Needs more light

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is enough light for my one anemone in my main display tank that definitely isn’t 3 years old and not suppose to be wall to wall acros.

IMG_2914.jpeg

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely be growing sps in that tank. Haha. Plenty of light.

To add, depending on your light settings, it is plenty of light. The fixtures you have are more than capable.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If thats on high mid day, its is not enough light

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If thats on high mid day, its is not enough light
I would not feel confident making that assessment based on a picture. Camera exposure could be completely messing with the image.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 4 ai32 (one is being fixed), 4 t5 bulbs, 2 xr30, 1 xr 15.

At 70%, the par is 250ish at the corners on the sand bed.

Too bad it won’t grow anything.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely be growing sps in that tank. Haha. Plenty of light.

To add, depending on your light settings, it is plenty of light. The fixtures you have are more than capable.
I hear ya. I was just being facetious because I got a set up to grow wall to wall sps and the tank just doesn’t grow much unfortunately. After years of trying I just let the anemone do its thing now.

Not sure how anyone could say there isn’t enough light haha.
IMG_2916.jpeg
IMG_1740.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ll do it…

What are your parameters?!?
Thanks for asking, i posted this being facetious more than anything, I’ve been through this conversation over the years in multiple threads. I’m not expecting to find a solution. If you would really like me to post them then I will but I didn’t want to waste your time, just a vent post.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking, i posted this being facetious more than anything, I’ve been through this conversation over the years in multiple threads. I’m not expecting to find a solution. If you would really like me to post them then I will but I didn’t want to waste your time, just a vent post.
Yeah, I hear you. But if the anemone is thriving, the fish are thriving, etc, so there’s probably a fairly simple fix in there somewhere.

Have you tried the ‘do less’ method (aka do nothing)?

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hear you. But if the anemone is thriving, the fish are thriving, etc, so there’s probably a fairly simple fix in there somewhere.

Have you tried the ‘do less’ method (aka do nothing)?
The last few months I did the give up method. I’ll try a few frags next month maybe. I just do auto water changes and glass cleaning now.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last few months I did the give up method. I’ll try a few frags next month maybe. I just do auto water changes and glass cleaning now.
If your parameters are in an acceptable range, yeah…just sit back and let the system do its thing. Try a couple easy ones, and leave everything alone.

Just out of curiosity, how long are your corals lasting after adding them?

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are in an acceptable range, yeah…just sit back and let the system do its thing. Try a couple easy ones, and leave everything alone.

Just out of curiosity, how long are your corals lasting after adding them?
It varies.

Sps rarely die within the first couple months unless they were in rough shape from shipping.

Majority start withering at about month 3 after encrusting the plug, then proceed with STN over the next 3-6 months.

The ones that do grow beyond that base out and have what I can best describe as mutated growth patterns. Picture is above showing the bubbling tissue and irregular growth.

For instance I’ve had a Bali slimmer for two years that continually go through cycles where is grows then dies back with highly irregular growth. It’s never gotten bigger than 2.5” across and 2” high.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies.

Sps rarely die within the first couple months unless they were in rough shape from shipping.

Majority start withering at about month 3 after encrusting the plug, then proceed with STN over the next 3-6 months.

The ones that do grow beyond that base out and have what I can best describe as mutated growth patterns. Picture is above showing the bubbling tissue and irregular growth.

For instance I’ve had a Bali slimmer for two years that continually go through cycles where is grows then dies back with highly irregular growth. It’s never gotten bigger than 2.5” across and 2” high.
Do you think you have enough nutrients in the tank?

Something looks just a little off in your FTS with whites on. It’s a 3 year old tank, but looks a little more like a 3 month old tank.

I bet with a few tweaks, you can turn it around pretty quickly.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back