Need some help with my acro's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a Coralvue test, but this was before I read about people opinions on their tests. And my salinity is high, trying to slowly bring it down. This ICP wont be very accurate because I did a large water changes after this.

66CD5F14-02AC-49CC-ADB2-BC7ED791DA8A.jpeg

While the importance of trace elements is debated, my opinion is that 0 ppm Iodine and Strontium are probably inhibiting some of the coloration.

Do you think the aiptasia are irritating the corals? They could be stinging it where it is trying to lay down new skeleton and tissue.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have definitely seen some get stung and I kill the aipstasias that get close. Im thinking about trying some berghia nudibranchs to get rid of them. I originally got one aipstasia on a piece of live rock in 2006 but they never really spread and almost went away. A few years ago I switched tanks and they started to take over.

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have definitely seen some get stung and I kill the aipstasias that get close. Im thinking about trying some berghia nudibranchs to get rid of them. I originally got one aipstasia on a piece of live rock in 2006 but they never really spread and almost went away. A few years ago I switched tanks and they started to take over.
I have an aiptasia problem too. Just ordered some berghia nudis from BigR corals. Crossing my fingers they get rid of them!

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i’ll just leave everything alone for a couple months and it i see no change i might try amino acids again.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an awful aiptasia infestation and Berghia took care of it. Don’t expect it to happen fast. It took over two months in my tank. Also realize that when I say two months, I mean I saw little if any progress until after two months. Once I saw real evidence, it didn’t take long after that.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great luck with Peppermint Shrimp. They loved my aipasia. Totally gone now for over a year. Just know they can go for other corals too. However it might be worth it in the long run.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great luck with Peppermint Shrimp. They loved my aipasia. Totally gone now for over a year. Just know they can go for other corals too. However it might be worth it in the long run.

I've had a peppermint shrimp in the tank for about a year, in the beginning it seemed to pick at them but I havent seen it touch them in months.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a peppermint shrimp in the tank for about a year, in the beginning it seemed to pick at them but I havent seen it touch them in months.

Yeah I hear they are hit or miss. You could go get another and they might tear it up. You just never know. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks after posting this I saw Aquavitro Fuel at my lfs and i thought I would give it a try. Over the last month and a half I have noticed a slight difference in color and xmas has finally started to encrust again after being dormant for a year. The one coral that has really taken off is Bliss. The Fuel did cause a lot of cyano but I kept dosing the same amount twice a week and the cyano is starting to go away now. I also added a ReefBrite actinic strip a few days ago which is off for these pictures, but im not sure if it puts out enough par to help or not.

Since everything is starting to look a little better I plan on getting the fanciest 4 pack BattleBox Adam can put together, but that will probably not be for a couple weeks.

Does anyone know what this coral is under lemon hammer? I bought it at my lfs a few years ago and it came from ORA.

Lemon Hammer
IMG_0509.JPG

Bliss

IMG_0508.JPG

Xmas
IMG_0507.JPG

Snipers Blue

IMG_0510.JPG

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need more than one. I put 5 in my 18" nano cube. There was over a hundred aptaisia easy. There were a few then they were everywhere. Within 3 weeks no more.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need more than one. I put 5 in my 18" nano cube. There was over a hundred aptaisia easy. There were a few then they were everywhere. Within 3 weeks no more.

I actually added two more and im not sure if they're eating the aptasia or not, ill probably just get a few nudibranch if i can get my wrasse out of the tank.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I discovered something in my tank that may be causing the issues i have been having with my corals. About 10 years ago i bought a Koralia pump and have been using it ever since, but at some point the wet side magnet dissolved and i decided to replace it with a magnet from a hard drive. I thought I had the magnet sealed tight but it looks like it must have leaked over time and caused a lot of rust and corrosion . Could this be causing the poor colors in my sps, and should i do a couple big water changes?
IMG_0557.JPG

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I discovered something in my tank that may be causing the issues i have been having with my corals. About 10 years ago i bought a Koralia pump and have been using it ever since, but at some point the wet side magnet dissolved and i decided to replace it with a magnet from a hard drive. I thought I had the magnet sealed tight but it looks like it must have leaked over time and caused a lot of rust and corrosion . Could this be causing the poor colors in my sps, and should i do a couple big water changes?
IMG_0557.JPG

I would chuck that in the garbage and do some water changes for sure.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_0557.JPG

Dang! man Yeah id think that would mess with water chemistry to some degree for sure. Curious and sorry if i missed it, but had you done any icp testes in this period? interested to know if it showed any sort of metal contamination.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only icp i sent in was the one i posted in this thread which was from last summer and it does show some tin, I'm not sure if a neodymium has tin though. I'll probably send in another test and use triton this time.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run some cuprasorb in a decent flow area of the filter. This will help with the metals from the magnet. I also feel your k is low. My corals really don’t like mine below 390 or above 420.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get your hands on a par meter? BRS offers them for rent.

The reason I ask is that I have a 12" deep 36x24 waterbox frag tank and two of the newest AI Prime Reef lights running at 100% was extremely underwhelming when I tested my par.

With the lights at 8" above the surface I am getting 420 par DIRECTLY under the lights at 4" below the surface and just 2 inches over it drops to 180. At the tank bottom (remember this is just a 12" deep tank) I am getting anywhere from 80 to 120 par. My Par in the center of the tank between the two primes at 10" below water was 65 par.

AI Prime is good for a small cube tank but if youre trying to grow SPS then they fall short big time. You will see growth directly under the lights but that whole 18" radius they recommend is laughable at best. These lights are toys for nano office desk cubes and nothing more.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did get a par meter but i did add a 30” reefbrite strip, not sure how much par that adds though. and none of my corals are deeper than 6”. i might in the future upgrade to two red sea 90’s or a 24” light from reef breeders

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back