Need help to pick overflow box

Crystal.Clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Folks,
I'm setting up my 67 gallon( 48x18x18) reef tank in couple of weeks. gonna drill my tank and install overflow box. after lot of research i decide to go with modular marine overflow box.
i just not sure should i pick 1200 gph or 1600 gph?
my sump will be fiji cube ( fiji-20) you can find sump details HERE

can you please help me pick right box for my tank?

thanks in advance

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the wider box (1600gph). You will definitely not need 1600gph for your tank, but the wider the internal box, the better the surface skimming and the better the gas exchange. I recently set up a 75g and went with the Exotic Marine Systems 32"overflow. I love having virtually a coast to coast overflow and highly recommend it!

OP
OP
Crystal.Clear

Crystal.Clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. thanks
can i ask which return pump you use?
i like wider skimmer but i will have problem with attaching my light to my tank. im using 4 al primie 16HD. then i wont have any space to mont my lights.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received a custom made overflow box from Modular marine. They make a solid overflow. I ordered the 1600 for a 210 gallon tank. 55 gallon CWT sump. I’m only wanting to push around 4-5 times through the sump though. Most people these days aren’t pushing massive amounts of flow through sumps anymore. Triton method requires 10 times I believe though. Either one of those boxes would give you PLENTY of flow. Assuming your setting it up bean Animal style with a full siphon, secondary, and emergency. The 1600 also requires 1 1/2 bulkheads to be drilled. Good choice on the brand. That’s a 60mm hole or 2.36 inches. They now come with two gaskets per bulkhead also. They can customize it any way you want though. Just shoot them an email. They usually respond fairly quick. Just remember it’s not a sealed design, so you have to account for the seepage around the bulkhead fittings. That is where the removable weir inserts into the bulkhead fittings. So technically, in the event of a prolonged power outage the water will eventually drain to the bottom of the bulkhead fittings. So your sump needs to be able to handle that. Plus any back siphon from return. Plus the water already running through your sump.

OP
OP
Crystal.Clear

Crystal.Clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received a custom made overflow box from Modular marine. They make a solid overflow. I ordered the 1600 for a 210 gallon tank. 55 gallon CWT sump. I’m only wanting to push around 4-5 times through the sump though. Most people these days aren’t pushing massive amounts of flow through sumps anymore. Either one of those boxes would give you PLENTY of flow. Assuming your setting it up bean Animal style with a full siphon, secondary, and emergency. The 1600 also requires 1 1/2 bulkheads to be drilled. Good choice on the brand. That’s a 60mm hole or 2.36 inches. They now come with two gaskets per bulkhead also. They can customize it any way you want though. Just shoot them an email. They usually respond fairly quick. Just remember it’s not a sealed design, so you have to account for the seepage around the bulkhead fittings. That is where the removable weir inserts into the bulkhead fittings. So technically, in the event of a prolonged power outage the water will eventually drain to the bottom of the bulkhead fittings. So your sump needs to be able to handle that. Plus any back siphon from return. Plus the water already running through your sump.
Thanks. may i ask which Gph you recommend for my tank? i exchange few email with them today. they asked to to remind them im using rimless tank when im ordering my overflow box.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. thanks
can i ask which return pump you use?
i like wider skimmer but i will have problem with attaching my light to my tank. im using 4 al primie 16HD. then i wont have any space to mont my lights.

I am using a Jebao DCP-8000 for my return. I have had great success with them and never had one fail. I do have an extra on hand though, just in case. I am using AI Hydra 26HD in an Aquatic life Hybrid hung from brackets on the wall. Alternatively, you could use a mounting rail instead of individual mounting arms. The rail sits on the sides of the tank instead og the back glass.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. may i ask which Gph you recommend for my tank? i exchange few email with them today. they asked to to remind them im using rimless tank when im ordering my overflow box.
It’s honestly kind of personal preference. I usually shoot for 3-5 times turn over through sump per hour. And the rest is handled in the tank with powerheads/wave makers. Really depends on what kind of corals your wanting to keep. In a softie and Lps system I aim for around 30-40 times turn over in the tank. Lots of opinions on this. BRS did a good video on turn over vs coral growth rate. It’s worth checking out. I think either would be fine, but the 1600 might be a little overkill. Just my opinion!!!

OP
OP
Crystal.Clear

Crystal.Clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s honestly kind of personal preference. I usually shoot for 3-5 times turn over through sump per hour. And the rest is handled in the tank with powerheads/wave makers. Really depends on what kind of corals your wanting to keep. In a softie and Lps system I aim for around 30-40 times turn over in the tank. Lots of opinions on this. BRS did a good video on turn over vs coral growth rate. It’s worth checking out. I think either would be fine, but the 1600 might be a little overkill. Just my opinion!!!
This is what i was thinking. 1600 is little bit overkill for 67 gallon. i was thinking to order 100 and ask them to customize bulkheads drain's to 1 inch ( its originally 3/4")

OP
OP
Crystal.Clear

Crystal.Clear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Jebao DCP-8000 for my return. I have had great success with them and never had one fail. I do have an extra on hand though, just in case. I am using AI Hydra 26HD in an Aquatic life Hybrid hung from brackets on the wall. Alternatively, you could use a mounting rail instead of individual mounting arms. The rail sits on the sides of the tank instead og the back glass.
unfortunately i can do calling or wall mont. have to stay with mont arms. and thanks for sharing info about ur pump. i will take a look. just one more question: hows noise level? cause my tank is in my living room and have to go with super quite pump.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using their 800 on a 50gal, pump is a Jebao dcp 4000. I’ve got it at closer to 10x turnover.

