Need Id - tile fish?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this little guy at my local LFS. I had to bring back a bonded pair of blue throat triggers because they started eating the smaller fish, even though they were both 3" or under. So after watching this guy for awhile, I decided to give him a try. It's a juvenille of some tile fish? species they said and had it labeled as a Blue Bellquio (Sp). However, I cannot find one single thing about it anywhere online. They have a biologist that works there and he also has one and told me what he knew about it. For the record it is not a cleaner wrasse, neon goby or any type of eel goby.

20140608_154000.jpg
20140608_154019.jpg

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm why would you trade your triggers for a non reef safe fish? Malacanthus latovittatus or the blue blanquillo will eat anything it can fit in its mouth. It will grow over a foot as well.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew the guy was BSing me. it wasn't a trade, I got my money back and picked this guy up. My understanding was, the biologist there has one, in a reef tank for about 5 years and is only 9". I never, ever do impulse buys, but I guess I should bring it back?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is your call but if you have any ornamental inverts or bite size fish beware. They won't harm coral on purpose but these guys will also burrow so if you don't have a rock scape designed for them it can be a problem. If you like tilefish I would recommend one from the genus Hoplolatilus not Malacanthus.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good eating once it gets big though lol. If most your fish are over 2 inches and no inverts give him a shot.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind replacing the hermits often you should be fine. When he is an adult you may have issues with the coral bandit but from the pic you have a long way to go.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blanquilos arent great at hunting things not in the water column so I wouldnt worry about your inverts.

They can also grow substantially larger than a foot, but it does take awhile.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back