Need help IDing nuisance if possible!

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 4, 2021
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
Location
Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all, ive had some red/brown spots showing up on my sand, lately its gotten a little worse and I don't really feed a whole lot. I got a test done at my lfs last week and everything was zero, (except nitrate which was like 5ppm or w.e) which can obviously be a problem. ive started to feed on a schedule, dosed chemi clean which didn't do anything and recently reupped on my clean up crew which also doesn't seem to have helped, other than weekly water changes is there anything I should do? and is there any way anyone can ID what it is??

20221202_132322.jpg
 
Usually photos with white lights on work the best for help with i.d if you can take one. Also a cheap microscope can sometimes help identify if you can get a picture with your phone through the lens. If it is a dinoflagellate, you would need I believe only 400x zoom to get a good shot.
 
Usually photos with white lights on work the best for help with i.d if you can take one. Also a cheap microscope can sometimes help identify if you can get a picture with your phone through the lens. If it is a dinoflagellate, you would need I believe only 400x zoom to get a good shot.
I bought my microscope from toyz r us lol. It was like $40 but works to i.d. Dino's and other algaes.
 
How long has your tank been running?
I started in a 25 peninsula over a year and a half ago, but in the last 4 months I upgraded to a new tank, same filter media and rock, but new sand
 
Usually photos with white lights on work the best for help with i.d if you can take one. Also a cheap microscope can sometimes help identify if you can get a picture with your phone through the lens. If it is a dinoflagellate, you would need I believe only 400x zoom to get a good shot.
definitely will upload some soon with whites on. its more of a red, or brown. almost comes across looking like filament or slime when it builds up, creeps up the glass slightly but doesn't seem to be getting on rocks or corals, and when I stir it up or siphon it'll disappear for a few hours or the night if lights go out within a few hours.
 
I bought my microscope from toyz r us lol. It was like $40 but works to i.d. Dino's and other algaes.
my lfs is convinced its not dinos as they say I would know because its so awful. how do you go about getting a sample? just scoop up some sand?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new