Salinity: 1.026
Ca: 480
Alk: 8.9
Mg: 1500
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
(Phosphate test kit ordered)

So I've had this algae start to spread over the past 2 weeks. Initially I tried agitating the sand but it returns within the next day, I siphoned out the top layer of sand and did a 1/4 water change. Within 2 days the sand has returned to this rust color. My conch and hermit seem to eat it as they leave a white sand trail behind them. When the lights ramp on the sand is white but as time progresses it turns brown.

Current thoughts are my refugium might be the cause, more specific my chaeto light, as the chaeto has shrunk recently and my timer is a home automation piece that needed a firmware update.

Other thoughts are I recently removed some of my CUC (2 conch) and I'm down to 2 hermit crabs. Which I think them and my conch are the only things that really help with the sand.

Current CUC:
Blue Tuxedo Urchin (completely cleaned my main piece of LR)
2 Hermit Crabs
1 Tongan Nassarius
1 Conch
5 Astrea Snails
3 Zebra Turbo Snails

I'm assuming its a type of Cyanobacteria, so I just ordered MicroBacter7 in hopes of giving it some competition. I watched BRS's video so just going through the motions with that. Not planning on going with the chemical way because I keep reading that it'll come back in force. Just looking for any insight and what has worked for anyone else. Thanks in advance!

Algae Sand.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria is generally red in color. This looks to be brown and in that case diatom in nature. Silicates are the general cause to diatom algae. What type of water are you using to make your saltwater and make up water?

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI, with a 4 stage filter. I forgot to add that to my thoughts too, I was only using the 3 stage aspect of it. I just bought a TDI tester and added the 4th stage. Should I just continue water changes and hope the diatoms deplete the silicate they eat? Current reading off of my water today was 3.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My waters TDS starts at 350 and I always keep in a 0. I also use a silicate DI stage to keep diatoms at bay.

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh, so today I go check the tank and there is a clear path of both my conch and hermit crab and it doesnt seem to be growing back. Thanks for your input, I think being on quarantine was making me focus on it and not let it take it's course.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love strombus snails for sand cleaning. They work pretty hard and if they stay away, I know it's something I need to vacuum.
BTW I see a color mix of red (cyano) and brown (diatom/dino).Or maybe the light is messing with my eyes.

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a month and the sand is back to its normal color, it just took time. Thanks for everyones advice! I also added some more clean up crew members so that may have helped also. For now everything looks good, just removing some other algae growths now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back