Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a royal gramma, 2x clownfish, and a coral beauty. I am setting up my new reefer 250 soon and going SPS only. What fish would be good in a reefer 250 for the betterment of the reef? Thinking about getting rid of the coral beauty, adding a yellow tang. And maybe 1 or 2 more fish. Any suggestions or ideas?
That size tank is borderline big enough for the coral beauty let alone any tang. Consider a trio of azure damsels, a blue gudgeon dart fish, pair of wheeler gobies, flametail or tailspot blenny.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit I don't know much about puffers but with the puffer and the angelfish you run the risk of them hurting corals/clam. I would worry about the clam with the puffer and the coral with the angelfish. Some do great, some do not. I have a pygmy that, as far as I can tell, is a model citizen. My rabbitfish however....

Ask yourself now - do you value fish or corals more? I thought I valued fish more when I started but now I have all upgraded equipment for corals and I want corals more. So I have to rehome my rabbitfish which is not going to be easy. Adding a puffer would really limit a clean up crew. Which is helpful with reef tanks but not a necessity. I like my urchins too much though.

The blenny or tangs won't be an issue - just know the associated risks that come with them. Be able to treat them for disease, etc. They do get big and you may find yourself having to rehome if they get too large. Add the blenny first, he is gonna be a peaceful fish for sure. I would add tang last IMO. But this is also with no experience with puffers :)
Thanks for your thoughts! Probably like most reefers I’m struggling with a balance of the right fish, corals, etc. So it’s good to know about how everything interacts.

Specially looking to add a Starry Blenny into a tank with a Diamond Watchman Goby of similar size. Hopefully they will figure out how to get along. But again — open to any thoughts!

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts! Probably like most reefers I’m struggling with a balance of the right fish, corals, etc. So it’s good to know about how everything interacts.

Specially looking to add a Starry Blenny into a tank with a Diamond Watchman Goby of similar size. Hopefully they will figure out how to get along. But again — open to any thoughts!

I would think they will work fine together. Goby would stay on the bottom of the tank, blenny likes to perch on rocks in my experience. Captive bred yellow sounds like a good plan also.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel a small goby would be great! Do you have any corals? Clown gobies are bright and colorful with fun perching habits. They also stay very small which would be nice for a tank your size. The reason I ask if you have coral is they tend to nip at SPS to perch on them. At least mine used to when I had a couple. They never killed the coral but you could see a few bare spots where they nipped polyps off to sit more comfortable.

Already have a yellow clown goby, he's my favourite fish by far, a real gentleman that doesn't touch my montipora but likes to perch on it, however he spends most of his days snuggled next to my midas blenny in a big pavona coral, quite the odd couple!

If your filtration is keeping levels that your ok with then you are fine to add more. I’m concerned about the 6 line. It will grow up and realize what it is most likely.
I would consider for color and activity an azure damsel or blue dudgeon dart fish, and for the bottom a wheeler goby w a candy cane pistol shrimp

Not willing to try my luck with a damsel, heard they can be quite the ***** and I already have the 6 line to do that job. I might consider the goby thanks for the suggestion, keeping in mind the dartfish but I'm afraid he'd get bullied by the 6 lines!

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already have a yellow clown goby, he's my favourite fish by far, a real gentleman that doesn't touch my montipora but likes to perch on it, however he spends most of his days snuggled next to my midas blenny in a big pavona coral, quite the odd couple!

Not willing to try my luck with a damsel, heard they can be quite the ***** and I already have the 6 line to do that job. I might consider the goby thanks for the suggestion, keeping in mind the dartfish but I'm afraid he'd get bullied by the 6 lines!
Chrysiptera damsels are on the milder side. They claim a very small territory. I have 3 azures and they have yet to bother anyone in almost 2 years. Don’t believe all you hear about damsels, they are all not the same and if you do your homework you will be rewarded with color and activity. Having a 6 line established make most anything tough to add.

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for guidance if the following would work with the fish I have in a 150g. I currently have the following:
1 clown, 1 firefish, 1 sunburst Anthias, 1 Bartlet, 1 blue Flasher Wrasse, 1 yellow Flasher, 1 pintail, 1 orange back, 1 flame wrasse, 1 Lineatus wrasse, 1 copperband butterfly

I’m looking to possibly all of the following:
labouts wrasse, royal gramma, flame angel, coral beauty, 2 yellow tangs, 1 purple tang, yellow eye Kole tang, powder blue, regal Angelfish, magestic angelfish

I understand it’s quite the list, if to much what would you remove? Also I’m considering upgrading to a 225g next year, 72Lx30Wx24H, would they all fit then?

Thank you in advance!

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I started out with a 25 g cube for about a year with the stocking list of two designer clowns, a tsb, and a yellow watchman goby as well as two sexy shrimp

That tank cracked and sadly i could not afford more than the 13.5 fluval.

Ive had the fish in the new tank for about 4 months so far with no problems, the goby sometimes will be allitle mean to the blenny but nothing physical.

The blenny swims around wih my clowns all day and is hosting a hammer coral and has his cave below it.

The goby has a cave under all the sand.

WIll there eventually be problems with this stocking in this small of a tank? I havent noticed anything sofar and everyone seems to get along.

I plan on getting a 25 gallon again in about a year

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I started out with a 25 g cube for about a year with the stocking list of two designer clowns, a tsb, and a yellow watchman goby as well as two sexy shrimp

Ive had the fish in the new tank for about 4 months so far with no problems, the goby sometimes will be allitle mean to the blenny but nothing physical.

