Need help with new LED lights

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my tank is 30" deep and I absoultly lost as to what led fixture to get. I would like to be able to keep all corals and clams. I dont know if it matters but I am going to have black sand. thank you in advance for the help but im totally lost?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank dimensions?

(from another post of his)

Due to your depth you will need a bit more LEDs than most folks. If you decide to go DIY do two Phoenix 55 kits on 18" heatsinks to get coverage.
48x24x24_2x18.jpg

The phoenix kits are the high end on quality since they have the highest quality components available on the market. There are more economical kits as well.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done a DIY led before. I would like to be able to dim for sunrise and sunset and would need some help getting started if I would go that route. What about the big named LEDs? I was going to go radions but I don't think it will penetrate enough

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a radion and I think 2 will cover your tank well. They are fully controllable and will penetrate 30 inches.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done a DIY led before. I would like to be able to dim for sunrise and sunset and would need some help getting started if I would go that route. What about the big named LEDs? I was going to go radions but I don't think it will penetrate enough

I was not too crazy about them. Twice the price and then some of our phoenix 25 kit (they are comprised of 30 leds) and imagine that I am recommending two p55 for your usage.
As long as you can handle an allen wrench and be able to tell the difference between positive and negative you can handle a phoenix kit.
[video=youtube;SYZlihz0Vm8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYZlihz0Vm8[/video]
http://reefledlights.com/how-to-diy-led/solderless-and-you/<br /><br />Lhttp://reefledlights.com/how-to-diy-led/solderless-and-you/
lots of good information here on R2R thankfully.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look good but I don't have any sort of controller and I would like to be able to Dim them ?

you can do manual dimming with those drivers and a potentiometer soldered onto them and then use timers to turn them on and off. You can solder the potentiometer or have the technician do it for you. Then when you get a controller like an apex you cut off the potentimoeter and connect the wires to the apex and you are good to go.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so your saying that I need two 55 kits and that would cover my whole tank ? I went on the web site and was confused on all the optional stuff. I have no idea what I would need

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back