Needs opinions on fish choosing

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve finished setting up my 55 gal tank with a Tidal 75 Hob filter this weekend, along with 200w cobalt heater kept at 78F and waiting for my 2 powerheads to come in the mail for one on each side pushing toward the middle .. now it’s the waiting game for the cycle.. but i would like to plan what fish i want And have a game plan. I’ve been researching but i would also like to hear from all of you, so what I’ve decided on are

Tailspot blenny
Pair of clowns
Coral beauty
Yellow eye kole tang
Yellow tang
flame angel
Lemon peel

I know the tangs and angels need algae sheets as food and then planned on feeding the rest frozen foods. Let me know what you think, add something else, take something out? I wanna hear it

image.jpg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the angels thing. If you’ve got a plan for rehoming/ upgrading tanks to house the tangs when they get bigger then that sounds like a pretty solid plan. Love the lemonpeel!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're going to get a lot of comments about your choice of putting two tangs in a 55 gallon...

I also happen to think most of those comments will be right. Hopefully you heed some of the advice. Back when they had the emergency forum, it was easy to link to all the cases where that advice was not heeded and things went poorly.

You might want to also watch out with the two dwarf angels. I would introduce at the same time, but aggression is always a risk. The bigger issue is that they really need mature rock to do well.

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be dubious about two tangs together, introduce least aggressive fish first, quarantine all live stock,you have a fresh new tank dont take any chances, or you will have many headaches later. good luck with everything many experienced people here to help you, tank looks great.

OP
OP
Patric1

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're going to get a lot of comments about your choice of putting two tangs in a 55 gallon...

I also happen to think most of those comments will be right. Hopefully you heed some of the advice. Back when they had the emergency forum, it was easy to link to all the cases where that advice was not heeded and things went poorly.

You might want to also watch out with the two dwarf angels. I would introduce at the same time, but aggression is always a risk. The bigger issue is that they really need mature rock to do well.
Yeah I’ve kinda noticed over the past few days that all of them have a semi-aggressive temp. May just narrow it down to one or two and put them in at the same time

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go with either a Kole or a Yellow tang for a 55. My dad bought a hippo tang for my (now his) 55, and while it's still going strong at 7" or so, I'd really like it in a bigger tank. HOWEVER, it's also still doing pretty well, ~8 years down the line...as long as we don't add any more fish to the tank. If you absolutely positively must have a tang, consider a Tomini instead, which is one of the smallest available tangs. And add it last and assume you'll never be able to add another fish to the tank ever again.

If you decide to keep going on with the yellow tang + the other angelfish, I'm worried about the lemonpeel. Not only does it have conspecifics in terms of other angelfish, but the same coloring as a yellow tang means that they'll see each other as competitors. If it was the lemonpeel plus the yellow tang OR the lemonpeel plus the other angelfish, I'd be less concerned, but here you have a yellow tang AND other angelfish.

Have you considered getting maybe two of the same kind of angelfish, and establishing a breeding pair, instead of having three different species? Also what type of saltwater tank are you going for? FOWLR? Mixed Reef? I'm concerned about nutrient loads with that many fish. I STILL have to deal with algae issues with only four fish (hippo tang, flame angelfish, pair of clownfish) even with an overrated protein skimmer and lots of live rock.

OP
OP
Patric1

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go with either a Kole or a Yellow tang for a 55. My dad bought a hippo tang for my (now his) 55, and while it's still going strong at 7" or so, I'd really like it in a bigger tank. HOWEVER, it's also still doing pretty well, ~8 years down the line...as long as we don't add any more fish to the tank. If you absolutely positively must have a tang, consider a Tomini instead, which is one of the smallest available tangs. And add it last and assume you'll never be able to add another fish to the tank ever again.

If you decide to keep going on with the yellow tang + the other angelfish, I'm worried about the lemonpeel. Not only does it have conspecifics in terms of other angelfish, but the same coloring as a yellow tang means that they'll see each other as competitors. If it was the lemonpeel plus the yellow tang OR the lemonpeel plus the other angelfish, I'd be less concerned, but here you have a yellow tang AND other angelfish.

Have you considered getting maybe two of the same kind of angelfish, and establishing a breeding pair, instead of having three different species? Also what type of saltwater tank are you going for? FOWLR? Mixed Reef? I'm concerned about nutrient loads with that many fish. I STILL have to deal with algae issues with only four fish (hippo tang, flame angelfish, pair of clownfish) even with an overrated protein skimmer and lots of live rock.
Thank you for all of this to start, i will look into the Tomini like you mentioned. The thing you mentioned about the yellow makes sense and i didn’t even think about it that way. It’s also a good point of getting a pair.. my plan is to have fish,inverts, anemone or a torch.. (i just like the color and movement they present, but would be later on down the line)

Seffner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was going to get two tangs, those would be the two I would go with. That said, there's a reason so many advise against tangs in smaller tanks, much less two tangs in a smaller tank.

Are you planning to upgrade pretty soon down the road? If you are absolutely sure you will, then getting small ones and taking the steps to provide them with an appropriate sized tank isn't the worst thing you could do.

Aside from that, the tank looks good! Are you sticking with FOWLR and are you planning on adding more rock? I'm not experienced enough to critique, I'm just curious. I'm interested in how people aquascape. If there are others that know more about it, maybe they can offer suggestions on how the layout of the rocks might impact the livestock.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no tang enforcement agent is on the way! I would just pick one big fish or tang for this set up. Or perhaps no tangs. I have done it and don’t recommend it.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back