Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi a;lksdjf. I believe you should be fine with this stocking list. Just watch the bioload and your nutrients in the tank. Also do not add them all at once.

ejl2529

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5 gallon tank, no live stock in it yet. I am planning on having various soft corals and specifically various types of euphyllia (hammer, torch, frogspawn..) in the tank. Would it be okay having a coral beauty angel fish in the tank? Most likely also have some clownfish, a yellow watchmen goby, and maybe some chromis.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5 gallon tank, no live stock in it yet. I am planning on having various soft corals and specifically various types of euphyllia (hammer, torch, frogspawn..) in the tank. Would it be okay having a coral beauty angel fish in the tank? Most likely also have some clownfish, a yellow watchmen goby, and maybe some chromis.
dwarf angels are always a risk with corals. from what i hear, it's a 50/50 split. also a coral beauty will get too big for your tank. if you want to try an angel, i recommend a pygmy cherub angel, pygmy yellow tail, or a flameback angel. they stay smaller.

edit: angels are usually a risk for LPS such as euphylia. it's a much better bet with softies

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 40 gallon breeder but I'm upgrading to a 65 gallon or 120 gallon soon. I have a yellow watchman Gobie that I love but was considering a bare bottom tank. Can I keep my Yellow Watchman if I go bare bottom?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 40 gallon breeder but I'm upgrading to a 65 gallon or 120 gallon soon. I have a yellow watchman Gobie that I love but was considering a bare bottom tank. Can I keep my Yellow Watchman if I go bare bottom?

The best route here is to stack some rock in a corner and pour either crushed up dry rock or a handful of course media like crushed coral over the top of it. If you set it up right, the tank’s flow will continually push the course substrate back into that corner and your goby will have something to tunnel into.

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best route here is to stack some rock in a corner and pour either crushed up dry rock or a handful of course media like crushed coral over the top of it. If you set it up right, the tank’s flow will continually push the course substrate back into that corner and your goby will have something to tunnel into.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brainstorming!! (I always LOVED when my teachers would say that in school lol)

My tank(37g) is still empty aside from some adorable pods and a handful of cerith snails. Possible future occupants of the tank are a da Vinci clownfish and maybe a mandarin to help with my exploding pod population. The last addition will be my precious Sushi, a six-line wrasse.

I would very much like to add a strawberry crab or two, but I can't help but feel like they may be opportunistic if they came upon a sleeping wrasse in their goo bubble. I know the bubble is supposed to mask their scent, but I worry that it may not be enough if the crab is dedicated enough to exploring and tidying.

I will be bummed if it's unwise, but I accept that not all tankmates will be compatible. Even if it makes me pout. ;Happy

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line is the scourge of the aquarium world. Anything you put with it, will likely end up dead. Many, many threads on how much of an ***** a six line is.

If your comfortable with their aggression, then by all means go for it. Certainly a beautiful fish, but its beauty does not outweigh its aggressiveness.

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sushi has always been more on the shy side, to be honest.

I will absolutely keep the possibility of aggression cropping up in mind and shall have a backup plan if he ends up being a bully. ;Cat

I am worried about him being gobbled up by the strawberry crab while he's sleeping.

Sorry again if my questions are dumb, I'm still learning. <3

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strawberry crabs are a lot like mithrax(like an emerald) crabs where they have blunt, rounded pinchers as opposed to pointy and sharp like a gorilla. Should be 100% reef safe.

Although any crab can be opportunistic, I would be willing to bet your six line is safe with it.

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that. I shall proceed when the time comes with great caution. Thank you very much for being patient with me. :)

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brainstorming!! (I always LOVED when my teachers would say that in school lol)

My tank(37g) is still empty aside from some adorable pods and a handful of cerith snails. Possible future occupants of the tank are a da Vinci clownfish and maybe a mandarin to help with my exploding pod population. The last addition will be my precious Sushi, a six-line wrasse.

I would very much like to add a strawberry crab or two, but I can't help but feel like they may be opportunistic if they came upon a sleeping wrasse in their goo bubble. I know the bubble is supposed to mask their scent, but I worry that it may not be enough if the crab is dedicated enough to exploring and tidying.

I will be bummed if it's unwise, but I accept that not all tankmates will be compatible. Even if it makes me pout. ;Happy
a mandarin probably wouldn't be the best option because they eat thousands of pods a day and you would need to constantly reseed your aquarium with them, unless you have a giant refugium where they can reproduce and it would be competing with your six line for them. some great fish for that size of tank are bicolor and tailspot blennies, dottybacks, and firefish. a combination of semi aggressive fish like clowns, dottyback, and 6 line would make for a high energy active tank that would be fun to watch. i would introduce them all close to the same time though so that they don't get too territorial and immediately jump on each other before they can get established

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a yellow tang ,hippo tang and powder blue tang get along? i want to add a powder blue tang right now i have 2x tomato clownfish 1x carberry anthias 1x yellow tang 1x spot rabbitfish 1x coral beauty 1x hippo tang and 2x square anthias and 1 swallowtail angel everyone gets along so well no fights at all but im afraid adding a pbt would disrupt my peaceful tank lol

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon with a peppermint shrimp, a skunk shrimp, 3 hermits, 5 snails, and a black ray goby/pistol shrimp pair, as well as an assortment of soft corals. The shrimp and goby are super interesting but use only a very small amount of the available space at the bottom of one side of the tank.
I want to add only one of a chalk bass, yellow or blue assessor, springer damsel, coral croucher, or geometric pygmy perchlet. Would any of these work, or is there something else that would make sense and use the space that isn't being used by the goby?

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might start to get a little crowded with two fish in that size tank.
Are you being sarcastic? I'm sorry if you aren't and I'm reading it in the wrong tone. Starry and midas blennys are both known for being bullies and extremely aggressive to other blennies. I realize 310g is a large tank, but I'm asking to make sure it's big enough for both of them that they won't fight. Because there's absolutely no way they can be combined in a smaller tank like a 75g.

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you being sarcastic? I'm sorry if you aren't and I'm reading it in the wrong tone. Starry and midas blennys are both known for being bullies and extremely aggressive to other blennies. I realize 310g is a large tank, but I'm asking to make sure it's big enough for both of them that they won't fight. Because there's absolutely no way they can be combined in a smaller tank like a 75g.
Sorry I was being sarcastic. You should be fine! I have had both in a 180 just fine.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any damsels or other kind that school and can fit into Red Sea Reefer 250?

For sure I want a pair of clown, a wrasse (for pest hunter), an algae grasser (not sure which one).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back