Need help setting up a pico tank :)

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to set up a pico tank and I need some help with a few decisions. The main thing for this tank is to be able to be set up and broken down within an hour as I travel back and forth from Nashville to Tuscaloosa. So i have decided a 2.5 gallon tank would be best or 3g at max. This size allows me to keep everything contained easily in a 5g bucket for transport. The tank will ONLY house zoas and some soft corals. I already have a light and liverock I will pull from one of my aquariums. Will have NO sand to keep breaking it down easy. I want to keep this as cheap as possible so I was thinking doing the 2.5gallon rimmed I can get from pet-smart for $10. I want to convert it into a AIO with some spare acrylic I have on hand and will most likely make the cavity 4in total taken into account thickness of acrylic. Ill run a cheap heater for about $10 and a $10 return pump rated at about 200gph. Should I do the AIO design or since my equipment is so minimal just throw it in the back of the tank. I am turning it peninsula style. I also want to have the ability to run carbon if need be which is why I think the AIO design may work best as I can make a custom caddy out of acrylic as well. Or do I go with a 30ish dollar tank that may have the AIO design but I would basically throw out all the other components? Will the standard pump that comes in these "kits" be enough flow for the coral I want? Im used to having my tanks ripping with flow round 12,000gph tank turnover. Any guidance on something like this is nice.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also want to keep this as low powered as possible. The apartment runs around 75 during day and 70 at night temp wise.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back