x50 80 gallon for 200$, 150x55x55 120 gallon for 525$, 180x60x60 170 gallon for 790$, 200x65x65 225 for 985$ and a 250x80x60 315 gallon for 810$. I was planning on getting the 48 gallon because I wont need to much new equipment but the 80 gallon seems even more worth it for the price?
An 80 gallon would open up a ton of great fish for you! Like smaller fairy and halichoeres wrasse.
I am going through the thought process of debating whether to upgrade my little 17 gallon aquarium to a 90x45x45 48 gallon as the aquarium itself is new optic glass rimless compared to my tank which has long peices of glass holding it together on the top and the glass is not very nice. All I would need to buy is the aquarium 120$ a better skimmer 15$ 10kg more live sand 30$ tidal Seachem 55 waterfall filter 65$. I would be using my old aquarium as a sump so that no equipment is visible in the aquarium. Around 250-300$ including other expenses.

I currently have 2 small baby clown a small yellow banded possum wrasse and a small lawnmower blenny.
I would hope to add:
baby scooter blenny
Blue spotted jawfish
Pictus blenny
How many and wich of these/how many more could I add and some suggestions.

Please keep in mind I can only buy fish found in Indonesia.
The scooter blenny would benefit from a big tank with a good pod population.
The blue spotted jawfish is a eastern pacific fish and needs a colder tank then tropical fish. I don't know if any species reside in Indonesian waters but if they do they still need a deep sandbed.
Finally the lawnmower and pictus may fight but I'm not 100% on that. Blennies do not like other blennies but they are very different species.

Why not get a goby like the Stonogobiops yasha?

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed this!
An 80 gallon would open up a ton of great fish for you! Like smaller fairy and halichoeres wrasse.

The scooter blenny would benefit from a big tank with a good pod population.
The blue spotted jawfish is a eastern pacific fish and needs a colder tank then tropical fish. I don't know if any species reside in Indonesian waters but if they do they still need a deep sandbed.
Finally the lawnmower and pictus may fight but I'm not 100% on that. Blennies do not like other blennies but they are very different species.

Why not get a goby like the Stonogobiops yasha?
I was thinking in a tank that big two small blennies wouldn’t fight and I am going to have to correct myself, I am definitely not getting a blue spotted jawfish because they are 300$ compared to all my other fish that were less than 5$ including my YBPW. I would definitely get a shrimp goby pair or two and in the 80 gallon I would want to go for a pair of scooter blennies as they would have more than enough pods.
My goal for this tank is going to be a large nano tank so no fish too big because I don't like big fish and I love a big ecosystem of small fish instead of just big fish circling the tank. I am planning on upgrading at least to a 30 gallon as they are only 18$ and I could use the extra space.
So for now my list consists of what I already have
Small yellow banded possum wrasse
Small lawnmower blenny
Two very small baby clownfish
I am getting a super small scooter blenny soon
What I would plan for the 80 gallon
Another small scooter blenny for a pair
A wheeler's shrimp goby pistol shrimp pair
A yasha goby pair pistol shrimp trio
Pictus blenny
Any other ideas? Or is that full capacity?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back