Need help with your aquascape?

matt199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my tank that I had to set up pretty fast.I purchase a purple tang from a guy who was tearing his tank down and he gave me a blond naso tang for free because he had no were to put it.I was like sure I’ll take it but I soon found out that he was not happy in my 55 gal tank.I wasn’t planning on setting this 180 gal up until next year but that all has changed now.What can I do about changing my aqua scape now that I’ve already added my rock?Good thing I had this dry rock cycling in a brute can but I’m still not happy with this look.

matt199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my tank that I had to set up pretty fast.I purchase a purple tang from a guy who was tearing his tank down and he gave me a blond naso tang for free because he had no were to put it.I was like sure I’ll take it but I soon found out that he was not happy in my 55 gal tank.I wasn’t planning on setting this 180 gal up until next year but that all has changed now.What can I do about changing my aqua scape now that I’ve already added my rock?Good thing I had this dry rock cycling in a brute can but I’m still not happy with this look.
7ACB1372-EF7B-4E68-820E-5C36B7453E35.jpeg

Staindsoul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any opinions on what I have so far in my new 75 gallon? Still going to add a one inch sand bed. Also attached is my current 40 gallon that will be migrating to the new tank.

20201111_110136.jpg 20201111_110811.jpg

Are you going for a miniamilistic approach without allowing anything off that structure?

If you aren't, it is very symmetrical, consider sliding it over and back to add an "island" opposite of that structure?

jacka342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some serious help. This tank is about 5 years old and has stayed relatively simple. I have had the same clown this whole time and probably 15 pounds of rock. I recently ordered 15 more pounds of dry rock. I have been doing a ton of research into corals lately, and that excitement has revitalized my love for this tank. I would love to have an aquascape I am proud of. I have tried doing it myself but I guess I don’t have the eye for it... I have one more big chunk of dry rock to add.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Jack Ravensbergen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to start youre scape not excacly in the middle but from the left or right side.
Start with a big rock and leave some space next to it with the next one.
Try to place them not in one line but for instance one against the back and one 4" left or right in front of it ... and so on.
Hope you understand what i am trying to say .
Would love to tell it to you in dutch.. :)

Last edited:

jacka342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to start youre scape not excacly in the middle but from the left or right side.
Start with a big rock and leave some space next to it with the next one.
Try to place them not in one line but for instance one against the back and one 4" left or right in front of it ... and so on.
Hope you understand what i am trying to say .
Would love to tell it to you in dutch.. :)
I’ll try to keep this in mind. I totally get what you mean! Thanks for the advice.

Jack Ravensbergen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is something like this? I know it is still too centered, it’s just really hard with the size of rocks I have and how small my tank is.

image.jpg image.jpg
I know it's not easy :) , maybe this helps a little.
The left rock more to the front and a little towards the left.
Place the rock on top then on the left and right rock.
Screenshot_20201116-063730.jpg

jacka342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's not easy :) , maybe this helps a little.
The left rock more to the front and a little towards the left.
Place the rock on top then on the left and right rock.
Screenshot_20201116-063730.jpg
This is what I have after doing that. It’s a little tricky to get that rock on top to sit right. Thanks so much for all of the help, it really means a lot!

image.jpg image.jpg

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try thickening up the right arm.

sketch-1594714061998.png

These 2 lines are parallel. I would rotate and or move the front structure a bit.

sketch-1594714340902.png

The arch is a bit flat on top. Corals can change that or you can turn it upside down.

It will look more interesting from all sides if it's not parallel to the side.

sketch-1594714292166.png

Good job!
This was great advice. I went ahead and glued a prototype. Looking for any final advice before I hit it with the mortar. I still have more rock and more glue in case I need to add pieces or remove any. However, my best pieces have been used and what's left is really dense and less interesting-looking.

Those are three separate pieces. One on the right has two base rocks. On the left is two separate chunks that can be repositioned as needed. One has two base rocks and the other in front has one.

I also have two large interesting pieces was going to add as standalone on the sand. One towards the front left of center and the other in the back right corner. The tank is viewable from from and right side. Viewable from back inside the fish room.

The rock on the right look close to the glass line in this pic but it's at least 2" off the glass. Video is here.

IMG_2290[1].JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back