Need help identifying and getting rid of growth

Nik Pagano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, for about maybe two weeks I’ve had thus brown stringy seemingly slimy like substance completely covering my tank. And I’ve tried everything just short of completely draining and bleaching everything. I have done a black out for about 2 day and nights. H2O2 dosing and soaking rocks and scrubbing H2O2 All my levels seem normal and stable with the exception of maybe nitrate which may be too low, also I’ve switch to solely using RODI water sourced from my LFS I’m not sure if it’s Dino or Cyano but it seems to be blown away with little resistance it also seems to be completely eradicated at night I’ve read that either the former or later or both go away with time and W/C but mine has been so for weeks I’ve also read that they don’t endanger fish just look unpleasant but this seems to cover a lot of my smaller zoa/poly frags and they now only seem to have 1 out of their many heads open insight would be greatly appreciated
F7D7538B-5DDB-4ADE-B9B3-6A715B7675F5.jpeg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some type of Cyanobacteria. I’d say lots of water changes and way more flow. You may want to run some carbon too.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks like Dino. You can positive ID with microscope . I have had great success with fauna marin Dino X with as little as 1 dose.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back