Need Help! With what fish to add to New 80 Gallon Saltwater Tank

CrazyCoolFishGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, hope you all are having a fantastic day! I have been doing research for the past few months on what type of fish and how many fish I could put into my new 80 gallon saltwater tank and wanted to hear any feedback and any recommendations. Overall Goals for tank, want to have Corals, so fish need to be reef friendly and would like to keep the overall temperament of fish to peaceful. I have listed what ones I have on my list to add so far below. Also, if anyone has a reccomend for some Angel fish that would meet the requirements, please send my way! Or please send me some fish that you recommend! Much appreciated for all the help

- Sandshifting goby Diamond Watchman
- Cleaner Shrimp
- (4) clownfish
- firefish
- Yellow Clown Goby
- Scissortail Goby
- Zebra Goby
- lytail anythis
- Damsel
- Midas blenny
- sometype of Angel Fish

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aim for a pair (2) of clownfish as they'll probably end up fighting with more than two. Sapphire devil or azure are great damsels. You'll want a dwarf angel, just keep in-mind that they can go after certain types of corals.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, hope you all are having a fantastic day! I have been doing research for the past few months on what type of fish and how many fish I could put into my new 80 gallon saltwater tank and wanted to hear any feedback and any recommendations. Overall Goals for tank, want to have Corals, so fish need to be reef friendly and would like to keep the overall temperament of fish to peaceful. I have listed what ones I have on my list to add so far below. Also, if anyone has a reccomend for some Angel fish that would meet the requirements, please send my way! Or please send me some fish that you recommend! Much appreciated for all the help

- Sandshifting goby Diamond Watchman
- Cleaner Shrimp
- (4) clownfish
- firefish
- Yellow Clown Goby
- Scissortail Goby
- Zebra Goby
- lytail anythis
- Damsel
- Midas blenny
- sometype of Angel Fish
What are the dimensions of the 80?

its hard to give ideas for angels without knowing dimensions.

Also how deep is the sandbed? This will help to know if your tank is suitable for a Diamond Goby.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider some algae eating fish. For that size tank I believe One Spot Foxface and Tomini Tang work. Have you also considered getting some wrasses for pest control?

210_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a tang of the zebrasoma genus. Or a kole or Tomini tang. Stick with a small to medium sized tang though to give it room in the 80. Angelfish are going to pick at things unless you go with a swallowtail angel or maybe a Pygmy Angel. I have a Flame angel and although Ive never seen it pick at any corals I am pretty sure it is because the polyp extension on a couple of sps corals have not been as great as it was before. No damage but polyp extension is not as good as it could be. If you plan on keeping clams Angels are almost certainly a no.

A group of Dispar Anthias would be good too not as colorful as the lyretail but less aggressive among one another and they seem to stay together a bit more than lyretails

OP
OP
C

CrazyCoolFishGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the 80?

its hard to give ideas for angels without knowing dimensions.

Also how deep is the sandbed? This will help to know if your tank is suitable for a Diamond Goby.
Thank you so much for your reply, you rock!

No worries at all, I ended up purchasing the WaterBox 110.4 to be exact and the Dimensions are (LxWxH): 1200 x 500 x 550mm (47.2" x 19.7" x 21.7"). Please lmk your reccomendations for the Angel fish.

The sand bed is about 1.5" to 2" deep with Bahamma Ollite Sand.

OP
OP
C

CrazyCoolFishGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aim for a pair (2) of clownfish as they'll probably end up fighting with more than two. Sapphire devil or azure are great damsels. You'll want a dwarf angel, just keep in-mind that they can go after certain types of corals.
Thank you so much for the advice, you rock! Will definitely go with 2 clowns that would make a great pair! What type of Dwarf angels would you recommend? Or is there another type of fish that you would recommend?

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small female bellus angel in my deep blue 80 gallon and he is doing great, doesn't bother any corals. When I got him, I had a string like sponge growing crazing all over the corals, was kinda pest and the bellus took care of it.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth Tomini tang stays small and is a great algae eater constantly picking at rocks.
I have a Tailspot Blenny that is fun to watch and it also picks at algae on rocks.
Midas blenny will probably do the same.
Male Lyretail anthias will add some nice color.
I haven't had luck with small angels. Now I avoid the ones that say (Reef safe with caution). I have a Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish that hasn't touched a coral, but she could outgrow the tank.
Good luck and

20230604_203550.gif

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the advice, you rock! Will definitely go with 2 clowns that would make a great pair! What type of Dwarf angels would you recommend? Or is there another type of fish that you would recommend?
Coral beauty or flame would probably be best. I have a coral beauty, midnight and eilbi dwarf angel. The midnight likes acans and blastos. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your reply, you rock!

No worries at all, I ended up purchasing the WaterBox 110.4 to be exact and the Dimensions are (LxWxH): 1200 x 500 x 550mm (47.2" x 19.7" x 21.7"). Please lmk your reccomendations for the Angel fish.

The sand bed is about 1.5" to 2" deep with Bahamma Ollite Sand.
You may be able to have a small species of large Angel such as a regal. These are mostly reef safe but will likely have a snack on the meaty corals like acans and trachys. However any Angel you want will likely have the same risk of what corals will be turned against - Most meaty LPS and some zoas.

The sand bed, I’d personally aim for a 3-4” bed before considering a species of sand sifting goby. And then to make sure the sand is established, dont sift through it for the first year (ideally 2) and then introduce your goby. These guys get most of their food from the sand and the frozen and pellets we feed don’t have effect unless fed 5-6x a day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back