Need some advanced help - Acro issues

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very experienced SPS reefer here, but having some odd issues that I can’t figure out. In my SPS heavy tank, I have about 50 acro’s, and most are doing very well but recently, I’ve been having an issue where a few of them are not. They are not suffering RTN or STN, but they seem to be almost calcifying from the middle out, where they slowly lose color, then lose their polyps, and eventually die. I have a fairly advanced set up with a calcium reactor, an Alkatronic, a Trident, I dose kalk to keep ph up but my CaRx is main source, feed EvoSPS on auto dozer, do light NoPox dosing to keep nutrients in check. My alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrate, phosphate are all in check. I run monthly ICP as I also use the reef moonshiner program and there’s been no irregularities in the ICP report. There are no pests in the tank and haven’t added anything new to the tank since early this year.

Welcome any thoughts on what anyone thinks could be causing this issue with just a few of the acros, mainly tenius. The main issue right now is my JF Jolt mini colony in this pic, providing second broader shot to show how everything else looks.

Thx!

463958A8-42C1-4311-AF68-61E8B8351147.jpeg 009DC333-39EA-4B47-81F0-89E983EC3A76.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very experienced SPS reefer here, but having some odd issues that I can’t figure out. In my SPS heavy tank, I have about 50 acro’s, and most are doing very well but recently, I’ve been having an issue where a few of them are not. They are not suffering RTN or STN, but they seem to be almost calcifying from the middle out, where they slowly lose color, then lose their polyps, and eventually die. I have a fairly advanced set up with a calcium reactor, an Alkatronic, a Trident, I dose kalk to keep ph up but my CaRx is main source, feed EvoSPS on auto dozer, do light NoPox dosing to keep nutrients in check. My alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrate, phosphate are all in check. I run monthly ICP as I also use the reef moonshiner program and there’s been no irregularities in the ICP report. There are no pests in the tank and haven’t added anything new to the tank since early this year.

Welcome any thoughts on what anyone thinks could be causing this issue with just a few of the acros, mainly tenius. The main issue right now is my JF Jolt mini colony in this pic, providing second broader shot to show how everything else looks.

Thx!

463958A8-42C1-4311-AF68-61E8B8351147.jpeg 009DC333-39EA-4B47-81F0-89E983EC3A76.jpeg
Can you post a couple ICP reports?

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you post a couple ICP reports?
Here's my last two:

HTTPS://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/aca3ad6201888d7a4ba5 (Oct)
HTTPS://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/940cb39e1ddab50a1a06 (Sept)

I started dosage Flatworm Stop to try to help the corals heal (no AEFW), that's when Tin started to rise in Oct, but the issue pre-dated elevated Tin so I dont think that's the issue here

Please lmk what you think

Shadowing is interesting point, I think it actually could be part of it, since a few corals that had the issue had it on the underside and then that expanded, but on the Jolt, it's upper part of tank in pure light (Hybrid G4 Pro + T5)

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my last two:

//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/aca3ad6201888d7a4ba5 (Oct)
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/940cb39e1ddab50a1a06 (Sept)

I started dosage Flatworm Stop to try to help the corals heal (no AEFW), that's when Tin started to rise in Oct, but the issue pre-dated elevated Tin so I dont think that's the issue here

Please lmk what you think

Shadowing is interesting point, I think it actually could be part of it, since a few corals that had the issue had it on the underside and then that expanded, but on the Jolt, it's upper part of tank in pure light (Hybrid G4 Pro + T5)
Links don't work.

Tin is from pvc pipe. RHF say it's a byproduct from production of pvc.

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thx!

You are member in the moonshine group....Andre Mueller posted long article about the notorious Vibrio pathogen, the damage that he is causing to corals (especially sps) .
did you consider witch hazel treatment?

