Need help with ro/di

dropabomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys getting ready to fire up my 120 gallon and was planning on using my previous ro/di but wondered if technologybhad advanced since my last reef tank about 4-5 years ago? My wonder is back when I would ‘brew’ new water the ro/di had so much waste water it seemed crazy. Have there been any advancements or new systems that are more Efficient and wastes less water? I have a 3-stage with DI on the end but not against getting a new one if it saves me in the water. Does a 4,5 or more stages make them more efficient? Just looking to keep my water bill in check and not waste if I don’t have to? Any help or tips would be appreciated thank you

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys getting ready to fire up my 120 gallon and was planning on using my previous ro/di but wondered if technologybhad advanced since my last reef tank about 4-5 years ago? My wonder is back when I would ‘brew’ new water the ro/di had so much waste water it seemed crazy. Have there been any advancements or new systems that are more Efficient and wastes less water? I have a 3-stage with DI on the end but not against getting a new one if it saves me in the water. Does a 4,5 or more stages make them more efficient? Just looking to keep my water bill in check and not waste if I don’t have to? Any help or tips would be appreciated thank you
BRS carries a water saver kit that runs the waste water into another membrane and is supposed to cut the amount of waste water and produce a higher volume of water a little bit faster. The more stages in a RO unit doesn't mean it will be more efficient per say, just means that it could remove more from the water producing cleaner water. Depending on your tap water starting point, you may need more stages to produce clean water.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, as stated, you can run the waste output from you membrane into a second membrane to minimize waste water and drive higher output. BRS sells them, but there are other, high quality units available for less money elsewhere. My advice would be to shop around, and maybe look at sources that don't cater to aquarists. You'll tend to leave more money in your wallet for livestock.

OP
OP
D

dropabomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Can you provide names or links to the to/do systems your alluding to?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just add this to your existing system to save water. I don't know what gallon per day you're running, just match that.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Can you provide names or links to the to/do systems your alluding to?
Just get another membrane and piggy back it. I do this on mine and it does reduce spent waste water.
The reason is it takes 1/2 the time to make the same amount of water.
You can get the kit from BRS.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back