Need some advice on mp40 placement/mode/power

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, can you guys give me some advice on what the ideal placement would be for my 2 mo40s? I have 2 s1 return pumps so I’m running 2k an hour through those, plus my 2 mp40s. I have one mp40 on each side pointed at each other about 3 or 4 inches under the water line. I have my mp40s set to lagoon mode on the 3rd power setting and I have the return nozzles pointed towards the middle/front of the tank. I’m aiming for soft coral/lps and maybe a few sps, but the goal is to have an LPS/ softy tank! My tank is also 180g, 6x2x2.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your gonna want a smooth side to side motion, you can create this with the alternating gyre mode. I’d drop down both the pumps down about 1-2”. But the mode part is just personal

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I have 2 MP40s set up like you but offset by about 6 inches. Also 2 returns run by 2 Cor 20s. This is in a 120 with quite a few euphyllia so they are dialed way down until sps frags grow in.

This is the right side MP40. The other one runs antisynch.
Screenshot_20210131-232138_APEX Fusion.jpg

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have a pretty good idea of what to do. pointing them roughly towards one another is a good idea to create a zone of turbulence where they meet and it's most ideal if that zone moves around.
The thing that I would personally be more concerned with is return rate which also depends greatly on setup but 2k is double what I would personally aim for on a system your size. This mostly because it is wasteful and possibly more noisy when 1k is often more effective but there are certain things that can facilitate a higher flow rate.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back