NEED HELP WITH OVERFLOW ASAP

Sagess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I need some help setting up a HOB overflow. I have a few pictures showing what I have. Drilling is out of the picture btw. I can't get the current overflow working. If anyone knows how to get what I currently have to start a suction process that would be awesome. Otherwise, I am looking at a HOB overflow box, however, my tank has a two-inch euro brace on the top/ splash guard. The issue is all of the hob overflow boxes fit lips of 1 1/2 or so I am finding. is there one that would work for me? Would I have to cut and extend the overflow box? Please I need help asap. I tested my current system and it should work, but, I can't seem to get it primed without spilling water all over the place.

IMG_5267.jpg IMG_5268.jpg

renzema

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be tough to keep the siphon on. aqualifter pump may help but then it would be constantly pulling to much and surging.

Why not something like this.

only bad part would be drilling and needing to empty the tank.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really need to see the whole thing to help more. What instructions or video did you follow?

I used this one for years with no issues

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to have to get a custom one which I am fine with as long as it works and is fairly worry-free.
Any siphon style HOB that utilizes gravity will be fairly worry free. As long as you dont have a real wave maker sloshing back and forth.
Mines been up and running for years without a flood. Multiple power outages and it keeps on chuggin.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I watch and I tried to prime but it was being difficult plus water seems to come out and reconnecting to the drain just doesn't work plus it wouldn't be glued at that point
Sounds like a flood waiting to happen.
The moment you lose siphon and your pump keeps pumping water from your sump into your display with nowhere for it to drain... yikes!
This can happen to any HOB overflow but with a proven design its less likely.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is what I watch and I tried to prime but it was being difficult plus water seems to come out and reconnecting to the drain just doesn't work plus it wouldn't be glued at that point
I would go with the lifereef option mentioned, they make quality stuff. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night with that diy one.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the lifereef option mentioned, they make quality stuff. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night with that diy one.
I second that Jeff makes a proven reliable overflow well worth the peace of mind , have used them for years>

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 38 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back