Need Help Identifying Possible Disease

preyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently bought these 2 clowns and one seems to have a lesion on its head. I was just about to dose Copper into the qt but noticed this and was wondering if y’all can help me identify it and tell me how to treat it. Thanks!

AFDC59FA-AF6F-44CA-81F8-6E66B4CCD3D8.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking at its head, the fish appears to be getting thin and showing what may be skin lesion.
Does the fish rub up against objects, show rapid respiration , or gasping for air at the surface occasionally?
Is it eating or showing interest in food but cant or wont try to eat it?

OP
OP
P

preyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at its head, the fish appears to be getting thin and showing what may be skin lesion.
Does the fish rub up against objects, show rapid respiration , or gasping for air at the surface occasionally?
Is it eating or showing interest in food but cant or wont try to eat it?
It doesn’t rub up on anything in the qt tank. It tends to just hang out under the pvc elbow. Breathing looks normal and I did feed them a few hours ago. It ate some but did not show as much interest in food as the other bigger clown

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is the other clown chasing or intimidating it by chance?
What foods are you feeding?

OP
OP
P

preyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t rub up on anything in the qt tank. It tends to just hang out under the pvc elbow. Breathing looks normal and I did feed them a few hours ago. It ate some but did not show as much interest in food as the other bigger clown
Here’s another angle

Attachments

• 3F0D0C13-020F-4B5C-8EAD-34F604C9DF2E.png
    3F0D0C13-020F-4B5C-8EAD-34F604C9DF2E.png
    460 KB · Views: 38

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m feeding Fish & Reef #1 by V2O. The other clown doesn’t seem to bother it at all.
Is it’s poop normal or white and stringy?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did notice a white and stringy thing floating in the water earlier. That was while I was feeding them.
Keep an eye on that. I’m trying to determine why it’s skinny and know it’s not brooklynella and leading to believe it’s internal. Usually mysis shrimp mimics white and stringy but you’re feeding a different staple. Should it be internal, Prazipro will be the treatment in addition to use of air stone as Prazipro reduces oxygen slightly

OP
OP
P

preyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on that. I’m trying to determine why it’s skinny and know it’s not brooklynella and leading to believe it’s internal. Usually mysis shrimp mimics white and stringy but you’re feeding a different staple. Should it be internal, Prazipro will be the treatment in addition to use of air stone as Prazipro reduces oxygen slightly
Appreciate it! I just put in a dose of copper, would using Prazi at the same time be okay?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently bought these 2 clowns and one seems to have a lesion on its head. I was just about to dose Copper into the qt but noticed this and was wondering if y’all can help me identify it and tell me how to treat it. Thanks!

AFDC59FA-AF6F-44CA-81F8-6E66B4CCD3D8.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, the photo isn't really clear enough to see details. Can you try taking a short video? That sometimes allows me to see some things better than in a still shot. Also, it helps to know more history about the fish, here is a link to some questions that can be answered:

Thanks,

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up today to 2 dead clownfish :( Sucks as I just got them
Sorry to hear. How long did you have them? Less than 72 hours, and they may well have been sick when you got them. We didn't even have a chance to delve into water quality issues, how is the ammonia level in the QT?

Jay

OP
OP
P

preyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. How long did you have them? Less than 72 hours, and they may well have been sick when you got them. We didn't even have a chance to delve into water quality issues, how is the ammonia level in the QT?

Jay
They had only been in there for about 24hrs. I’m using the ammonia alert badge by seachem and it says it’s at 0ppm. I was dosing seachem stability to help with water quality. I matched the store’s salinity at 1.025sg. There was quite a bit of aeration with a powerhead and hob filter so I know the oxygen levels weren’t the issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They had only been in there for about 24hrs. I’m using the ammonia alert badge by seachem and it says it’s at 0ppm. I was dosing seachem stability to help with water quality. I matched the store’s salinity at 1.025sg. There was quite a bit of aeration with a powerhead and hob filter so I know the oxygen levels weren’t the issue.
Well, I can’t say with certainty, but you seem to have coveted all the bases for things that kill fish in the first day…except there being something wrong with the fish when you got them. You might want to see what the dealer thinks went wrong.
Jay

OP
OP
P

preyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can’t say with certainty, but you seem to have coveted all the bases for things that kill fish in the first day…except there being something wrong with the fish when you got them. You might want to see what the dealer thinks went wrong.
Jay
Unfortunately, they don’t offer any guarantees on their livestock. I’ll just stay away from them in the future.

Back