Need Mixing Station Tanks

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a sweet setup! What tanks are those?

I purchased them used from another reefer who upgraded and needed bigger tanks. These are pretty darn nice and work very well for my setup!!

5B047241-9507-4A52-B17F-87F748BD4BD4.jpeg

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the norwesco 65g vertical tanks its 1 1/4" bulkhead. Read on another thread the 1 1/4 male to pipe adaptor did not fit. Can anybody comment on the plumbing needed for these tanks?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 50 gallon breeder tank got on sale at petco. They are alot easier to clean the eventual scum and precipitate than some of the storage tanks with small openings.

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get one of these on a special sale at Tractor Supply Co for $133. I would have bought 2 but they only had one in stock. I’m fuessing the top is RO and gravity fed with a ball valve. What size fitting did you use?

Thanks!
Thats a killer deal. Top is RO bottom is salt, gravity fed. I just used preinstalled bulkhead it has a 3/4 theaded so i just bought a thread/slip coupler for each bulkhead then glued everthing else. The way my salt mixes, i made a spray bar that runs inside the top of tank lengthwise that is fed by the pump from the bottom bulkhead. I just turn a valve and i can redirect to it a pvc spigot that feeds my tank during water changes. I also have a pvc spigot that feeds just RO water for top off between both tanks. A little planning and a couple of trips to the store for fittings, nothing too complicated.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a killer deal. Top is RO bottom is salt, gravity fed. I just used preinstalled bulkhead it has a 3/4 theaded so i just bought a thread/slip coupler for each bulkhead then glued everthing else. The way my salt mixes, i made a spray bar that runs inside the top of tank lengthwise that is fed by the pump from the bottom bulkhead. I just turn a valve and i can redirect to it a pvc spigot that feeds my tank during water changes. I also have a pvc spigot that feeds just RO water for top off between both tanks. A little planning and a couple of trips to the store for fittings, nothing too complicated.

That’s awesome and thanks for the details. Do the spray bar and pump perform the mixing by cycling the water? Did you just drill holes in PVC for the spray bar? What pump are you using? How far away is your tank? Do you have a shutoff on the end of the hose? Sorry for all the questions, I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks!

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, spray bar is just a capped length of pvc with many drilled holes connected by a bulkhead through the top. pump is a pan world 40 px. The pump draws water from the bottom of the tank, to the spray bar at the top. I also have a small power head I had laying around in there, don’t know if it is necessary but why not.

If you zoom in on the white rv potable water hose hanging there, I just made a j hook out of pvc with a ball valve so I can turn on/off at the tank. The j hook or candy cane allows me to just hang it there without having to hold it.

And the run length is that 50’ length of hose without any really head height. I contemplated getting a panworld 50 or 100 px it would be a little faster on the refill. But faster isn’t always better, especially if I’m not paying attention and have an overflow. Hasn’t happened with this set up but ive done it more times than I’d like to admit on my freshwater tanks.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get an inline pump from brs for like $35 to help with flow. Connects right in the hose tubing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back