Need opinions on adding a 3rd clown

bec1750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! We have a 130 gallon. We currently have a pair of clowns and they have been together for about a year now maybe a little bit more. They don’t breed or anything like that. They are not territorial at all! I won a clown fish last night. It’s small, smaller than our current female and the same breed of our current ones which is ocellaris. I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are in adding this 3rd one to our tank? Looking for advice and your experience with adding a 3rd. Thanks!!

Got2bSkUnKeD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! We have a 130 gallon. We currently have a pair of clowns and they have been together for about a year now maybe a little bit more. They don’t breed or anything like that. They are not territorial at all! I won a clown fish last night. It’s small, smaller than our current female and the same breed of our current ones which is ocellaris. I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are in adding this 3rd one to our tank? Looking for advice and your experience with adding a 3rd. Thanks!!
Everyone tells me, “no”. In the wild a pair (mostly the female) can have up to a 10 sqft territory. I’m also told that if the area is split up by up to 10 clowns, the aggression may be equally spread so that a single adolescent male may not be killed like in a threesome.
I have three in a 29gal, was a 60 til it cracked. I bought them all from the same tank at the LFS, because I didn’t want to leave the little one alone. There have been fits of aggression, but they seem pretty cordial right now.
All fish are different, and some people get lucky. Like I said, though, everyone tells me that the two will eventually kill the third.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm leery based on the things i've seen that lead to success. Harem systems where there are multiple fish to dissipate the aggression is the road to success. Adding a single fish is dicey!
at the very least i would get that fish into an acclimation box for at least a few days before i let it loose.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair starting out last fall, they were both very young. One of them died within 2 weeks. I then purchased another, about 6 months later, but was sent 2 that are both younger than my remaining clownfish. I had to put the older one in an acclimation container, but the next morning I let it out and the 3 have been great companions for the last 2 months. I've read that things may change if 2 of them become a pair, but I'll deal with that if it happens. It's been fun to watch the 3 together.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back