Need help id and treatment plan.

kclee6337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank and has been set up for 3 months now. It is a red sea 625xxl

This problem started out looking like dino or diatoms. More brown in color with tentacle like balls of gas. I put an mp40 in the tank and the balls of air went away but the color turned more red and has quickly gotten out of hand.

The more I try to clean it the worse it gets. It doesn't go away when the lights are off. Any time I do a water change the problem seems to get worse. I have a 6 stage rodi and am using IO reef crystals all parameters appear to be where they should be.

What is it and how do I make it go away or at least successfully mitigate the problem?

20220223_121616.jpg 20220223_121737.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank and has been set up for 3 months now. It is a red sea 625xxl

This problem started out looking like dino or diatoms. More brown in color with tentacle like balls of gas. I put an mp40 in the tank and the balls of air went away but the color turned more red and has quickly gotten out of hand.

The more I try to clean it the worse it gets. It doesn't go away when the lights are off. Any time I do a water change the problem seems to get worse. I have a 6 stage rodi and am using IO reef crystals all parameters appear to be where they should be.

What is it and how do I make it go away or at least successfully mitigate the problem?

20220223_121616.jpg 20220223_121737.jpg
This is cyano bacteria and common with young tanks, and often emerges from higher level phosphate and/or nitrate. Cyano also loves light
To combat- first verify po4 and no3 then siphon this stuff up. Turn off at leads white lights or all lights for 3-5 days.
Clean filters and then 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily for 5 days and add 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons at night for 7 days
Clean filters and empty skimmer cup daily during this time
Do not add any NoPox at this time also
You will see improvements daily
At end of this period, add a pouch of chemipure blue for control of phosphate and nitrate

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back