Need help with your aquascape?

Bkab_Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pretty cool stuff going on and a great read/look through. I just picked up some dry rock today and over the next couple weeks I will be working on what to do. Going into a 75g (4’w x 18” d x 21”t

Bkab_Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad I read this thread after I made mine :/

20190828_114159.jpg

From what I’ve seen, it isn’t to late to change it up.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright ive been lurking for awhile and finally i couldn't stand the creative block I've been experiencing trying to design my aquascape. I have all of the right pieces of rock i think to create something amazing just no creative juice it seems. I even have a rough idea of what i would like to achieve. As it stands now i just have a haphazard pile of rocks and coral frags.

So i should probably explain how i got here. This is my 3rd reef tank and one that i I did not t expect to own. Long story short someone had to move across the country abrubtly and wanted to see it go to a good home and the livestock taken care of. Its a deep blue 80g shallow rimless 48Lx24Wx16H. Its got an incredible amount of space and i can see its potential. My plan for the tank right now is LPS and softies with a good mix of fish. As it stands i think my vision is three islands all of different sizes and offset with valleys inbetween possibly with a random rock Forrest or something like that. Im currently running a gyre on the right side of the tank so designing for optimal flow is where my head is at. I want to incorporate a sense of depth and that's
mostly where im getting hung up. I can't seem to create anything that looks great from all angles. Unfortunately i can't seem to to put my vision into any action and that's why i am here. Sorry for the rant here are some pictures of the mess its turned into. Please help an uncreative reefer!
20190903_141225.jpg
20190903_141307.jpg
20190903_141254.jpg
20190903_141322(0).jpg

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I’m upgrading to a 48x48x26 240 gallon cube and I’m using the rocks in my existing Reefer 525”see pictures”. Is love to create some depth and also some canyons but I’m afraid my existing rock won’t be enough. I also have some more rocks in my sump.
D57FC526-8F59-4E3B-BB5B-BDD233609A3B.jpeg
D2371305-7EF0-4693-ABC6-F2E7D04EE4C5.jpeg
89B6FE42-B374-48A6-AA4C-5DAC3A399F36.jpeg
71C33337-D8AB-4222-A6D1-EB289AFC4973.jpeg
1D6D35FE-BB04-43DC-A7D1-C41E32802052.jpeg
D57FC526-8F59-4E3B-BB5B-BDD233609A3B.jpeg
D2371305-7EF0-4693-ABC6-F2E7D04EE4C5.jpeg
89B6FE42-B374-48A6-AA4C-5DAC3A399F36.jpeg
71C33337-D8AB-4222-A6D1-EB289AFC4973.jpeg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you guys think about this or what changes would you make? This is for my very first AW tank, a 120gallon 4ftx2ftx2ft (don't have it yet).

This is my rough (70%) complete aquascape,nothibg is glued/ races yet. Going to home depot to get some driveway markers and quickrete hydrolic cement. Would you guys use egg crate (light fixture) grid under the rockscape?

20190907_074716.jpg

20190907_074549.jpg

20190907_074557.jpg

20190907_074606.jpg

20190907_074629.jpg

20190907_074635.jpg

Sorry about tons of pix, tried to cover every angle. The tank will primarily be visible from the front and left/front corner; right side faces into the corner of the room 3ft away.

Thanks in advance.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about this or what changes would you make? This is for my very first AW tank, a 120gallon 4ftx2ftx2ft (don't have it yet).

This is my rough (70%) complete aquascape,nothibg is glued/ races yet. Going to home depot to get some driveway markers and quickrete hydrolic cement. Would you guys use egg crate (light fixture) grid under the rockscape?

20190907_074716.jpg

20190907_074549.jpg

20190907_074557.jpg

20190907_074606.jpg

20190907_074629.jpg

20190907_074635.jpg

Sorry about tons of pix, tried to cover every angle. The tank will primarily be visible from the front and left/front corner; right side faces into the corner of the room 3ft away.

