Need Help With Wrasse Compatibility

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need your guys' help. My wife and I are planning our stocking list for our 135 gallon and want to add two more wrasses with the two that we have now. We have a yellow corris and a melanarus. From the list below which two would you think would be compatible?

Have
yellow corris
melanarus

Considering
Scotts Fairy
McCosker
Red Line
Dusky
Ruby Longfin
Carpenter
Filamented Flasher
Grey Head

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can all be options but I would skip the long fin as they are pretty aggressive. Also it’s better to add more than one wrasse when you already have established wrasse in the tank so it can spread any aggression. The melanurus might be a problem when adding. I recommend an acclimation box to allow new wrasse to check out the tank and established wrasse will get to see what’s being added. Always good to have a backup plan if it doesn’t work but you should be fine. Feeding heavy can help with little aggression while they all settle in.
You have two sand sleeping wrasse so it might be nice to add a couple fairy or flashers.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need your guys' help. My wife and I are planning our stocking list for our 135 gallon and want to add two more wrasses with the two that we have now. We have a yellow corris and a melanarus. From the list below which two would you think would be compatible?

Have
yellow corris
melanarus

Considering
Scotts Fairy
McCosker
Red Line
Dusky
Ruby Longfin
Carpenter
Filamented Flasher
Grey Head
There are a lot of beautiful wrasses. If you want long live wrasses, I recommended to avoid the flasher wrasses. Also I would avoid Scotts Fairy wrasse, as they can be aggressive. Dusty and Grey head are not the most colorful of that genus. Consider the Radiant wrasse and China (Black back) wrasses (one of the Tamarin wrasses). Both of these are on the delicate side but beautiful. Ruby Long fin should be OK, or better a Naoko fairy. All are very beautiful. Flasher wrasses, all about the same other than perhaps consider a Red Sea Eightline Flasher wrasse. This is really more similar in temperament and size of a mid-side mild, Fairy wrasse rather than a flasher wrasse.
There are so many possibility. IF you have any specific one in mind, will give better information.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have
yellow corris
melanarus

Considering
Scotts Fairy
McCosker
Red Line
Dusky
Ruby Longfin
Carpenter
Filamented Flasher
Grey Head
There are many species that go under ruby longfin, an idea of the species (photo or even scientific name will do) will help us to say if it’s a good or bad move.
The scottorum is a bad move as you risk getting a wrasse that will kill wrasse tankmates. As for the others, they should be alright, as Orion mentioned, the Dusky and Grey Heads aren’t the brightest in the genus (I personally don’t mind that, I personally love the wrasses that have dark bodies but a pop of colour in their fins).

I would add an Iridis and maybe a Leucoxanthus in the mix depending on tank size. If you can, give us dimensions and an FTS from the front and we can most likely say which will be best for your tank.

OP
OP
S

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Its a 135 tall so 4 ft long 18 inches deep and 30 tall. Plenty of hiding spaces for everyone. I always try to add in groups or use an acclimation box to spread out aggression

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Its a 135 tall so 4 ft long 18 inches deep and 30 tall. Plenty of hiding spaces for everyone. I always try to add in groups or use an acclimation box to spread out aggression
That may look big at first but that’s actually a rather small tank, I would go for the flashers and maybe 4 fairies depending on how many fish you have currently. I have 13+ in my 4’x2’x18” tank and 8 of them are wrasses.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have
yellow corris
melanarus

Considering
Scotts Fairy
McCosker
Red Line
Dusky
Ruby Longfin
Carpenter
Filamented Flasher
Grey Head
Beauty is subjective. A few others mentioned passing over the grey head due to its coloration, but I disagree my male was very colorful and got along well with my melanurus and chrysus. If you like grey heads then go for one, but they can be tough to find. I also think the red lined is a great choice.

I do agree with the others that the Scott's fairy should be avoided due to its aggressive behavior, and their beautiful colors tend to fade after a while in captivity anyway.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back