Needing advice- hippo tang

Lukall14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Just looking for some advice here for a somewhat new reefer. Recently added a hippo/blue tang to my tank(Reefer 525xl) as we were at my LFS and my fiancé wanted to add one to our tank.

I have 2 other tangs already as I was waiting for my tank to be established a bit longer before purchasing a hippo tang. 1 is a white freckle tang and the other clown tang. When purchasing with my partner I completely forgot about the size difference between the tangs( I know, rookie mistake).

Once it was added the white freckle seemed to be fine next to the hippo for a few minutes, now it’s being bullied by both the tangs. The clown looks to be trying to swipe it or peck at it.

I’ve tried the mirror trick and it’s occupying the two tangs. The white freckle is fine with the hippo now, the clown is still a bit more territorial but not trying to bite it now. Needing advice with what I should do. I now have a box to seperate, but I’m wondering if it’s even worth using. The white freckle and clown would be difficult to catch, and I’m worried if I add the hippo in there am I just going to be stressing it out unnecessarily

he is eating, but now is a bit more scared and sticking to one side of the tank, hiding under rocks. He is occasionally coming out to swim. I realise there’s probably a fair few mistakes made, but I would appreciate advice with what I should do now? Or will it fix itself once rank is established?

thank you!

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the hipp out for now or even bring him back becouse I do think it will get better over time but never will stop I would take him out and give it 30 days in a temp tank then re introduce the hipp to the tank with a acclimation box. If that is not a option I would give the hippo back and try again further down the line with a aclomation box and at night I think the other tangs will stress the hipp out to wear it stops eating or get sick from the stress (white spot) this may kill the other tangs or couse problems with finicky fish added later or already in the tank I would not risk it for one fish.

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could remove the two larger tangs for a couple weeks. I don't think removing the hippo and putting him back a month later will do you any good. And if at all possible rescape a little bit. Making sure you have plenty of caves and hiding spots for the juvinile. The problem with adding a smaller tang with larger tangs is they've already established territorial dominance. Essentially your trying to reestablish the territories within the tank. This won't happen by removing the hippo than placing him back in. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Lukall14

Lukall14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice!

I haven’t been able to catch the tangs. I’ve moved the Aquascape around & it seems like it’s made a difference. The hippo tang isn’t hiding as often and swimming much more out in the open.

The other 2 tangs will just swim next to it now, compared to when they were charging at it. Occasionally I’ll notice the hippo tang does go up to the other tangs and kind of dash around the others? But it looks like the aggression has dropped compared to yesterday. Hippo is out swimming and eating, should I still take any precautions?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    14.1 MB

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, im assuming from the video your tank is just past cycled? Or you added a bunch of dry rock? Id get 3 nori clips. Just keep them well fed. Alot of the aggression you could be seeing is because of lack food to graze. Im not going to say you should of waited until ur rock was mature, because it serves no purpose to you now, but its going to take a lot more work now to meet their needs until you get to that point. Watch your phosphates, dry rock, and or dead rock, leach phosphate and silicate. Hippo blue tangs have always, for me, been sensitive to water chemistry changes.

OP
OP
Lukall14

Lukall14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool thanks. One side has newer dry rock that wasn’t really scaped yet, the opposite end of the tank has mature/live rock where the other tangs graze. I’ll get some more clips and observe the levels as you mentioned.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great move on rearranging your aquascape. Also having “3” different shaped tangs is a recipe for success. Their aggression towards a newbie is nothing more than talking smack. As long as fins aren’t getting bit off you’re good. It could be weeks or longer but ultimately the aggressors will become board and the new fish on the block will emerge. Congrats!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back