Needing some advice on my 300 Gallon tank build

Birdie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am designing and building my 2nd custom tank stand with sump set up and I am looking for some pointers on a few different things. This is going to be a Brackish tank that will eventually be saltwater, so I am planning ahead with equipment spacing to make the transition easier as my Columbian Sharks get older. (In Freshwater 120 Gallon right now)

The pictures I have are unfinished renderings done by my Spouse until we can get a few more details ironed out.
My tank will be 96L x 26W x 28H = 300 Gallons
The stand height is 40", with the overall height being 74" and 108" total length.

Left side of the tank will be black with the holes drilled to accommodate the 65 gallon sump underneath.
The tank is going to be against a wall that has built in "windows" and will divide our home theatre from our board games room, so I will be able to access the plumbing from the end of the tank.

Here's what I have so far:
Stand design, construction method and materials list for stand, sump design (Wet/Dry)

Where I am needing some advice is:
3 Drilled Holes along the top left side - Do I use an overflow box (internal or external) or is it quieter / more effective to use strainers x 2 at a 90 degree angle to be able to manipulate water height?

I am heavily leaning towards the Fluval SP6 with 3400 GPH as my return pump, does anyone have any feedback on it or an alternative pump that is quiet?

I have read about some tanks having drains on them about 4" from the bottom, but am unsure if this would be a good choice or not.

I'm a first-time poster, long-time reader of these forums, I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and have worked in pet retail for 9+ years, but have only been keeping aquariums for 5 years. The goal is to have this tank set up to handle a reef down the road, but am only looking to set it up with brackish right off the hop.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Peninsula Stand1.jpg Peninsula Stand2.jpg

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned many ac pumps a many are just fine. I now use Current Eflux dc pumps. The are quiet powerful and going to the dropped my reef tanks temp by at least a degree. They stand by there products too. The largest is 3170 gph. My tank is 180 gallons and I can’t turn it up over half power or it will overload my two overflows drains.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back