The leaking past the bulkhead is a little annoying, I’ve found if I pull the weir out about a 1/2” it will stop the flow, so I’m considering adding some sort of spacer to “set” the distance. Agree with potential for long term power outage issues (my sump wouldn’t handle bulkhead level drop).

I had to extend the open channel so the level in the overflow box is only about 1.5” from top, otherwise I got some serious waterfall noise. Now it’s quiet until the weir teeth get dirty and cause turbulence. Rather than pull the box every time I just run a toothbrush across in/out and it clears it.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using their 800 on a 50gal, pump is a Jebao dcp 4000. I’ve got it at closer to 10x turnover.

The leaking past the bulkhead is a little annoying, I’ve found if I pull the weir out about a 1/2” it will stop the flow, so I’m considering adding some sort of spacer to “set” the distance. Agree with potential for long term power outage issues (my sump wouldn’t handle bulkhead level drop).

I had to extend the open channel so the level in the overflow box is only about 1.5” from top, otherwise I got some serious waterfall noise. Now it’s quiet until the weir teeth get dirty and cause turbulence. Rather than pull the box every time I just run a toothbrush across in/out and it clears it.
I haven’t installed mine yet. How fast does this thing leak? Is it a slow trickle? Or does it leak pretty rapidly? I was going to plumb everything in the garage and do a simulated power outage. And time it to see, so I’d have an idea. Strongly considered building a pan to accommodate the over spill from the sump. I was hoping it would take days rather than hours for that to happen.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tested it, if the weir is in the right spot it’s super slow, maybe not at all. On my tank with the weir pushed in all the way it trickles enough that I would estimate in an hour or two it would be down at bulkhead level. To date, it hasn’t been an issue, I do maintenance w/return off and had a couple power outages without overflowing.

I’m just conscious to set the weir in the sweet spot, then as long as it doesn’t get bumped the seeping isn’t a primary concern.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tested it, if the weir is in the right spot it’s super slow, maybe not at all. On my tank with the weir pushed in all the way it trickles enough that I would estimate in an hour or two it would be down at bulkhead level. To date, it hasn’t been an issue, I do maintenance w/return off and had a couple power outages without overflowing.

I’m just conscious to set the weir in the sweet spot, then as long as it doesn’t get bumped the seeping isn’t a primary concern.
All good information to know!!! I’ll have to experiment with it myself. Thanks:)

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be curious to hear your results, by the time I noticed the trickle issue, I didn’t want to disrupt the tank long enough to test.

One of these days I’ll cut a piece of pvc pipe to act as a spacer.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be curious to hear your results, by the time I noticed the trickle issue, I didn’t want to disrupt the tank long enough to test.

One of these days I’ll cut a piece of pvc pipe to act as a spacer.
I’ll have to post results when I get to that point. Tanks on order so it’ll likely be while. I’ll be testing this in the garage for sure!!! I even thought about applying a very thin layer of silicone around the inserts also. Maybe just on half of the fittings toward the weir side. That way you could get it started easily and then it would make contact with the silicone. May just wind up using a spacer like you’re talking about. Maybe a nylon washer. Or just make one out of acrylic or something.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to post results when I get to that point. Tanks on order so it’ll likely be while. I’ll be testing this in the garage for sure!!! I even thought about applying a very thin layer of silicone around the inserts also. Maybe just on half of the fittings toward the weir side. That way you could get it started easily and then it would make contact with the silicone. May just wind up using a spacer like you’re talking about. Maybe a nylon washer. Or just make one out of acrylic or something.

So, confession. I spent so much time shopping overflows I managed to forget which I bought. I have the Fiji Cube not the MM!

My comments are void... though probably both boxes have similar leakage.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, both boxes are very similar. I think the fiji cube is a quality box also. Only real difference is the cubes external box sits lower than the internal. I have since learned the height of your primary should determine the lowest water level your tank will drain to. At least that’s what MM told me in a recent email. I had figured water loss to the bottom of the bulkhead fittings. I guess this was incorrect. Here’s a picture to the lowest water level. Not my pic, but an example. Of course you’d have to use a siphon break on the primary to stop it at this point. Which then upon start up it wouldn’t become a full siphon until the hole was submerged. Fluid dynamics mess with my head. Lol!!! I sent them a pic of this and asked if this would be the lowest water level. They replied yes. So that would also be the lowest water level in the aquarium also. I’m thinking they both should equalize.
0E45A0BB-FACA-4685-BA5B-F5ADDEE823C0.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back