Need help

BlueExorcist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 38 gallon saltwater tank...is a protein skimmer rated for 40 gallon tanks too big? It is adjustable for new setups,lightly stocked, and heavy stocked...I read somthing online saying to be careful not to get one that is too big for your aquarium or it will do more harm than good

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it only depends on how much space you have. If the skimmer is too big for the sump it is probably not a good idea but other then that it should probably be fine. Don't take my word for it tho

OP
OP
BlueExorcist

BlueExorcist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it only depends on how much space you have. If the skimmer is too big for the sump it is probably not a good idea but other then that it should probably be fine. Don't take my word for it tho
Well its a skimmer that you can put inside the tank which was what i planned on doing

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its a skimmer that you can put inside the tank which was what i planned on doing
I would check into that more. Usually skimmers are either meant to go in a sump or hang on back

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
its a Fluval Sea ps1 i got it from petco it says it can go in sump or in aquarium but im gonna do some more research on it
Most skimmers are adjustable. According to the Fluval website, yours is as well. The skimmer also says for in-tank or in-sump applications. I will say that if you keep it in the tank, remember that the water level needs to stay pretty consistent which is why most people keep them in a skimmer section in a sump. Also, putting it in the tank is going to take up space in the tank - 3"*4" and you'll have to figure out someway to keep it at the depth you need it at unless it hangs on the tank?

OP
OP
BlueExorcist

BlueExorcist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers are adjustable. According to the Fluval website, yours is as well. The skimmer also says for in-tank or in-sump applications. I will say that if you keep it in the tank, remember that the water level needs to stay pretty consistent which is why most people keep them in a skimmer section in a sump. Also, putting it in the tank is going to take up space in the tank - 3"*4" and you'll have to figure out someway to keep it at the depth you need it at unless it hangs on the tank?
It suction cups to the glass and that was helpful thank you

Back