Thanks in advance.
This is really good, as is. IMO it would definitely look best if the rocks sat on top of the sand. You did a great job creating gradually sloping ground level rocks which creates a very natural look, and a sense of depth.

I’m not crazy about the idea of using eggcrate as support. Only because it seems like it would effect the sand bed, at least would make deep cleaning the sand impossible and no doubt the detritus will add up (just a speculation, maybe totally wrong about this).

To make my scape sit on top of the sand, I am using a few different things to lift it up a bit - mostly rock rubble to create “legs”, some acrylic rods, and bits of PVC pipe.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is really good, as is. IMO it would definitely look best if the rocks sat on top of the sand. You did a great job creating gradually sloping ground level rocks which creates a very natural look, and a sense of depth.

I’m not crazy about the idea of using eggcrate as support. Only because it seems like it would effect the sand bed, at least would make deep cleaning the sand impossible and no doubt the detritus will add up (just a speculation, maybe totally wrong about this).

To make my scape sit on top of the sand, I am using a few different things to lift it up a bit - mostly rock rubble to create “legs”, some acrylic rods, and bits of PVC pipe.

Hmm, I may have to reconsider the eggcrate. My only concern is with sand sifters/shrimp digging under the rocks and making them shift. I plan on "connecting" some of the rocks, specifically the top layers and the protruding ones, with fiberglass rods and some quickrete hydrolic cement.

How do you employ pvc pipes to secure the rockscape?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I may have to reconsider the eggcrate. My only concern is with sand sifters/shrimp digging under the rocks and making them shift. I plan on "connecting" some of the rocks, specifically the top layers and the protruding ones, with fiberglass rods and some quickrete hydrolic cement.

How do you employ pvc pipes to secure the rockscape?
Had a bunch of 3/4” and 1” PVC scraps leftover, so I cut them into short pieces, all less than an inch long. Place them beneath the rocks - it essentially acts as a pedestal. The larger rock structures may need two or more to elevate and make them level.

I’ll use a combo of rock rubble, epoxy along with the PVC stands.

Oh, and zip ties. Couldn’t do it without zip ties.

Bkab_Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright ive been lurking for awhile and finally i couldn't stand the creative block I've been experiencing trying to design my aquascape. I have all of the right pieces of rock i think to create something amazing just no creative juice it seems. I even have a rough idea of what i would like to achieve. As it stands now i just have a haphazard pile of rocks and coral frags.

So i should probably explain how i got here. This is my 3rd reef tank and one that i I did not t expect to own. Long story short someone had to move across the country abrubtly and wanted to see it go to a good home and the livestock taken care of. Its a deep blue 80g shallow rimless 48Lx24Wx16H. Its got an incredible amount of space and i can see its potential. My plan for the tank right now is LPS and softies with a good mix of fish. As it stands i think my vision is three islands all of different sizes and offset with valleys inbetween possibly with a random rock Forrest or something like that. Im currently running a gyre on the right side of the tank so designing for optimal flow is where my head is at. I want to incorporate a sense of depth and that's
mostly where im getting hung up. I can't seem to create anything that looks great from all angles. Unfortunately i can't seem to to put my vision into any action and that's why i am here. Sorry for the rant here are some pictures of the mess its turned into. Please help an uncreative reefer!
20190903_141225.jpg
20190903_141307.jpg
20190903_141254.jpg
20190903_141322(0).jpg
Need that negative space.

If you want the rock forest/islands, make them a little bit bigger so that more sand is seen.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a bunch of 3/4” and 1” PVC scraps leftover, so I cut them into short pieces, all less than an inch long. Place them beneath the rocks - it essentially acts as a pedestal. The larger rock structures may need two or more to elevate and make them level.

I’ll use a combo of rock rubble, epoxy along with the PVC stands.

Oh, and zip ties. Couldn’t do it without zip ties.

Hmm, I really like the idea of the pvc standoffs, never thought of adding something like that. Kills two birds with one stone; creates stability for the rockscape and provides standoff from the glass so that thr critters can dig to their heart's content.