The blenny swims around wih my clowns all day and is hosting a hammer coral and has his cave below it.

WIll there eventually be problems with this stocking in this small of a tank? I havent noticed anything sofar and everyone seems to get along.

I think it'll be fine just keep an eye on things and keep up with water changes if nutrients get too high.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

25 gallons was an OK size for that mix. Sorry about what happened. That’s very cramped for 2 clowns let alone 1. Given your situation I would say monitor closely and be sure the goby has a place to hide.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for guidance if the following would work with the fish I have in a 150g. I currently have the following:
1 clown, 1 firefish, 1 sunburst Anthias, 1 Bartlet, 1 blue Flasher Wrasse, 1 yellow Flasher, 1 pintail, 1 orange back, 1 flame wrasse, 1 Lineatus wrasse, 1 copperband butterfly

labouts wrasse, royal gramma, flame angel, coral beauty, 2 yellow tangs, 1 purple tang, yellow eye Kole tang, powder blue, regal Angelfish, magestic angelfish

I understand it’s quite the list, if to much what would you remove? Also I’m considering upgrading to a 225g next year, 72Lx30Wx24H, would they all fit then?

Thank you in advance!
Flame angel and coral beauty are fine if added at the same time. May or may not be an issue depending on the individual. Consider 3 Pygmy angels to disperse aggression. The labouts May be an issue with your other fairy wrasse. As far as the tangs, 3 zebrasoma is a potential disaster. Especially if you want a powder blue as well. The kole is not an issue although the others may harass it. I have only kept individual tangs so I’m not an expert. Let’s ask those who know! @4FordFamily @HotRocks

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone like to feed their clowns? Do you start with whatever the supplier was feeding or just move straight to what you want to feel them?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone like to feed their clowns? Do you start with whatever the supplier was feeding or just move straight to what you want to feel them?
Do you have any other fish? If so, feed what you feed them. If not, mix it up with variety. Do you have easy access to frozen foods like mysis?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed primarily Hikari Marine S pellets during the week and Hikari frozen Omega Enriched Brine Shrimp on weekends. I’ll probably add a third option soon to add more variety.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed primarily Hikari Marine S pellets during the week and Hikari frozen Omega Enriched Brine Shrimp on weekends. I’ll probably add a third option soon to add more variety.
They will most likely take to all of it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you in advance!
I'd advise against any acanthrus tang other than perhaps a chocolate tang or convict tang in fewer than 6 feet. A Labouti may well be aggressive to the other wrasse. Mine played fine with my many wrasse in my wrasse tank, but of course there's no guarantee. Regarding the two centropyge angels, I'd say three is a better bet, of different species, added concurrently. I've kept flame and coral beauty together before. For the zebrasoma tangs, I'd avoid conspecifics except for large numbers. Two yellow tangs are more likely to fixate and kill each other, wheras a scopas, purple, and yellow would be more likely to live in harmony. That said, there's never a guarantee but mixing zebrasoma I would say 3+ is the best odds. Avoid sailfin, as they'll quickly outgrow a 5 foot tank. Regal and Magestic angelfish may be suitable, but they'd probably prefer more space. They're smaller angelfish so you could push the limits perhaps.

I stock my tanks very heavily, but for your stocklist I'd suggest upgrading. Go big or go home, right? :D

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise against any acanthrus tang other than perhaps a chocolate tang or convict tang in fewer than 6 feet. A Labouti may well be aggressive to the other wrasse. Mine played fine with my many wrasse in my wrasse tank, but of course there's no guarantee. Regarding the two centropyge angels, I'd say three is a better bet, of different species, added concurrently. I've kept flame and coral beauty together before. For the zebrasoma tangs, I'd avoid conspecifics except for large numbers. Two yellow tangs are more likely to fixate and kill each other, wheras a scopas, purple, and yellow would be more likely to live in harmony. That said, there's never a guarantee but mixing zebrasoma I would say 3+ is the best odds. Avoid sailfin, as they'll quickly outgrow a 5 foot tank. Regal and Magestic angelfish may be suitable, but they'd probably prefer more space. They're smaller angelfish so you could push the limits perhaps.

I stock my tanks very heavily, but for your stocklist I'd suggest upgrading. Go big or go home, right? :D
Thank you for your help on this. I will take out the powder, labouti, and one of the yellow tang out of the list. With the tangs, if i did 1 purple and 1 yellow both juveniles added at the same time, would that work?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help on this. I will take out the powder, labouti, and one of the yellow tang out of the list. With the tangs, if i did 1 purple and 1 yellow both juveniles added at the same time, would that work?
It may, three zebrasoma is better, however. But I’d say those two are better than two conspecifics and a purple. You’re limited to scopas, black, or maybe gem if budget isn’t an object but it probably is. I love my gem tang but what an expensive fish! Sometimes I ask myself “why”. :)

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other fish? If so, feed what you feed them. If not, mix it up with variety. Do you have easy access to frozen foods like mysis?
I have a pair of clowns being delivered Saturday from live aquaria. First marine fish ever. I have a LFS near me that im going to check out tomorrow. Im not past ordering stuff online. But I was wondering what everyones faviorites were to get them eating and most rounded diets.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns being delivered Saturday from live aquaria. First marine fish ever. I have a LFS near me that im going to check out tomorrow. Im not past ordering stuff online. But I was wondering what everyones faviorites were to get them eating and most rounded diets.
Live aquaria lists what they feed the different fish. Mysis and pellets are fed to most all fish they have. I would start with that. Make sure the pellets are the right size for your fish.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back