Need help keeping Tank Temp stable!!

CincyReefer

Happy as a Clam
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Well, the past few nights have been rough in my tank. By day the temp in my tank is about 79F, but I've now noticed that by night the temp drops to below 70F. :( I believe this to be the cause of some recent fish death in my tank because all parameters and feeding schedules have not been changed. I currently am using a 250w stealth heater which still works! That was my first concern. I just don't know what to do. There is currently a space heater in the same room as the tank which helps keep it above 70F at night, but I want to make the temp fluctuation significantly less.

Any ideas?! They are greatly needed and appreciated :)
JB

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
some questions first,
what size is your tank?
Is it an open top or covered?
Do you have a sump tank?

You heater may not be large enough for the water volume of your tank.

blkicebullys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you need another heater? I ran 3 heaters on my 90 gallon to keep temp stable.

blkicebullys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe Just one good one. I use one 300w heater on my 225gal system. The temp is 77 at night and 78 during the day.
I agree one will do the trick! But..... its best to have one as a backup just incase one fails or cant keep up.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a couple of Won Bros titanium heaters with separate controllers for several tubs I hav eplumbed togterh in a closet and it has gottent hem to temp and is holding them there. I went with 500W (will be somewhere between 8-900 gallons when I'm finished). I'll run (2)-500W'ers when I have it all in line. I have been fighting the crappy heater issues for years and finally decided to drop some coin and get enough to last me a while...

DJreefer

SPS freak
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can throw on enough other powerheads or appliances to keep your tank hot lol. I got like 5-6 powerheads, the return pump, skimmer pump. I have a heater but I don't think it ever clicks on :D

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that when I don't run my skimmer pump, I drop to 72F overnight on my SPS tank. With the skimmer pump running, it never gets below 79F.

OP
OP
CincyReefer

CincyReefer

Happy as a Clam
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah thanks for the fast replies!

I have a 55gal Tank with a 15gal sump, no tops on either, running a 250w Stealth. I moved the heater to a different location and will see how it goes!
JB

OP
OP
CincyReefer

CincyReefer

Happy as a Clam
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd give ya an update. I moved my heater to a more open area in the sump and now the tank reads 78F at night and 81F during the light hours! HOORAY!
Thanks Guys
JB

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250w heater should be plenty look at buying a controller and turn that thing all the way up. That should do it. I run my 200 with a 55 sump on a 400w heater.

sanddune600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still set my heater just above 80 and my controller at 78 to be sure that if the controller fails or I plug the heater in the wrong place no need to worrymy tank wont roast

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back