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all. Love what I am seeing here. I am desperate need of redoing my rock scape, it is A 75 gallon mixed reef and fish. Had to pull out a beautiful branch piece that was contaminated by vermited snails, which has left me with a not so pleasant view. I can move anything around. Consider it a renovation while they live in it I can move the coral out but not the fish if I had some fish xanex I would certainly share it with them as I rework the scape. Pics coming. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated Thank You

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190907_074716.jpg

20190907_074549.jpg

20190907_074557.jpg

20190907_074606.jpg

20190907_074629.jpg

20190907_074635.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I like what you have there. Good depth front to back and left to right. Long visual channels and good flow too.

According to some of the creatives here, your height should not exceed 1/2 the height of the tank. I made that mistake and half my coral have grown out of the water (without much success). Also inhibits flow, but your design seems to accomplish that OK.

I am assuming the cardboard reflects the tank's dimensions?

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I really like the idea of the pvc standoffs, never thought of adding something like that. Kills two birds with one stone; creates stability for the rockscape and provides standoff from the glass so that thr critters can dig to their heart's content.

I too am a big fan of acrylic pylons for the base rock. All mine sit on tripods. It is tedious work, but the stability and ease of sand blasting make it worth it for me.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all. Love what I am seeing here. I am desperate need of redoing my rock scape, it is A 75 gallon mixed reef and fish. Had to pull out a beautiful branch piece that was contaminated by vermited snails, which has left me with a not so pleasant view. I can move anything around. Consider it a renovation while they live in it I can move the coral out but not the fish if I had some fish xanex I would certainly share it with them as I rework the scape. Pics coming. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated Thank You

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Just one person's opinion, but you did ask :)

Try for at least 2, preferably 3 islands of varying height, the tallest not more than half the tank height. Negative space has a great visual effect, helps with flow, and gives fish some room to fly around the tank. And lastly, the islands give you three sides for coral placement versus the rock wall only giving you the "face" to work with.

"Un-clutter" the sandbed and fasten those corals to your islands. Also personally, I am not a fan of scallop shells; they don't look natural.

I don't know how you manage your sand, but if it is holding a lot of detritus, I would run carbon and do this work in stages. If you end up having to reduce your rock volume, I'd also suggest stuffing as much of it as you can into the sump to maintain the same level of biological filtration. Just minimize any potential shock to your system.

Good luck and have fun.

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one person's opinion, but you did ask :)

Try for at least 2, preferably 3 islands of varying height, the tallest not more than half the tank height. Negative space has a great visual effect, helps with flow, and gives fish some room to fly around the tank. And lastly, the islands give you three sides for coral placement versus the rock wall only giving you the "face" to work with.

"Un-clutter" the sandbed and fasten those corals to your islands. Also personally, I am not a fan of scallop shells; they don't look natural.

I don't know how you manage your sand, but if it is holding a lot of detritus, I would run carbon and do this work in stages. If you end up having to reduce your rock volume, I'd also suggest stuffing as much of it as you can into the sump to maintain the same level of biological filtration. Just minimize any potential shock to your system.

Good luck and have fun.
My flow is managing the sand bed with a slight shift of sand to clean it up also crabs snails and gobies to sift. I agree maybe less rock with multiple islands is great idea,excess rock to sump no doubt. Temporally put corals in QT to work easily. System shock/recovery should be at minimum. Getting my hands wet I’ll post when finished. Thank You

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like what you have there. Good depth front to back and left to right. Long visual channels and good flow too.

According to some of the creatives here, your height should not exceed 1/2 the height of the tank. I made that mistake and half my coral have grown out of the water (without much success). Also inhibits flow, but your design seems to accomplish that OK.

I am assuming the cardboard reflects the tank's dimensions?

Good call in the height. I measured the highest point on the right ~16", so I'm a bit over, I'll re-evaluate.

Yes the cardboard is 48"x24", lucked out and kept the box that my acoustic boards came in for the theater build.

Back