Need Help

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plate coral died in a tank crash I had . Now the old skeleton had these popping up all over it . They are no where else in the tank but on this . Could it be the plate coral coming back ?
75e3e73c913a5ecfdf57fcf16bf9d379.heic

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, those are all babies of the same plate coral. If you leave them on there, you can start popping them off once they are about nickel size.

When a plate coral undergoes tremendous stress (like a tank crash) its last line of defense is to release tons of little offspring which end up attached to the skeleton once the tissue melts away. The little spores will then start to grow once parameters have returned to normal ranges again. You'll have quite the mini colony before too long!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good come back!:). I have had corals that I thought were goners after my crash. I left them in place and they came back to my amazement.

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still just shocked it is coming back . I had that coral for 4 years when the crash happens and it’s been 14 mths since the crash . It just really sucked watching everything you had in your yank die . I almost gave up and quit the hobby after that crash

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen plate and bubble corals have this behavior which is why I never remove the skeleton of these corals as they might come back. It is really amazing to see this behavior in corals. As stated above once the babies get bigger they can be popped off. I am sure if they are left in place they should eventually remove themselves from the parent skeleton.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back