Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sketch-1564924925466.png

If you exchange the position of the 2 structures you will get a more dramatic valley between them and another advantage is that the tank will open up to the sides, creating more space around the rocks.

Don't put the valley right in the middle, put it a bit off to the side.

I would try moving one rock down from one structure to the other, so that they will look more different.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to vary the height between the 2 structures a little more.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love any hep or opinions, I really want to rescape. Mostly do to acquiring corals (somewhat of a newbie to corals-not saltwater.) I want one area to be hammers, torches & frogspawn & the other mostly mushrooms & zoas-smaller corals. Not looking to get into the hard corals.
My tank is a 30 L-14 tall, 11 inches deep-so a bit hard to get depth. The right side with the red & blue circles are not actually as I had it arranged but had to do a quickie redo when a coral fell. The blue circle shows where the watchman & shrimp live & can't put too much around them because they either get moved or covered with sand. The red circle just shows a new piece of flat rock I want to create a shelf or ledge with-just stuck in there right now.
Green circle shows cave behind Frogspawn where several fish hide.
Open to moving everything/anything.
Much thanks!

IMG_2249.jpg IMG_2243.jpg IMG_2242.jpg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great scape with a very interesting profile, it would also work as a fish only as it is now. The rocks are blending very well into each other.

It's difficult to judge how is the depth perception, but from what I can see, it also seems to make good use of different levels of depth. Congrats!

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great scape with a very interesting profile, it would also work as a fish only as it is now. The rocks are blending very well into each other.

It's difficult to judge how is the depth perception, but from what I can see, it also seems to make good use of different levels of depth. Congrats!

Thanks! Greatly appreciate you feedback! Here is a slight of axis image that may gives you a better deeps perception.

3da9bebabce541b9428010667ba62a9f.jpg

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need an outside perspective to help with improving your aquascape, just post here a few shots of your tank, and will try my best shot at providing specific advise according to your goals for the tank.

Sometimes I can just answer here, show the alterations using photoshop or make a video.

Just post here front shots with your cellphone/camera positioned at 3 different heights (sand level, centre and water level) and also a couple of angled photos, so that I can have a better understanding of your tank's layout.

IMG_20180429_094401.jpg

IMG_20180429_094451.jpg
IMG_20180429_094518.jpg

This is a subject that is surprisingly not researched by most reefers and I have given some thought and some time ago I did a similar exercise in another forum.

It's also a great way for everyone to learn from each other and see a few freshwater techniques that we can apply and also many others that are specific for reef tanks.

In the meantime, if you want some inspiration here are a few videos I made with suggestions for different tank shapes.

These pics are from when i first set the tank up... the rock formation hasn't changed ive just relocated some corals

20190717_133103.jpg 20190708_004502.jpg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics are from when i first set the tank up... the rock formation hasn't changed ive just relocated some corals

20190717_133103.jpg 20190708_004502.jpg

Have you sticked to that red and green color scheme? It would look very interesting if there were only those 2 colors and keep adding diversity through a variety of shapes and textures.

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you sticked to that red and green color scheme? It would look very interesting if there were only those 2 colors and keep adding diversity through a variety of shapes and textures.
For the most part yes, the only difference in color is the 2 clowns, one orange and one black

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works.

I would change the right part of the scape because it has a vertical and an horizontal line.

PicsArt_08-15-01.41.29.jpg

seedlessbuds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just started a 29 gallon tank and just threw all my old dry rock and few pcs of new live rock to start cycling I know it's way to much rock but any ideas would be helpful. Some of the old dry rock is epoxyed together but nothing a quick hit with the hammer wont fix. Also my overflow is on the side of the changes anything. Thanks for any help

15659095523406964328849264811777.jpg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you say, it's too much rock. I would select the ones of the same type and restart from there. Forget about color because with time, they will get very similar, but not in type.

Rocks with different sizes work better than similar sizes. Place the larger ones first.

seedlessbuds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you say, it's too much rock. I would select the ones of the same type and restart from there. Forget about color because with time, they will get very similar, but not in type.

Rocks with different sizes work better than similar sizes. Place the larger ones first.
Thanks yea I'm gonna do some work this weekend getting it a little less crowded with rock and then repost some pics to get a better idea but thanks for the help

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back