need help finding a skimmer under $200 bucks

malnurs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I have a cheap skimmer that has been fine for the last 2 years cause i dont have much bioload. and this month's budget is going for a few corals but either dec or january's budget i will be needing a new skimmer. i have a couple ones i have found that dont look bad but i really know nothing about skimmers lol. any advice is welcome
bubble magus for $155
Octopus internal only or recirculating $175-189
vertex skimmer $190
nautilus TE Turbo $180

if yall have any other suggestions let me know as well. thanks guys.
Chris

Last edited:

brward5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Grey Seas Aquatics... they're a sponsor here. I own 1 of his original skimmers and 2 of his kalk reactors. The $250 model (compact 6) is a great skimmer and if you want to go with a cone skimmer, they are super economical as well - I believe under $400 after you add a pump.
Grey Seas Aquatics

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malnurs,

I dont know much about the ones you named off but i think Tritons Garden uses the bubble magus. If that is the one they use it looks like a good skimmer... i have a ASM G3 w/th the sedra pump they are around 300 bucks new but i have seen them one e-bay for 200.

Paul

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on ebay all they have ASM for around 200 was a G2. I looked up those Bubble Magus and i'm sure those are the ones Tritons uses and they look good in person they seem to work good to. You might want to hit them up and see if they can get a deal on one for you.

Paul

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,

Your best bet would be to post this question on Mojo's thread in Equipment. I talked about my size needs and budget in one of his threads and he made a great suggestion and then one of the others in the discussion mentioned that there was a demo of the skimmer he recommended at a significant discount. When it comes to skimmers, Mojo is the man!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back