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
got the link to work in the notification, weird.
The only thing that stands out is low to me iodine. Not sure how low is bad.
Yeah, I stopped dosing iodine once I started dosing flatworm stop since I believe that can spike iodine, so I may be temporarily low but I’m doubting that’s the root cause…

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are member in the moonshine group....Andre Mueller posted long article about the notorious Vibrio pathogen, the damage that he is causing to corals (especially sps) .
did you consider witch hazel treatment?
Great callout. I did try they witchhazel a few weeks back but I wasn’t able to do more than 5-6 nights as I was heading out of town. Think that’s possibly the culprit? Maybe I’ll try that again with the full 10-11 day dose…

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great callout. I did try they witchhazel a few weeks back but I wasn’t able to do more than 5-6 nights as I was heading out of town. Think that’s possibly the culprit? Maybe I’ll try that again with the full 10-11 day dose…
It's worth trying.
Also there is Coral RX by blue life that is also effective against harmful pathogens, and Cipro antibiotic

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have CoralRX on hand, maybe I’ll dip the Jolt while I also start the witchhazel…

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful corals Brian!
Could this be a bacteria thing? The size of the colonies points to a mature tank. I hear some talk about "old tank syndrome", but no real experience personally, just throwing it out there. I am not a big fan of tests, but maybe Aquabiomics sample could help? I saw that you dose nopox, do you dose any bacteria? I am eventually going to try the PNS Probio myself, but maybe worth a shot, no pun intended ;)

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful corals Brian!
Could this be a bacteria thing? The size of the colonies points to a mature tank. I hear some talk about "old tank syndrome", but no real experience personally, just throwing it out there. I am not a big fan of tests, but maybe Aquabiomics sample could help? I saw that you dose nopox, do you dose any bacteria? I am eventually going to try the PNS Probio myself, but maybe worth a shot, no pun intended ;)
Thanks Charlie! As part of moonshiners I do dose probidio biodegest pretty regularly. I’m trying the witchhazel treatment now and have Cipro on order coming Tuesday, and am going to try that next. I’m 99% sure it’s a bacteria issue, the colonies it’s impacting are years old and mature and there’s absolutely no additions or changes to the tank lately. I’m also turning off NoPox for now and will try to manage phosphates other ways for now. Will keep you posted.

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Charlie! As part of moonshiners I do dose probidio biodegest pretty regularly. I’m trying the witchhazel treatment now and have Cipro on order coming Tuesday, and am going to try that next. I’m 99% sure it’s a bacteria issue, the colonies it’s impacting are years old and mature and there’s absolutely no additions or changes to the tank lately. I’m also turning off NoPox for now and will try to manage phosphates other ways for now. Will keep you posted.
What is the recommended dosage for Cipro ?
please update if you have any death of corals/fish/urchins ...I think that I also got attacked by the nasty Vibrio

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider sending both types of Aquabiomics tests. It definitely can be a bacterial issue but there's always a chance you have coral parasite you just haven't seen. I would pull and KCl dip affected colonies and then do a microscopic eval of whatever dies in the KCl. If it is a bacterial pathogen, my money would be on Arcobacter, given recent evidence of its role in RTN:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That’s only a small section of the tank :), it’s a jam packed 120g
So do you find yourself needing to feed your fish more with colonies that size?? Like a lot more?? I feed my 50g a lot more than suggested but I don’t have near the coral mass as you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider sending both types of Aquabiomics tests. It definitely can be a bacterial issue but there's always a chance you have coral parasite you just haven't seen. I would pull and KCl dip affected colonies and then do a microscopic eval of whatever dies in the KCl. If it is a bacterial pathogen, my money would be on Arcobacter, given recent evidence of its role in RTN:

Probably a good idea. I'm going to start on Cipro tonight and see how things go next few days, but may run those tests regardless...I'd be shocked if it's a parasite since everything was good 2-3 months ago and haven't added anything in about a year (and am pretty rigid dipper before anything goes in and QT's in my frag tank first), but I guess anything is possible!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back